IGNORED

I caved

JamesD

When my 360 died early this year and it wasn't covered under warranty, I swore I wouldn't buy another 360.

So... when my HTPC started having memory errors a few weeks ago, I bought a Vizio Blu-ray player with internet apps and WiFi support from WalMart. I figured I could watch Netflix, rent movies from vudo and listen to pandora internet music on it. Stupid thing had huge issues with my WiFi connection and I had to return it (150N I'm guessing). The new 4GB 360 was only $30 more so I bought one.

I tried to re-download videos I own a license for and they aren't available. Games I own that are now in the arcade... I would have to repurchase to have them in the arcade. While the new 360 works well with my N router, it doesn't support 5GHz so my "gaming router" I keep on the 5GHz band sits unused and the 360 accesses the internet through my $25 Encore 150N router. Their only 360 WiFi connection that doesn't support the 5GHz band. Their movie rentals are more expensive than vudu. The list goes on and on. I hate Microsoft more every day.

Oh well, Netflix works really well on the 360... at least until my gold subscription runs out.

Oh wait... they are raising the price of that.

How stupid am I? I didn't even buy an extended warranty

I tried to re-download videos I own a license for and they aren't available. Games I own that are now in the arcade... I would have to repurchase to have them in the arcade. While the new 360 works well with my N router, it doesn't support 5GHz so my "gaming router" I keep on the 5GHz band sits unused and the 360 accesses the internet through my $25 Encore 150N router. Their only 360 WiFi connection that doesn't support the 5GHz band. Their movie rentals are more expensive than vudu. The list goes on and on. I hate Microsoft more every day.

Oh well, Netflix works really well on the 360... at least until my gold subscription runs out.

Oh wait... they are raising the price of that.

How stupid am I? I didn't even buy an extended warranty

You should be able to transfer all your XBLA titles to your new console just fine as long as you retrieve your gamertag. I bought an Arcade and had no issues transferring my licenses to it.

so you'll only have to redownload your licenses, not entire games or videos. You can also buy a case so the hard drive won't move in there either.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

Sony charges the same rip off prices for their rentals on the PS3 too. At least Netflix is free there although you have to put a disc in your machine to watch streaming content. I'm still trying to figure out how they got stuck with doing it that way.

You should be able to transfer all your XBLA titles to your new console just fine as long as you retrieve your gamertag. I bought an Arcade and had no issues transferring my licenses to it.

so you'll only have to redownload your licenses, not entire games or videos. You can also buy a case so the hard drive won't move in there either.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

Being able to use my existing hard drive is part of the reason I decided to take the plunge. But I've decided to transfer most of the stuff to a 16GB flash drive since those are only $25 for a fast one (newegg.com) and it's almost as large as my hard drive. Microsoft's hard drive prices are nuts!

I just wish someone offered a case for the old hard drive.

There is a video on XBOX live explaining the license and file migration if anyone cares.

Sony charges the same rip off prices for their rentals on the PS3 too.

vudu had different prices for different movies and offered a 99 cent deal each day on one movie.

If vudu would have buffered more or downloaded to the machine before playing it would have been perfect for me.

At least Netflix is free there although you have to put a disc in your machine to watch streaming content. I'm still trying to figure out how they got stuck with doing it that way.

I think Microsoft better start including Netflix for free. XBOX gold costs almost as much as a Blu-ray player with it built in under their new pricing structure.

If WalMart hadn't been out of the wired only version of my VIZIO Blu-ray player I might have just gotten that.

The VIZIO has a nice package of internet apps... the wireless connection just sucked and they didn't seem in a hurry to offer a fix.

Now I'm going to see what black Friday deals there are before I buy another Blu-ray player.