IGNORED

Connecting a 5200 to a UK TV

svenski

I've completed my move and brought my 5200 out of storage but it has been a few years since I last used it and the built in TV lead connector's pin is too thick , as it would go into I presume a switch box which I can't find.

Can I pick up a simple adapter that will fix this?

Also, although my LCD TV supports NTSC I'm guessing it won't just using the RF input. I did have a Toshiba 32" CRT which did and was fantastic but that died a couple of years ago.

Can anyone suggest a TV that would accept NTSC through the RF input?

Failing that, anyone selling the solderless video mods?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions.

Edited by svenski

I've completed my move and brought my 5200 out of storage but it has been a few years since I last used it and the built in TV lead connector's pin is too thick , as it would go into I presume a switch box which I can't find.

Can I pick up a simple adapter that will fix this?

Also, although my LCD TV supports NTSC I'm guessing it won't just using the RF input. I did have a Toshiba 32" CRT which did and was fantastic but that died a couple of years ago.

Can anyone suggest a TV that would accept NTSC through the RF input?

Failing that, anyone selling the solderless video mods?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions.

I was able to pick up a Sony Commercial grade studio monitor that switched between PAL SECAM and NTSC. with everything going digital you might be able to find some of these at a used/recycled electronics store.

Why would your TV not work with it if it does NTSC?

As long as it can tune into analog signals on the VL band, then it should work.

A lot of TVs that support NTSC only seem to do so through SCART or Composite, not sure if the TV will do it via RF as the tuner is only PAL (every version of PAL under the sun but only PAL).

I've found an adaptor on ebay that will get around the problem of the RF connector so I can give it a try.

Not accepting NTSC through RF is generally not the issue, it's the fact that US computers and consoles used the VHF broadcast range (channels 2 and 3) and most TVs here only now tune in on the UHF range (from channel 13 onwards). My suggestion is either run it through a VCR and see if that helps, or get an RF NTSC to PAL converter.

I am still after a 5200 myself (I have a multicart and most homebrew released!) but I want one that's composite or S-video modded and doesn't cost the earth... seemingly those two are mutually exclusive currently.

Not accepting NTSC through RF is generally not the issue, it's the fact that US computers and consoles used the VHF broadcast range (channels 2 and 3) and most TVs here only now tune in on the UHF range (from channel 13 onwards). My suggestion is either run it through a VCR and see if that helps, or get an RF NTSC to PAL converter.

I am still after a 5200 myself (I have a multicart and most homebrew released!) but I want one that's composite or S-video modded and doesn't cost the earth... seemingly those two are mutually exclusive currently.

You just caused a flash of inspiration.... I remember now I connected the 5200 through my Samsung multi-system VCR... which is still in Spain in a box :roll: