IGNORED

Squish'em Sam.

Madaracs

I have been playing the hell out of my ColecoVision lately. I find myself sneaking down to my man cave for a quick game whenever I can! To set the scene, my "office" is wall to wall video game stuff. On one side, I've got my original Apple IIc and a Vectrex with my modren computorz snuggled up next to them on the adjacent wall. On the opposite wall, I've got 3 cabaret arcade games (Monaco GP, Ms. Pac-Man and a 48-in-1 Solar Fox Cabinet. Squished between them, I've got a 21" stereo TV on a stand with 4 consoles: SNES, Sega Sports Edition DreamCast (black), N64 and my ColecoVision. In the corner I've got a homemade TV Stand shaped like a arcade game that holds a 13" TV and an additional 4 consoles: NES, 'Cube, JVC X'Eye and SMS. All consoles are connected to auto-sensing video switches for ease of use with the exception of the ColecoVision which gets special treatment with a direct hookup via RG-6/Coaxial Connector. My 7800, 5200, 2600, Sears Consoles, Saturn and other consoles are boxed and in my closet with all of my games. Also in my closet is an addional NES and Vic20 hooked up to a Commodore 1702. In short, there is no shortage of video game madness in my office. [/bragging]

Yet, the ColecoVision is getting all the love lately. I blame the Ultimate SD cartridge and the recent work Yurkie has done for me on my controllers. It's simply a BLAST to play this thing all of the time.

And now why I really posted. ;) Of particular interest lately is a cartridge I picked up from the Marketplace last week... Squish'em Sam. I had never even heard of this game until I bought the lot last week. And for the last couple of days it's been quite addicting. Am I the only one that thinks this game is totally rad? Other opinions? Is it rare or anything? Anyway, I love it.

Edited by Madaracs

I have been playing the hell out of my ColecoVision lately. I find myself sneaking down to my man cave for a quick game whenever I can! To set the scene, my "office" is wall to wall video game stuff. On one side, I've got my original Apple IIc and a Vectrex with my modren computorz snuggled up next to them on the adjacent wall. On the opposite wall, I've got 3 cabaret arcade games (Monaco GP, Ms. Pac-Man and a 48-in-1 Solar Fox Cabinet. Squished between them, I've got a 21" stereo TV on a stand with 4 consoles: SNES, Sega Sports Edition DreamCast (black), N64 and my ColecoVision. In the corner I've got a homemade TV Stand shaped like a arcade game that holds a 13" TV and an additional 4 consoles: NES, 'Cube, JVC X'Eye and SMS. All consoles are connected to auto-sensing video switches for ease of use with the exception of the ColecoVision which gets special treatment with a direct hookup via RG-6/Coaxial Connector. My 7800, 5200, 2600, Sears Consoles, Saturn and other consoles are boxed and in my closet with all of my games. Also in my closet is an addional NES and Vic20 hooked up to a Commodore 1702. In short, there is no shortage of video game madness in my office. [/bragging]

Yet, the ColecoVision is getting all the love lately. I blame the Ultimate SD cartridge and the recent work Yurkie has done for me on my controllers. It's simply a BLAST to play this thing all of the time.

And now why I really posted. ;) Of particular interest lately is a cartridge I picked up from the Marketplace last week... Squish'em Sam. I had never even heard of this game until I bought the lot last week. And for the last couple of days it's been quite addicting. Am I the only one that thinks this game is totally rad? Other opinions? Is it rare or anything? Anyway, I love it.

Sounds like you have a really nice gaming set-up! You should post a couple pics.

I will have play some Squish'em Sam. I have never played it other than a few minutes to see what it looks like.

Here recently my 3 new to me games that I have been having fun with are Flipper Slipper, Frantic Freddy and Tutankhamen.

Would love to see some pics of this amazing Man-Cave!!! And yes, Squish'Em Sam is a pretty fun and dare I say overlooked game. I never did give it the time it deserves as well as Sewer Sam.

Ain't it a shame that all those Atari systems are boxed up in the closet! :)

Would love to see some pics of this amazing Man-Cave!!! And yes, Squish'Em Sam is a pretty fun and dare I say overlooked game. I never did give it the time it deserves as well as Sewer Sam.

Ok, dudes. :) As soon as I get my Canon camera back from repair, I'll shoot a couple and post them with a reply in the forum. The ManCave really extends the length of my basement. I also own a Tron cocktail machine, a coin-op dart board and modern consoles as well. I'll do my best to cover my collection.

Ain't it a shame that all those Atari systems are boxed up in the closet! :)

The Atari stuff is all within reach with the 7800 being the most used of the bunch. I'm particularly fond of the Super Pac-Man (7800) and Juno First right now. I've got everything organized in tubs.

