IGNORED

Sellers: Private Ebay Auctions - Pros and Cons

voiddweller

Hahaha, dead funny, I just posted the link to some of my auctions in the marketplace forum and they all happen to be private.

The reason is simple, there is a lot of people who do nothing but watch auctions end and then contact the second, third ... blah blah highest bidders and offer them the same product for their high-bid price. The other reason is to prevent other collectors from knowing who wants what, some people don't like to be 'monitored' !

I am sure someone can come up with more reasons but those are mine.

:)

CPUWIZ -

That seems like a good reason! Now that I think about it, I have been contacted in similar situations, but it has been very infrequent.

Has anyone noticed if private auctions close for more or less money than similar auctions where the bidders' identities are not protected?

Thanks!

- VD

I have listed some auctions as private specifically to prevent other people from contacting my bidders in an attempt to sell the same item that I was selling at a cheaper price. The one problem with this is when someone leaves feedback for a private auction. I had one asshole who bought a private auction leave me negative feedback saying that my auction was deceptive. He was upset because he later found the same item cheaper elsewhere on the net and I would not refund him the difference. Well, since it was a private auction no one can click to a link to that auction to see that my auction description was not deceptive.

A reason for the seller could be a potential bidder may notice the high bidder

is someone who constantly overpays for items and may not bid for the simple

reason that they figure the other guy will only outbid them or they may have to

bid so high it would not be worth it.

Also a good reason a buyer may like a private auction could be that some

collectors watch what certain experienced individuals are bidding on and then

jump in only because they figure its a good item.

Also a good reason a buyer may like a private auction could be that some collectors watch what certain experienced individuals are bidding on and then jump in only because they figure its a good item.

That is why many collectors fill in "Germany" as their country, as it is not possible to do a search for German sellers on eBay.

Cheers,

Marco

Also a good reason a buyer may like a private auction could be that some collectors watch what certain experienced individuals are bidding on and then jump in only because they figure its a good item.

That is why many collectors fill in "Germany" as their country, as it is not possible to do a search for German sellers on eBay.

Cheers,

Marco

I never knew that! I guess it may have something to do with the German privacy laws?

Being new to private auctions, I noticed one seller put her location as "EVERYONE CAN BID ON PRIVATE AUCTIONS!"

Do you all think that some notification like this is necessary for Ebay Buyers?

Thanks!

- VD

Cheers,

Marco

Grrr, I know all to well about German privacy laws, you can't even see what German bidders have on their bid list. :D