IGNORED

7800 Ramcart Interest

cschell

Hello all,

For those of you who don't know me, I'm the person who created the Atari 2600 Cuttle Cart and the Intellivision Intellicart. You can find out more about these (no longer available) products at http://www.schells.com

I know there are lots of plans for cheap, do it yourself Atari 7800 Ram carts. But I was wondering if there was any interest in a premade version similar to the Cuttle Cart or Intellicart?

I'm sure pricing would end up around $100.00 just as the other products, which might be a killer given the ready availability of do-it-yourself options for those handy with soldering irons.

Anyway, if you'd be interested in such a product, reply to this thread stating as much. Also, feel free to discuss features that would be important to you in such a product. Some examples:

Loading Interface: Audio (Bad idea for big games), Serial (Cheap and Easy), USB (Most difficult and expensive route for me.), Parallel Port, Other?

Pokey Socket - You supply the pokey, requires case to be unscrewed so it can be opened, or producted shipped without labels attached. Yes or no?

Support 2600 Bankswitching too?

Loading Screen and Interface, or Persistant Memory and no interface? (Meaning it works like the Cuttle Cart, or alternatively, you load a game into persistant memory and it stays that way.)

Complete, finsihed product - i.e. case, manual, label, etc. (I won't do boxes!) Or just give you a PCB if it saves money (Say, $90 instead.)

Whatever else occurs to you.

Again, this is just feeling things out. Don't get too excited about anything just yet.

Chad

Anyway, if you'd be interested in such a product, reply to this thread stating as much.  Also, feel free to discuss features that would be important to you in such a product.  Some examples:

Loading Interface:  Audio (Bad idea for big games), Serial (Cheap and Easy), USB (Most difficult and expensive route for me.), Parallel Port, Other?

I vote serial. I suspect that audio loading is really only effective for systems like 2600 and INTV.

Pokey Socket - You supply the pokey, requires case to be unscrewed so it can be opened, or producted shipped without labels attached.  Yes or no?

Umm.. how hard would it be to take a Pokey out of a Ballblazer in the first place? Could we just supply it to you and you build it in? I mean, whatever games don't need it can just ignore that it's in the socket right?

That would make it a Cuttle Cart Part Deux wouldn't it?

Loading Screen and Interface, or Persistant Memory and no interface?  (Meaning it works like the Cuttle Cart, or alternatively, you load a game into persistant memory and it stays that way.)

I'd personally prefer loading screen and interface.

Complete, finsihed product - i.e. case, manual, label, etc.  (I won't do boxes!)  Or just give you a PCB if it saves money (Say, $90 instead.)

It's worth the extra $10 to put the PCB in a nice shell to keep out dust and grime and other icky stuff. :)

Again, this is just feeling things out.  Don't get too excited about anything just yet.

Chad

I'll try not to, but Schell + 7800 RAMcart still = DROOOOOOL. :D

I was wondering if there was any interest in a premade version similar to the Cuttle Cart or Intellicart?

Yes!

I'm sure pricing would end up around $100.00 just as the other products

Yes!

Yes, Yes, and another Yes!

Loading Screen and Interface, or Persistant Memory and no interface?  (Meaning it works like the Cuttle Cart, or alternatively, you load a game into persistant memory and it stays that way.)

Either way, but I think that I'd like the loading screen option better.

Complete, finsihed product - i.e. case, manual, label, etc.  (I won't do boxes!)  Or just give you a PCB if it saves money (Say, $90 instead.)?

Complete project.

Again, this is just feeling things out.  Don't get too excited about anything just yet.

Heck, I'm excited to hear that you're even considering the idea!

I've been totally kicking myself that I wasn't able to pick up a CuttleCart when they were available (I was beyond broke at the time). This would be a dream come true if it supported both 2600 and 7800 games. Finances are a bit better now-a-days so you can certainly pencil me in for one, if you do indeed go forward with the project.

YES. GOD YES.

