IGNORED

Alien Greed Adventure

atari2600land

I slaved away for like 3 or 4 hours at a time to bring you this newest version. I'm trying to make it more and more like Adventure. Tell me what you think of this version.

Love it! Pretty addictive game.

I may have found a slight bug (not sure). At one point, while playing, the dragon captured me near one of the yellow walls, but I managed to escape. It looked as if when I broke free, the dragon was on the yellow line. For the next 3 - 4 boards, the dragon didn't pursue me. I thought that maybe he got trapped behind the wall, but eventually he reappeared. Not able to reproduce it, so not sure it was a glitch, or if it even matters. It was nice not having that bastard breathing down my neck for a couple of boards :D

Again, nice job on the game :)

-B

A couple of suggestions -- Perhaps once you defeat the dot with the chalice, the next round should have a different layout with more boards/rooms. You could also introduce the bat, and set it up so that if the bat touches you he takes away a point (or two). Not sure if you'd be able to accommodate that, but it would definitely add to the game, and make it more challenging.

-B

A major change has happened. I had been trying to make escaping the duck's clutches easier. Since I have succeeded, I put in a time limit for getting the cartridges. If you absoutely hate the idea, I can take it out. The cartridge collecting time limit now is set at 6 seconds. There is no time limit in the chalice throwing boss segment though. Brian O., as well as anyone else, there is a slightly different room arrangement that you can access at the title screen. Having the left difficulty switch in the A setting opens two more rooms, thus combined with the 6-second time limit, makes the game even harder! (And by the way, if anyone tests this on real software, please tell me how the game goes.)

ag4112010.bas.bin

ag4112010.bas

A major change has happened. I had been trying to make escaping the duck's clutches easier. Since I have succeeded, I put in a time limit for getting the cartridges. If you absoutely hate the idea, I can take it out. The cartridge collecting time limit now is set at 6 seconds. There is no time limit in the chalice throwing boss segment though. Brian O., as well as anyone else, there is a slightly different room arrangement that you can access at the title screen. Having the left difficulty switch in the A setting opens two more rooms, thus combined with the 6-second time limit, makes the game even harder! (And by the way, if anyone tests this on real software, please tell me how the game goes.)

Really digging the time limit, but I think 6 seconds is too short. You may want to up that to ~8-10 seconds, especially on the setting with more rooms. I found myself dying pretty quickly because I had to search for the next dot, and there just wasn't enough time to.

Overall, I'm liking this game more and more. I will try and copy this to my Harmony cart and test on my 2600 this evening. I'll let you know if there's any surprises.

-B

Really digging the time limit, but I think 6 seconds is too short. You may want to up that to ~8-10 seconds, especially on the setting with more rooms. I found myself dying pretty quickly because I had to search for the next dot, and there just wasn't enough time to.

Overall, I'm liking this game more and more. I will try and copy this to my Harmony cart and test on my 2600 this evening. I'll let you know if there's any surprises.

-B

One bug I noticed is that you start out with 3 guys (the one you're playing, plus 2 in reserve), but if when you get killed the first time, by the time running out or a dragon eating you, you lose the two guys in reserve (they actually disappear), so that the next time you die your game is over. So, you are now getting only 2 total lives.

-B

One bug I noticed is that you start out with 3 guys (the one you're playing, plus 2 in reserve), but if when you get killed the first time, by the time running out or a dragon eating you, you lose the two guys in reserve (they actually disappear), so that the next time you die your game is over. So, you are now getting only 2 total lives.

OK, this bug has been fixed and I upped the time limit to 8 seconds. And the reason I'm not posting a .bas file is that I have put in an Easter egg I'm working on and I don't want to give away its location or how to get to it. But if you do happen to stumble upon it, by all means, post it here (just don't divulge how to get to it) and tell me what you think of it.

ag4112010_v2.bas.bin

OK, this bug has been fixed and I upped the time limit to 8 seconds. And the reason I'm not posting a .bas file is that I have put in an Easter egg I'm working on and I don't want to give away its location or how to get to it. But if you do happen to stumble upon it, by all means, post it here (just don't divulge how to get to it) and tell me what you think of it.