Haven't played Squish em Sam yet even though I have it. Thanks for the heads up I will try it out.

I have bought so many games this year that I haven't had the time to play most of them. I went from owning like 30 CIB to owning like 180 some games in one year :)

That is why I started doing the High Score club to get me to play some of the games more.

One of the games Threshold that we played in the club I really enjoyed. It is like a freaked out version of space invaders.

I also had a lot of fun playing Bump n Jump but I always loved that game from when I was a kid playing it on Intellivision.

Of course!Squish'em Sam is one of the best for the Colecovision.It's one of those "can't stop playing" games", or CSP's, I call them.That game gets the most play in my CV console.I got it of Ebay a while back, one of the best purchases I ever made, paid a lot, but worth it. :thumbsup: ;)

Of course!Squish'em Sam is one of the best for the Colecovision.It's one of those "can't stop playing" games", or CSP's, I call them.That game gets the most play in my CV console.I got it of Ebay a while back, one of the best purchases I ever made, paid a lot, but worth it. :thumbsup: ;)

Squish'em Sam is a good game. I'm curious. I don't have the cart but use an emulator. On MESS, there are words spoken like Ooops, Ouch, wow, ect. On other emulators like MEKA, BlueMSX, and Virtual ADAM there are no words spoken. I assume the cart has words in it. There are no words with the MSX version either.

Yes, both Squish 'Em and it's cousin Sewer Sam have voice synthesis in them. As I recall, Coleco claimed this couldn't be done in a cartridge game for their system and Interphase went and proved them wrong.

It's somewhat of a mystery to me, however, why you can't hear it on most emulators. I didn't even know the voice came across on MESS. I'll have to check that out.

Squish'em Sam is a good game. I'm curious. I don't have the cart but use an emulator. On MESS, there are words spoken like Ooops, Ouch, wow, ect. On other emulators like MEKA, BlueMSX, and Virtual ADAM there are no words spoken. I assume the cart has words in it. There are no words with the MSX version either.

Yes, both Squish 'Em and it's cousin Sewer Sam have voice synthesis in them. As I recall, Coleco claimed this couldn't be done in a cartridge game for their system and Interphase went and proved them wrong.

It's somewhat of a mystery to me, however, why you can't hear it on most emulators. I didn't even know the voice came across on MESS. I'll have to check that out.

Hi Joe,

I tried Sewer Sam on different emulators. On Virtual ADAM there's no extra words. On MEKA there's words but it's not too good sounding. BlueMSX and MESS both have good sounds and words.

Hi Joe,

I tried Sewer Sam on different emulators. On Virtual ADAM there's no extra words. On MEKA there's words but it's not too good sounding. BlueMSX and MESS both have good sounds and words.

For anything ColecoVision related, always start with the BlueMSX Emulator. It has the best CV emulation around minus the extra controllers (Roller Cont., Driving Module), but the developers said they are working on adding that as well. The next best emulation of the ColecoVision is M.E.S.S., the ColecoVision option... not the ADAM Computer. There are still some deficiences in both of these emulators, but they are way ahead of all the others that emulate the ColecoVision.

- About Featuring Sam Coleco Games -

As for Squish'em Sam and Sewer Sam games, I kinda like them both, even if I think that sometimes Sewer Sam is unfair (well, if you play the difficult levels, you will see). The concept of climbing a building and squish bugs and various other things along the way is a very good idea. Not being able to squish twice the same ennemy is the twist that force you to keep going up, to finish the level as fast as possible. The CV Interface games are challenging and fun, with a nice touch of cartoon sillyness, and are certainly great in a CV videogames collection.

- About Emulators -

Marcel de Kogel know about the issue of not hearing digital sounds with his emulator AdamEm, and know also how to fix it, but never fixed it.

ColEm based emulators may have the ability to hear the digitalized sounds, but there are all too fast.

BlueMSX render of digital sounds for ColecoVision games is too fast too, about 20% faster than reality.

Based on Interface games, I've made my own ColecoVision rom files with digital sounds, and my most famous ones are the game Jeepers Creepers and the demo ADAMCon15.

My latest work on digital sounds for the ColecoVision provides a little better sound quality, but it still cost a lot of ROM space. My tries with "Sabrina - Boys Boys Boys" are somehow well know for the Coleco programmers and a few Coleco fans.

Edited by newcoleco

- About Featuring Sam Coleco Games -

As for Squish'em Sam and Sewer Sam games, I kinda like them both, even if I think that sometimes Sewer Sam is unfair (well, if you play the difficult levels, you will see). The concept of climbing a building and squish bugs and various other things along the way is a very good idea. Not being able to squish twice the same ennemy is the twist that force you to keep going up, to finish the level as fast as possible. The CV Interface games are challenging and fun, with a nice touch of cartoon sillyness, and are certainly great in a CV videogames collection.