I'd say go for the serial port. I also say yes to the POKEY slot since putting one in each would be very much a pain for you I'm sure(though if putting one in yourself is possible I'd certainly be a little happier :P), and the 2600 bankswitching. The Loading Screen option seems nicer to me, although Persistant memory would be useful while traveling, I'd rather go with the other option. Finished Product is something I'm for, as well...PCB seems prone to breaking, especially in this house.

This would be of use to those lookin to make 7800 games in the future, methinks.

For those of you who don't know me,...  Again, this is just feeling things out.  Don't get too excited about anything just yet.

We Know You! We Know You!

Serial Serial! 2600 2600 POKEY Loading Screen and Interface, Complete, finished product.

I'm excited! I want it to work with my palmtop!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Yesola.

I would be interested if it would handle 7800+2600 carts (as many as posible anyway).

Without POKEY what games wouldnt work besides Ball Blazer? Im not good with a soldering iron therefore would be stuck without POKEY if it wasnt a pop out pop in type deal.

Seriel interface would be fine since USB appears to be too much hassle.

I would be interested although if it were available right now I would probably not have the budget to fork over $100. But hopefully in the near future it would not be a problem. I'm not handy with a soldering iron so having the assembled cart would be cool. Having the cart would be cool.

I'd go with serial interface and a UI -- I tend to work off laptops alot so I always have a PC with serial handy. Pokey socket would be find, or I would be happy to mail you a sacrificial BallBlazer. If it was an install yourself, I'd make a label that actually has holes to accomodate the case screws. Why not?

If 2600 bankswitching wouldn't cost me (as the consumer) anything extra in the end, sure, go for it, but I probably wouldn't buy it for 2600 games, so it's not a big deal to me.

No other smart suggestions. If you can think of anything you could add that would be of use to homebrew developers that would be cool. We need some new 7800 games.

Eric

I would be interested in this, but I would be even more interested if this would work for 2600 games as well as 7800 games. If it supports 2600 games as well you can just about guarantee a purchase from me. If it supported just 7800 games I would have to think about it as I own most of the 7800 collection already. I wish I had purchased a cuttlecart when you were selling them.

I, too, think serial with a console based UI and support for the 2600 and those large 7800 games would be great.

I don't know how others would feel, but I would like RS-422/485 style serial with a RJ-45 connector for use with ethernet cables. I know it wouldn't be ethernet (that would be even better but would increase hardware cost by more than $50) but it would allow the Atari console and computer to be a good distance away from each other. A 50 meter cable would work fine, and an adapter to convert between RS-422/485 and RS-232 next to the computer is a fairly simple gizmo. I suppose a connector for both types of serial could be on the cartridge. I'm willing to pay extra for that.

If it does have a console based UI, it would be great if it could be a native 7800 thing just for the higher resolution. I think that flag which controls if the Maria or Stella chip is used can be locked, and I don't know what technical limitations that might impose on the device.

Will the cartridge inclued updatable code?

Such a thing exists, it's one of the coolest items in my collection. I say do it, go with parallel and casing, do you think it will support all 7800 bankswitch schemes ?

Al, you're welcome to use the scan elsewhere on this site if you like !

8)

The real deal:

DevCard7800.jpg

Well,

I'm now informed that someone else is making a 7800 RAM cart for developement purposes. It supports all 7800 bankswitching schemes but no 2600 schemes.

As the market is small, I don't see competing products as a good idea, so I'll step out of this one.

As for all the requests on making more Cuttle Carts, again that would be a competing product to the upcoming flash cart. As the flash cart was started because I did not wish to make more Cuttle Carts, I think it would be rather unkind to reverse myself now that development on something else is underway.

Oh well, perhaps some other project will occur to me.

Chad

P.S. CPUWIZ, I've seen and played with one of those boards. It can be done better with today's technology. :)

P.S.  CPUWIZ, I've seen and played with one of those boards.   It can be done better with today's technology.   :)

Hell yeah, you would only need 1 RAM chip and a PGA (Xilinx or similar) you could definately fit that into a cart these days.

