IGNORED

Killer Caterpillar ROM

Mad Hatter

• 3 weeks later...

This has been my Holy Grail of all TI games... I remember a friend of mine had a copy he ordered out of a catalog back in the 80s. I never had it, but always desired it. I would pretty much trade my mortal soul for one of these.. (not literally of course)

Maybe literally.....

:)

Edited by Opry99er

This has been my Holy Grail of all TI games... I remember a friend of mine had a copy he ordered out of a catalog back in the 80s. I never had it, but always desired it. I would pretty much trade my mortal soul for one of these.. (not literally of course)

Maybe literally.....

:)

I am confused. I seem to recall an ad for "Killer Caterpillar" from Norton Software, but I thought it was a cassette/disk game. Did someone dump it to a cart and release it, or is this a completely different game?

Wiki says its Exceltec...

From wiki:

"Tigervision developed a unique solution to the memory limitation of the standard cartridge slot. They had a 24K cartridge that attached to the side expansion interface, emulating an expansion device. This allowed them to implement a larger game completely in machine code. Tigervision cartridges using the expansion port included Espial and Miner 2049'er. A third cartridge, Sprinter, is listed in their 1984 catalog but was not released. Exceltec also released two similar side cartridges, Arcturus, and Killer Caterpillar."

I have heard before from a fairly reputable TI enthusiast/collector that there were only THREE of the Killer Caterpillar cartridges released by Exceltec. However I believe that number is incorrect because based on conversations I have had with people, I know of 5 (including mine) which are currently in the hands of TI'ers or collectors. It may be safe to assume that Bill Gaskill has one as well, but I have not confirmed that.

I'd love to see some screenshots... Wish I had known how rare this cart was 10 years ago when I saw my friend Eddie in Texas. I believe it was his uncle who worked with my dad at Tronics. He was a big TI collector and, if I'm not mistaken, had a 99/8 and a ton of tech manuals. He also had a bunch of really whacked out cart boards and manuals. Eddie got most of that stuff when his uncle moved on and got rid of his TI stuff. Last time I saw Eddie was 2001 and he had a ton of TI gear. I contacted him via Myspace in '08 to see if he wanted to get rid of all that TI stuff to me. Included in that lot was the Killer Caterpillar cart, a least 20-30 other third part carts, RAMDisk, several consoles.... We're talking a ton of stuff.

Unfortunately, between his uncle and Eddie, they sold most of that stuff in the local classifieds. Eddie told me that one buyer in Ft. Worth TX bought most of their stuff... I haven't talked to Eddie since 2008... But I'll always be pissed that I didn't get those carts when I had the chance. I had no idea in 2001 about the rarity of those carts... And I wasn't really thinking about it anyway. I bet he had several prototype carts, hardware prototypes.... Lost to me now. I DO remember that the Killer Caterpillar cart did not have an Exceltec label on it. It was a piece of masking tape with a hand written label.

Edited by Opry99er

This is the best I can do. I took a pic of my monitor with my 1.2 megapixel camera on my phone. The game is okay, but you may as well just play Centipede. Unfortunately I do not have the manual anymore, and from what I remember it didn't come with a box.

How about some screenshots and maybe photos of manual/instructions ? :)

post-25921-128849532858_thumb.jpg

I keep meaning to put a link to it on my site.. along with Arcturus. :)

Probably will put Miner 2049er and Espial up there as well.

BTW, one interesting bit of trivia about these carts that plugged into the side. They mapped themselves to the 32K memory expansion memory addresses (>2000 and >A000)

I actually ordered mine through a catalog back in the day (forgot which company). This would lead me to believe that there were a decent amount of them produced if they were available for sale in a catalog. Maybe the company shut down operations and there's still a big box of them laying around somewhere. Who knows.