IGNORED

XEGS Rescue

kamakazi

Hi Everyone! First of all, I went to an online source to try and purchase an Atari 800 as I have been wanting to get back into the 8-bit programming. I've missed having an 800. However, they were sold out but made it a point to tell me that they had a complete XEGS with keyboard, joystick, and light gun. Said he would test it if I was interested. I later was told that it worked but the Start button wasn't working. I still purchased it and it arrived today. However, the Start, Option, and Select buttons were not working. I did attempt to disassemble the buttons and to my surprise found out they used a really small carbon contact pad. I cleaned one of them and put it in the Start button. It works now. But the other two pads are cracked and not worth fixing. I would like to know if anyone knows where I might could get either new or good used switches to make this computer fully functional again? I have contacted Best Electronics and Atari Sales by email and am awaiting a response. Are there any other sources?

post-18904-128650168558_thumb.png

post-18904-128650177551_thumb.png

post-18904-128650180369_thumb.png

post-18904-128650203932_thumb.png

Measure the spacing of the pins that are soldered in, then just get some similar momentary switches of the same type/size.

Chances are you won't find an exact match but there should be switches out there that are close enough.

If the new ones are too tall you could probably trim a bit off the pastel buttons, if they're too short you could just glue bits of plastic on top so the buttons still work with them.

That's odd. I've never had issues with the 7800 switches. I'm actually blaming age and how it could have been stored for the failure of the switches. When I removed the top I found dead wasps. It works rather well other than the switches. I don't have a game to test the gun with yet but I'm working on it.

Wow. Wasps? They must have stored it in a shed or basement.

I think the early 7800s were built quite well, while the later Jack T. 7800s were built like the 2600 Jr.s, cheaply.

I've been lucky to have had 2 early 7800s, but I've heard stories about very brittle plastic on the later ones.

There are three different 7800 models that I know of. The first issue will have an expansion port that was to be used by add-on. The second model still has the expansion port, but the port is covered by the 7800s casing. The last model removed any evidence of the port even being a part of the 7800. If you can find a 7800 with the expansion port, then you found a model produced before Jack bought Atari. The remaining two models were produced afterwards.