IGNORED

High Score Club 8.08 - Demon Attack

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Marooned on the ice planet Krybor, you watch legions of eerie creatures scream overhead. They hover ominously. They give you no quarter. Attack and destroy them, or be destroyed! Armed with your Laser Cannon, you confront the ultimate challenge: SURVIVE!

demonattack-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Demon Attack
  • Released By: Imagic, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert - Aggressive Demons
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday October 6th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Survivor - Score 50,000 points or higher, and you'll get 3 bonus points.
    • oyamafamily [+3]
    • toymailman [+3]
    • JacobZu7zu7 [+3]

Current High Scores
  1. 394,465 (oyamafamily) [+11]
  2. 144,725 (toymailman) [+10]
  3. 61,220 (JacobZu7zu7) [+9]
  4. 34,990 (zylon) [+8]
  5. 31,295 (Deteacher) [+7]
  6. 30,505 (Zoyx) [+6]
  7. 24,740 (Scrabbler15) [+5]
  8. 18,385 (doctorclu) [+4]
  9. 15,520 (Chuck D. Head) [+3]
  10. 11,110 (pis) [+2]
  11. 10,975 (keilbaca) [+1]
  12. 7385 (roadrunner) [+1]
  13. 7330 (littleman jack) [+1]
  14. 6150 (ClassicGMR) [+1]
  15. 6000 (SpaceDice2010) [+1]
  16. 3990 (Miss 2600) [+1]

Best Tips
  • JacobZu7zu7 [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 1,556,345 (Paul Zimmerman)
  2. 1,005,340 (Frankie Cardulla)
  3. 758,980 (Todd Rogers)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [97]
  2. Scrabber15 [86]
  3. JacobZu7zu7 [77]
  4. Deteacher [66]
  5. oyamafamily [60]up.gif
  6. Jifremok [54]down.gif
  7. zylon [51]
  8. roadrunner [38]
  9. ClassicGMR [24]
  10. keilbaca [23]
  11. LarcenTyler [17]
  12. HatefulGravey [17]
  13. pis [14]
  14. Miss 2600 [14]up.gif
  15. Chuck D. Head [14]down.gif
  16. Pioneer4x4 [12]
  17. SeaGtGruff [12]up.gif
  18. Zoyx [8]down.gif
  19. MrJimbo [8]down.gif
  20. doctorclu [8]up.gif
  21. satan165 [7]down.gif
  22. Mister VCS [5]down.gif
  23. 4Ks [4]down.gif
  24. ed1475 [2]
  25. pacmanplayer [2]
  26. Austin [1]
  27. rmaerz [1]
  28. littleman jack [1]
  29. MIKE5200 [1]

Scoring Points in Demon Attack
  • During wave 1, shooting a Demon will give you 10 points.
  • Every odd-numbered wave after the 1st, the point value of a Demon increases by 5, up to a maximum of 35 points at the 11th wave.
  • During wave 5, shooting a split Demon will give you 40 points.
  • Every odd-numbered wave after the 5th, the point value of a split Demon increases by 10, up to a maximum of 70 points at the 11th wave.
  • During wave 5, shooting a diving Demon will give you 80 points.
  • Every odd-numbered wave after the 5th, the point value of a diving Demon increases by 20, up to a maximum of 140 points at the 11th wave.

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any specific hints.

We played this game once before in the High Score Club, you might want to check out that thread for more hints.

Scrabbler15

1. Read the tips in the thread from last time. There are lots of tips and ideas on different ways to approach the game. I'll just add some of my thoughts to add to these tips.
  2. For the small oo ships, try using a duck-in-shoot-duck-out-the-same-side method. I had been trying to do the cross-under-and-shoot thing, but I found I was more consistent the other way. If the small ship is chasing across the screen or if you're gonna get trapped in the corner, you have to do the cross-under-and-shoot and take your chances.
  3. Sometimes the lowest level gets lower than usual and kind of bears down on the ship. If you can shoot one of the upper level demons, it seems to take the pressure off and the lower level demons will move back up to their normal height.
  4. For the wider demons, once you get the bottom one split, go for splitting the rest. When the half-a-demon starts diving, keep shooting the bigs ones. The little ones will chase the ship, so you're gonna end up getting them anyhow. But in the meantime, the whole level can be cleared in a splitting/diving festival.