Who is making such a RAM cart if not you ?

As the market is small, I don't see competing products as a good idea, so I'll step out of this one.

How about a cart for the 5200? I'm much more interested in a 5200 Cuttle Cart than one for the 7800. There are more games for the 5200, tons more protos, and a more active homebrew community. It would also make a great development tool as it seems each emulator has its own quirks when running 5200 games (as I found out when taking screenshots for the Koffi manual using several different emulators).

As for Serial vs. USB, I would much prefer USB as then people with Macs would be able to use it. If you do a USB cart, I will write you OS X client software for free. I am willing to pay a little more for the increased flexibility, as serial ports are a pain to deal with (and of course, Macs don't even have them). I have all the serial ports on my PCs disabled. And my (relatively modern) laptop doesn't have a serial port! It does have a parallel port, and of course, USB ports. :)

..Al

How about a cart for the 5200? I'm much more interested in a 5200 Cuttle Cart than one for the 7800. There are more games for the 5200, tons more protos, and a more active homebrew community. It would also make a great development tool as it seems each emulator has its own quirks when running 5200 games (as I found out when taking screenshots for the Koffi manual using several different emulators).

As for Serial vs. USB, I would much prefer USB as then people with Macs would be able to use it. If you do a USB cart, I will write you OS X client software for free. I am willing to pay a little more for the increased flexibility, as serial ports are a pain to deal with (and of course, Macs don't even have them). I have all the serial ports on my PCs disabled. And my (relatively modern) laptop doesn't have a serial port! It does have a parallel port, and of course, USB ports. :)

..Al

I made such a cart for the 5200, it's not very difficult. It works of the parallel port and supports everything but BBSB.

I made it because I will enter the homebrew scene once I get off my ass and start programming that big baby.

I'll post a picture later.

:)

I was going to suggest a 5200 RAM cart too, and I'm glad to see others are also interested and beat me to it. I'd definitely be interested in that since I've been thinking about doing some Pokey programming. Plus the 5200 has a ton of great games and a bunch of good new homebrews.

The argument for Mac USB is a good one, but personally I'd prefer serial (and DOS software) since you can then use a cheap old laptop.

BTW: Best does sell Pokeys for $5.

-paul

Since I was contacted privately, I don't know that the 7800 developer wishes to announce things publicly. I'll leave it up to them though.

As for the 5200, there are a few problems.

1) There is a readily available multicart - this shrinks the market.

2) It's a system that is well served by simple eprom carts, or eeprom, flash, etc. There's no bankswithing or anything. This again lowers the interest in higher cost solutions. (I'll have 100 people popping up to tell me how easy it is to build one and that there's no need to buy one.)

3) There's no ready source of cart cases.

Here are my thoughts on USB vs. Serial: Serial is cheap and easy, and everyone with a USB port can use serial through a USB to serial adapter. USB is much more complicated, and requires a clock and either a microcontroller or large PLD to be on the board. Additionally USB cannot be used by older computers (like my ancient laptop) and has limited cable length, which also annoys me as I use a long cable from my desktop to the Atari when I use these products. (I don't consider stringing several hubs acceptible.)

USB also requires more complicated software on the PC, necessitating drivers and such. There's my lack of a vendor id as well, but for a small market item that's not that big of a deal.

Basically USB adds a lot of pain for little reward in my opinion. Fortunately the masses don't seem to be wanting USB. :)

Chad

P.S. So who really want's a 5200 Cuttle Cart?

P.S.  So who really want's a 5200 Cuttle Cart?

I'd be interested in a 5200 CC but I would prefer the game stay resident in memory. If not then it would be like having a SIO2PC cable. Sure this goes to an Atari 8-bit but that's basically what a 5200 is. If I wanted to test out my code on the console, I could simulate it on the 8-bit. True, it wouldn't be the real hardware and you would loose the analog joystick read, but as for colors and feel it would be the same, right?