IGNORED

no_blank_lines

Philsan

Why, if I design a playfield with Visual bB, with playfield colors option enabled, and I select Preview in Emulator: standard kernel: no_blank_lines, I get this result?

Unfortunately, that's how it works-- the graphics data for the next line is loaded and stored before the color data for the next line, so the color of the previous line carries over at the top of the new line. The only way to fix it would be to rewrite the kernel to try to time the color change better.

Michael

You discovered me!

I am working on this game.

Thanks Michael.

Duane, you should add Michael's explanation (or at least this behaviour) in bB Commands page.

BTW, you should also add that scanline "magic number" for PAL50 and PAL60 is 312.

EDIT: as pointed out by SeaGTGruff, actually PAL60 "magic number" is 262 and not 312.

Edited by Philsan

Unfortunately, that's how it works-- the graphics data for the next line is loaded and stored before the color data for the next line, so the color of the previous line carries over at the top of the new line. The only way to fix it would be to rewrite the kernel to try to time the color change better.

I've called that the icing on the cake. If that ever gets fixed, I hope we'll have a choice to keep or get rid of the icing. When I get done with the game I'm working on now, I'll try to finish the following works in progress that use the icing on purpose to make thin lines:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166826-so-far-so-good/page__view__findpost__p__2065923

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/127258-unnamed-scrolling-game-work-in-progress/

If batari gets rid of the icing completely, we won't be able to do what is shown in the links above.

Duane, you should add Michael's explanation (or at least this behaviour) in bB Commands page.

BTW, you should also add that scanline "magic number" for PAL50 and PAL60 is 312.

OK, I'll add it now so I won't forget.

It's 312 for PAL/50, but 262 for PAL/60. To make a PAL/60 game in bB, use "set tv ntsc," but use the PAL color values.

Yes, I am sorry for the mistake.

I have done NTSC, PAL50 and PAL60 versions of L.E.M. but I forgot PAL60 "magic number"!