IGNORED

Best Joystick for Atari 2600

RockinRollMcDonalds

Big fan of the CX-40 myself. I also use it on the 7800.

The standard 2600 controller is great, although these days I use them sporadically. As kids (during the 2600's salad days when they were the only choice) my friends and I beat the hell out of them and they held up great. Nowadays when I pick one up I feel as though it's going to snap if I'm too rough with it. How can one's perceptions be altered so dramatically, especially when actual experience proves otherwise?

Mike

As kids (during the 2600's salad days when they were the only choice) my friends and I beat the hell out of them and they held up great. Nowadays when I pick one up I feel as though it's going to snap if I'm too rough with it. How can one's perceptions be altered so dramatically, especially when actual experience proves otherwise?

I don't know, I broke every one of them I had as a kid, and it's not uncommon for me to come across broken ones at thrift shops.

They are one reason I like 500xj, which is much tougher. As a kid I broke only one of those, and it took me quite a while. The hinge on top of the trigger button finally gave out.

Edited by Reaperman

I have a preference for the Competition Pro JoySticks myself.

I assume you mean the Competition Pro 5000, but Coin Controls also made Competition Pro 1000 and 3000 models (which were similar to each other, but not to the 5000, were very cheaply made, and are rather rare). The 5000 is being reproduced today in several versions, without the "5000" model name, adding to the confusion.

• Like 1

I have a preference for the Competition Pro JoySticks myself.

I assume you mean the Competition Pro 5000, but Coin Controls also made Competition Pro 1000 and 3000 models (which were similar to each other, but not to the 5000, were very cheaply made, and are rather rare). The 5000 is being reproduced today in several versions, without the "5000" model name, adding to the confusion.

I believe it is the 5000, I bought it in 1989 and have never had any problems with it despite heavy use. I understand that the new 5000's are on the cheap side, but you're saying the original 5000 is below par also in comparison to 1000 and 3000 (neither of which I've ever tried)?

Mike

PS: My competition Pro 5000 doesn't have 5000 on it anywhere (and I no longer have the packaging) but I assume it is an original since I bought it new in 1989...or possibly 1990.

Edited by prostx23

I understand that the new 5000's are on the cheap side, but you're saying the original 5000 is below par also in comparison to 1000 and 3000 (neither of which I've ever tried)?

I had to read his post twice to get it, but I think he meant the 1000 and 3000 were cheaply made, and the 5000 the real thing.

Sooner or later I'll get myself a pair of Competition Pros as well. Everyone who had them back in the day says they're the best, so it must be true ;)

Currently I primarily use my SIGMA "Arcade style" type of joystick and also the 7800 joypads.

I like both, but they have some flaws to them. The actual stick on the Sigma is quite small, and the directional pads on the joypads sometimes get jammed.

Oh, and recently I stumbled upon someone mentioning the Technoplus Swift Joypad, which looks quite neat... (Unfortunately there seems to be no zoomed in picture... oh, yes there is, but it doesn't work normally...)

Edited by Herbarius

As kids (during the 2600's salad days when they were the only choice) my friends and I beat the hell out of them and they held up great. Nowadays when I pick one up I feel as though it's going to snap if I'm too rough with it. How can one's perceptions be altered so dramatically, especially when actual experience proves otherwise?

I don't know, I broke every one of them I had as a kid, and it's not uncommon for me to come across broken ones at thrift shops.

They are one reason I like 500xj, which is much tougher. As a kid I broke only one of those, and it took me quite a while. The hinge on top of the trigger button finally gave out.

Yeah, I seem to recall going through quite a few of the standard Atari joysticks. But then again, my brother and I played an awful lot of Decathlon, which probably explains it for the most part.

• 11 months later...

I've been looking at getting a better stick lately and have had my eye on the Tac-2 or Wico. I want to stay away from the 'pad' switches like the CX40 has and was wondering if the Wico or Tac-2 have actual 'clicky' microswitch style switches for the stick, anybody know?

Does anyone here want to give their opinion on the Archer/Quickshot joysticks? They look pretty cool. I've heard the reliability isn't great. They're flight stick style joysticks, with suction cups. Must be pretty good for Air Raiders on the 2600.

I've been looking at getting a better stick lately and have had my eye on the Tac-2 or Wico. I want to stay away from the 'pad' switches like the CX40 has and was wondering if the Wico or Tac-2 have actual 'clicky' microswitch style switches for the stick, anybody know?

Quickshot II plus has microswitches and rapid fire. regular quickshot has no rapid fire. they are also called archer. good solid base and suction cups. has good throw, not tight like the cx-40 which i am no fan of (especially trying to play 8 way direction games).very responsive. i prefer the quickshot II plus however over the quickshot I. also their is one just called quickshot which looks crappy. as far as reliability if you break one you probably have serious anger issues and need to work on that first.

http://www.atarimaga.../joysticks.html here is a review someone did in very detail on their thoughts on the different joysticks. my opinions are a little different because i hate tight joysticks.

Edited by pimpmaul69

Wico has leaf switches, Tac-2 has a weird ball contact that makes a sort of "tap tap tap" sound. If you want microswitches, get a Competition Pro. The reproductions aren't great, but you can get an original here: https://www.atari2600.com/item--Competition-Pro-5000--ATA26CON0187.html

Wico has leaf switches, Tac-2 has a weird ball contact that makes a sort of "tap tap tap" sound. If you want microswitches, get a Competition Pro. The reproductions aren't great, but you can get an original here: https://www.atari260...A26CON0187.html

I've got a Tac-2 and loved it, but the buttons were too small for me which is why I build my own controller for the 2600. If the buttons were slightly bigger, I would have stuck with the Tac-2 all the way.

Wico has leaf switches, Tac-2 has a weird ball contact that makes a sort of "tap tap tap" sound. If you want microswitches, get a Competition Pro. The reproductions aren't great, but you can get an original here: https://www.atari260...A26CON0187.html

I've got a Tac-2 and loved it, but the buttons were too small for me which is why I build my own controller for the 2600. If the buttons were slightly bigger, I would have stuck with the Tac-2 all the way.

How easy is it to build an arcade joystick? I'm not good with soldering and wiring and the like, but I want a kick ass joystick thats exactly the way I want it. I'd use Suzo-Happ parts, because Dutch things are great.

As long as you have good drill bits, I think you need 1" 1/8 for the buttons, then you are good to go, the real question is how good is your wood working skills?

For my Atari 2600, I just used a Plastic Project box from Radio Shack which turned out wonderful, though I have used wood in the past.

As for the wiring all you need are some wire strippers and some wire connectors and obviously some wire. Very easy B)