- About Emulators -

Marcel de Kogel know about the issue of not hearing digital sounds with his emulator AdamEm, and know also how to fix it, but never fixed it.

ColEm based emulators may have the ability to hear the digitalized sounds, but there are all too fast.

BlueMSX render of digital sounds for ColecoVision games is too fast too, about 20% faster than reality.

Based on Interface games, I've made my own ColecoVision rom files with digital sounds, and my most famous ones are the game Jeepers Creepers and the demo ADAMCon15.

My latest work on digital sounds for the ColecoVision provides a little better sound quality, but it still cost a lot of ROM space. My tries with "Sabrina - Boys Boys Boys" are somehow well know for the Coleco programmers and a few Coleco fans.

Never knew you did the Sabrina song, thought Dvik did that one as well as the other digitized sound rom since I found them on his site. Mental note made!

Never knew you did the Sabrina song, thought Dvik did that one as well as the other digitized sound rom since I found them on his site. Mental note made!

Wait, don't change the rom name yet because it's also true.

People who subscribed to the colecoprogramming group on Yahoo was perfectly aware of this :

I was the first to try the Sabrina song. Dvik wanted to show his way too by using the same song. Unfortunately, Dvik result suffered of an incorrect speed rendering (on real hardware), while my sample was ok.

That's one of my files (press fire to start playing) :

cv-sabrina-boysboysboys-sample-danielbienvenu.zip

I guess this experience helped both of us, for example, the CV game featuring "Elmo" (by Dvik) plays digitalized sounds correctly.

Note : the emulation on BlueMSX regarding digital sounds is about 20% too fast.

Dvik uses a method of changing a single sound channel volume at a time, while mine is about changing all 3 tone channels volume at once. Based on what I understand of both methods, the one used by Divk can offer a better compression ratio because only needed to encode in 4 bits for a constant rate while my method is 4 more bits but for a variable rate. If the sound isn't too complex my method allow a better compression, otherwise the method used by Dvik is better.

Edited by newcoleco

Absolutely love this game! Got to be one of my favorite games for the CV! I remember when it first came out and was floored by the voice!

I'm surprised there were not more games that attempted voice... The Odyssey 2 had to have a whole separate module to even have the capability. Pretty cool that the CV was able to do it natively.

I like it when you reach the top of the building and it says "Fun!, Fun!, Fun!". That voice is hilarious.

I thought it was "money, money, money" when Sam got to the top, could it be both?, I'll have to play again tonight and see.

I like it when you reach the top of the building and it says "Fun!, Fun!, Fun!". That voice is hilarious.

I thought it was "money, money, money" when Sam got to the top, could it be both?, I'll have to play again tonight and see.

I thought he said "Money! Money! Money!" too. But then again the sample isn't that clear. He could be saying, "Honey Honey Honey" for all I know...

Here is a direct link to the Squish em Sam but it also has almost all the other games as well. He doesn't put Telegames on there though so I guess you would have to find those pictures elsewhere.

Suish em Sam picture link

By the way if you click on the pictures then they bring up better pictures and also for the manual it brings up the pdf for it.

Edited by ColecoDan

Here is a direct link to the Squish em Sam but it also has almost all the other games as well. He doesn't put Telegames on there though so I guess you would have to find those pictures elsewhere.

Suish em Sam picture link

By the way if you click on the pictures then they bring up better pictures and also for the manual it brings up the pdf for it.

Very cool. Awesome artwork on the box.

It is a pretty cool game. I just bought the boxed game, now I just need a manual for it.

Nice. Any chance you could post a photo? I've never seen the box.

I haven't received it yet, it is an Ebay purchase. Here are the 3 pics put together into 1 pic. I just hope it arrives safety, looks to be in pretty good condition.

post-23318-128595049708_thumb.jpg

It is a pretty cool game. I just bought the boxed game, now I just need a manual for it.

Nice. Any chance you could post a photo? I've never seen the box.

I haven't received it yet, it is an Ebay purchase. Here are the 3 pics put together into 1 pic. I just hope it arrives safety, looks to be in pretty good condition.

It's beautimous. :thumbsup:

I thought he said "Money! Money! Money!" too. But then again the sample isn't that clear. He could be saying, "Honey Honey Honey" for all I know...

I watched a video on Youtube and it clearly says "money."

I played it again last night on my CV and Adam and it always leaves out the "e" sound. So it sounds like "mun" or "fun".