IGNORED

Xmas comes early to Atari fan

MegaManFan

Well, I told my family the only Atari I didn't own was a 5200; lo and behold my sister snagged one for me on eBay and paid to have it shipped here so (hopefully) I would receive it at my parent's house while home for the holidays. My only question is this: the one she won on my behalf was a 4-port, and I've heard/seen some comments that certain games that work on a 2-port won't work on a 4-port or vice versa. How much of the 5200 library should I worry about being incompatible now that I'm going to start collecting for it?

Have no fear, all of the 5200 games work on a standard 4 port. It's the 2600 cart adapter that has problems on most 4 ports.

Ahh. Well I'll use my 2600 or 7800 to play those games anyway, so no worries. :D

The only thing to watch out for is to make sure that you have the special switchbox needed for the 4 ports.

Switchbox? For the controllers? Or for what? Something that didn't come packed standard with a 5200 4 port? (This one is alleged to be CIB.)

If it's complete in box then you should be OK.

The switchbox I mentioned is the RF switchbox that is unique to the 4 port 5200. The power supply plugs into the switchbox instead of the console. So, if you don't have it you're sunk.

Mitchhttp://atari7800.atari.org

Good grief! Well I'll double check tomorrow when everybody wakes up to make sure but she was "testing the waters" by showing me some auctions to see if they were what I was talking about, and the one she showed me (same as the one she told me she won) was a 4 port CIB. If she still knows the item # I can look it up to make sure; otherwise I'll just keep my fingers crossed that complete INCLUDES the RF switchbox. :P I'll say a little prayer to Bira Bira tonight!

I have a couple extras....... :D  

Brad

I appreciate that, but as fortune would have it I won't need one. The system arrived in the mail today and did INDEED come with the necessary RF switchbox. It's one of the stranger ways I've ever seen to hook up an Atari, but it certainly wasn't complicated - more "plug and play" than a lot of computer hardware I've ever bought. :P The lot included two vintage analog joysticks (I tried them and they work great) along with copies of Pac-Man and Centipede (also fully functional). The only downside now is that I have TWO copies of Pac-Man. Oh well. :D

Ironically, I wish I hadn't sold the copy of Castle Blast that I bought at the CGExpo now! At least I'll have Cafeman's "Koffi" to play soon enough. :)

Congrats on the 5200 MegaManFan! That's the system that really started it all for me. All my friends had 2600's and I refused to buy one because I had heard of a super system that was soon to be coming out.

I was not disappointed. There are some really great games for the 5200. I recommend H.E.R.O, Montezuma's Revenge, Miner 2049er, Bounty Bob Strikes Back, Rescue on Fractalus, Defender and of course Pac Man. That's just a few to start. You will have a lot of fun :D

Congrats on the 5200 MegaManFan! That's the system that really started it all for me. All my friends had 2600's and I refused to buy one because I had heard of a super system that was soon to be coming out.  

I was not disappointed. There are some really great games for the 5200. I recommend H.E.R.O, Montezuma's Revenge, Miner 2049er, Bounty Bob Strikes Back, Rescue on Fractalus, Defender and of course Pac Man. That's just a few to start. You will have a lot of fun :D

Thanks AA, I'm looking forward to the challenge and I'm already stoked by the quality of what I've seen thus far. And though I've heard many complaints about the 5200 sticks, I +heart+ the two I have. They make me go "ColecoVision? WTF is that?" I hope I can find lots of the games. :D