IGNORED

Fantastic Arcade - Austin, TX - Sep 23 - Sep 26

Bruce Tomlin

I'm surprised there wasn't a mention of this here already. I first heard about it by seeing it in the newspaper on Thurday (the day it started), then an e-mail from the local retro games store later that day. Googling for it, I can't even find its web site on the first page. I got the link from an article about it.

http://www.fantasticfest.com/

Basically, the Alamo Drafthouse folks who have been running a film festival have started one for video games that seems to be running at the same time.

The important information is somewhat hard to find amid all the hype about how awesome and groundbreaking it is and this is such an awesome film festival that oh yeah has some video games somewhere, but here's what I've found:

Cost:

* a single day pass is $20

* a weekend VIP pass is $60

* film festival badges can apparently count

* apparently at the 1200 block of S. Lamar

* some place called the "Highball", which doesn't mean much to someone who lives in far NW Austin

I see an Alamo Drafthouse sign on street view, and I think there is or was a Salvation Army store in the vicinity.

Schedule for all for days (apparently):

* 11 am to 6 pm – Arcade open for game play and tournaments

* 6 pm to 7:30 pm – Fantastic Arcade happy hour (weekend badges only) and tournament finals

* 8 pm to 11 pm – Fantastic Arcade VIP Party (weekend badges only)

I don't know if I'm going to go, but I wanted to make sure it was at least mentioned here.