The 8 second time limit is much better, in my opinion. Haven't found the Easter egg yet. But I'll keep looking :)

-B

Color matching time! Staying true to the original Adventure, I decided that the colors in Alien Greed Adventure should match the ones in the original Adventure. I've come pretty close to finishing this, except there's still one shade that's bugging me. I don't even think I'd begin to understand the ways you'd hack into the program and find out what colors are used. What I've done is taken a snapshot and compared them to the list provided here. And for the life of me cannot figure out what color is the playfield in the picture below (original Adventure.) I've tried like four different close shades and can't find the perfect match. I'm using Stella as my emulator.

post-9475-129041892562_thumb.png

Cool! Thanks again. This latest version has a few changes:

+ Minor changes to all the room colors and the dragon to match Adventure

+ Changed color of the room beside the starting room to blue

+ Changed time limit to match size of game. the 4-room mode is 8 seconds and the 6-room mode is 10 seconds.

Tell me what you think.

ag4112210.bas.bin

Cool! Thanks again. This latest version has a few changes:

+ Minor changes to all the room colors and the dragon to match Adventure

+ Changed color of the room beside the starting room to blue

+ Changed time limit to match size of game. the 4-room mode is 8 seconds and the 6-room mode is 10 seconds.

Tell me what you think.

Hey, man, game looks great. Still have yet to try the 6-room mode, but the 8 seconds seems to be good for the 4-room mode.

Found one bug -- The boss screen w/ the chalice does not appear after getting the 20th dot. Instead, you are thrown back to the title screen, and your game ends.

-B

Found one bug -- The boss screen w/ the chalice does not appear after getting the 20th dot. Instead, you are thrown back to the title screen, and your game ends.

Bug fixed. Thanks, Brian.

Much better! :) This game is pretty addicting. How far do you plan on taking it?

-B

Actually, I think it's close to being finished. I've done all the stuff and reached all my goals I wanted to accomplish with this one, so all that's left basically is some minor polishing (although I can't really find something I'd want to change at this point.) Next step once I finish it is see if Neo would be interested in making this an actual cart. (He started the Alien Greed series, hacking and selling one of my earliest games, called "Ants", this was back when I just got started programming and playing Atari for the first time in 2006. This is the fourth game in that series. The first three revolved around E.T.) If Neo doesn't want to do it, I'd like Al (Albert Yarusso, AtariAge's head honcho) to take a look at it and see if he's interested.

Actually, I think it's close to being finished. I've done all the stuff and reached all my goals I wanted to accomplish with this one, so all that's left basically is some minor polishing (although I can't really find something I'd want to change at this point.) Next step once I finish it is see if Neo would be interested in making this an actual cart. (He started the Alien Greed series, hacking and selling one of my earliest games, called "Ants", this was back when I just got started programming and playing Atari for the first time in 2006. This is the fourth game in that series. The first three revolved around E.T.) If Neo doesn't want to do it, I'd like Al (Albert Yarusso, AtariAge's head honcho) to take a look at it and see if he's interested.

Awesome. Good luck. I hope this gets made into a cart. I'd definitely buy it.

Again, nice job. :thumbsup:

-B

A little update: Neo's interested in publishing this one. And also, he told me he had just shipped out the non-US copies of Alien Greed 3. Now, I've made a few changes, but I won't put the binary file in, I'll just explain it to you. After you get the 19th cart, a key pops up. You need to enter the castle with the key in order to get to the boss stage. If the key and the dragon are on the same screen, they will flicker, just like in the original Adventure. Oh, and this, too:

post-9475-129051099197_thumb.png

A little update: Neo's interested in publishing this one. And also, he told me he had just shipped out the non-US copies of Alien Greed 3. Now, I've made a few changes, but I won't put the binary file in, I'll just explain it to you. After you get the 19th cart, a key pops up. You need to enter the castle with the key in order to get to the boss stage. If the key and the dragon are on the same screen, they will flicker, just like in the original Adventure. Oh, and this, too:

Nice! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the cart.

-B

• 2 weeks later...