IGNORED

Atari 600xl

Rik

Hi all.I saw today a 600xl in very nice condition with all the connectors, power supply, and manual, no games.They want $50.00.Is that a fair price, and what are the games like?.I wasn't sure whether or not to buy it, as i'm not familiar with the xl line and the game availability and affordability.Thanx.

Edited by Rik

I think it's a little high, but not unfair at all. $70 would be unfair. I bought a really nice 600XL recently for much less than $50, but I did have to pay shipping. Sounds like yours is local.

The 600XL is perfect for the new Czech memory expansion 320XL which would possibly solve any problems with disk software etc. but I don't know availability of 320XL and there is some concern about Ataris with "Mexican CPUs" not working.

Hi all.I saw today a 600xl in very nice condition with all the connectors, power supply, and manual, no games.They want $50.00.Is that a fair price, and what are the games like?.I wasn't sure whether or not to buy it, as i'm not familiar with the xl line and the game availability and affordability.Thanx.

I'm pretty sure the 600 is stock.How much more powerful is the 600xl compared to the 400?.I have 2 Atari 400's which both work well, which I have tons of games for. I just realized games played on the 400 can also be played on the 600.I also saw several 600xl's on Ebay pictured with all games I play on my 400.I also have 3 of those 410 I think they're called cassette tape recorders, none of them work.I figure I can't take advantage of the tape games because I can never find a working 410. :x Thanx for helpful replies so far!

Edited by Rik

I'm pretty sure the 600 is stock.How much more powerful is the 600xl compared to the 400?.I have 2 Atari 400's which both work well, which I have tons of games for. I just realized games played on the 400 can also be played on the 600.I also saw several 600xl's on Ebay pictured with all games I play on my 400.I also have 3 of those 410 I think they're called cassette tape recorders, none of them work.I figure I can't take advantage of the tape games because I can never find a working 410. :x Thanx for helpful replies so far!

it isnt really 'more' powerful as the basic chips are the same ( CPU, ANTIC/GTIA, Pokey, etc) the big difference is the 600XL is a 800XL with only 16K, so if you upgrade the ram to 64k (rather simple to do) you can use just about any 400/800 game (but not all) and all XL/XE software, that doesnt require more then 64k (which is just about all) and you will have for all intents and purposes a 800XL...

sloopy.

I have paid $40 shipped for a boxed stock 64K 600xl from Canada. It all depends on what is included with the system. For a bare computer below $20 shipped would be my starting point. I have picked them up mainly for the keyboard or PAL Antic and monitor port.

At $50, I would expect either the 600xl is boxed and basically new. If loose, I would expect a half dozen common games and 2 joysticks included. Any less and you are better off waiting for a 800xl or other 64k computers. I would offer him $20 if this is local.

You all have to be kidding. $50 a good price for a 600XL?!? Please. You can't even run DOS in 16k can you? You might as well get a XEGS if all you're going to do is play cartridge games with it. The memory expansions for the 600XL are too few and far between to make it worth it to even buy a 600XL as anything but a novelty.

Well you can upgrade it to 64Kb for the price of two chips and 3 wires. I did it to one of mine recently and the chips cost me about £10. There is also supposed to be another run of ctirad's RAM320XLs on the way which is (pretty much) plug and play and gives you 320Kb of RAM in a PBI module.

I love my 600XL - it has 320Kb of RAM (64Kb internal), Mega-Hz stereo mod, superb video quality and takes up no room on the desk. It's become my daily play machine and will probably remain so until my VBXE turns up.

Would I pay $50 for one? Hmm, I guess they turn up less often than the more common machines but for $50 I think it would have to be boxed. I picked one up recently in the UK for £5 loose. Turns out it has a bad keyboard but that's an easy fix.