JacobZu7zu7

• On the wave with the big green demons who look like Frisbees,
    These can be tricky, it's very tough to run under them, so what I do, is "wait" next to the demons fire, and for the lowest demons fire to dissolve, then quickly get under and shoot! Then swing back away before the demon fires again! This works like a charm to get passed this wave, around the (800 points) stage.
  • When you reach the first wave when demons SPLIT
    It's best to aim for the demons in the second and third rows above, by hitting these in two, or even destroying them over and over you can get rid of many waves of demons. That way there's less demon fire to dodge all the time, however you have to avoid or shoot the birdies that fly down at ya... which brings to the next tip.
  • On the splitting demon waves.
    Now to destroy the demon birds flying down at ya, you either try to get under them and shoot, and if that doesn't work, swing to left or right next to the "demon-bird" itself above, and then quickly get back under it, and shoot again! This usually puts the birds in shooting range to kill 'em. Keep swinging left and right of these birds to kill 'em, and if you can't swing far away, hopefully away from any demon ships firing above!
    YOU SHOULD TAKE A RISK and kill the birds flying down, so you can concentrate more on finishing the wave. Only if you can get a good shoot do you want to run from the birds,
    as they can make you run into demons fire.
  • Having trouble getting backed into corners by Demon fire?
    Well, maybe a little known fact, I discovered "the bottom row" demons move or mimic your movements most of times, especially later in advanced waves. So, by moving the joystick left-right swiftly (consistently), you can move the demons away from your ship!, and they don't push you into the walls! Just make sure you don't move under the lowest Demons fire range, UNLESS you plan to escape to other side, or kill 'em.
  • THOSE TINY Demons that split two fire lasers at once...
    These are tough, this is the MOST important (2) waves in to "wiggle" the joystick left/right in a bit faster clip then before, and TRY to destroy the two top Demon rows, and leave the bottom one alone if you can, this way you can eliminate more demons near the top and not have to deal with the two laser fire which is hell difficult, to swing across beneath.

--Zero

No on the fixed rom, you must play the original game. If you make it to the kill screen, counts as a roll. Maybe we should set a roll score

post-11623-128590019722_thumb.jpg

Wow, I got nearly the exact same score. -minus 5 points.

I was tired after this game, starts to get draining after a while...

post-3059-128591078046_thumb.jpg

After a few tries - 15,520 on level 12. I thought that there was a fix later in the production and some carts did not end at level 84??? Not that I think I will have to worry about it; seems to me that I could only ever get to about level 30 or so, and I am sure that was on "Basic Bombardment"... Morgan

Here's my tips for the struggling-never-played-this-much-before crowd (like me):

1. Read the tips in the thread from last time. There are lots of tips and ideas on different ways to approach the game. I'll just add some of my thoughts to add to these tips.

2. For the small oo ships, try using a duck-in-shoot-duck-out-the-same-side method. I had been trying to do the cross-under-and-shoot thing, but I found I was more consistent the other way. If the small ship is chasing across the screen or if you're gonna get trapped in the corner, you have to do the cross-under-and-shoot and take your chances.

3. Sometimes the lowest level gets lower than usual and kind of bears down on the ship. If you can shoot one of the upper level demons, it seems to take the pressure off and the lower level demons will move back up to their normal height.

4. For the wider demons, once you get the bottom one split, go for splitting the rest. When the half-a-demon starts diving, keep shooting the bigs ones. The little ones will chase the ship, so you're gonna end up getting them anyhow. But in the meantime, the whole level can be cleared in a splitting/diving festival.

"I AM THE GREATEST SURVIVOR" - 394,465 - WAVE 240

post-24681-128615446993_thumb.jpg

Since I beat the previous 2600 HSC for this game (328,580 by the 5th ghost), here's my FINAL ATTEMPT!!

Now, I will play this game using Twin-Galaxies Tournament Settings (ONLY FOR STATISTICS):

Game 1 - Difficulty AA - 15 minutes TIME LIMIT.

For this variation, I will use my countdown.