IGNORED

Atari 2600 Cartridge Binder/Folder

nightwheel

Not that rare but not that common either. I grab them when I can simply because it's a good way of organizing the carts that I want to keep. Unfortunately, these days the people selling them seem to think they are worth a $30-$50 price premium over the price of the common carts that are usually included with them, which they're not.

Edited by OldAtarian
  • Like 1

The biggest problem I've seen with them is that the vinyl eventually tears at the folds and once it starts, it's hard to stop it from progressing without resorting to unsightly things like duct tape. I would never consider one of these at any price if the folds are starting to tear.

Edited by OldAtarian

The thing I don't like about them (and all other cart racks and storage solutions) is that they encourage people to throw away the boxes and sometimes instructions, too. Makes it hard to find CIB games years later. We ended up with one of those big plastic 2600 holders where there's a big rectangular hole on the top to reach and and store bare carts and the Atari sits on top of it. And of course all the boxes for those games are long gone.

The thing I don't like about them (and all other cart racks and storage solutions) is that they encourage people to throw away the boxes and sometimes instructions, too. Makes it hard to find CIB games years later. We ended up with one of those big plastic 2600 holders where there's a big rectangular hole on the top to reach and and store bare carts and the Atari sits on top of it. And of course all the boxes for those games are long gone.

Except for the rarest games, finding CIB's for almost any game on the 2600 isn't much of a problem due to the sheer numbers dumped on the market back in the 80's.

I have six of them.

I use five for storing my 7800 games.

The sixth I use for my 2600 and 7800 homebrew/hack games I've bought from the AA store.... of which I now have one more than I can store in there.

They have a two-layer pocket on the back side for storing instruction manuals.

They're not great when you have lots of carts to store (like say 240 2600 carts) but they are good for smaller numbers, and they're in the "nice old stuff to have" category.

Edited by Brian R.

I have six of them.

The sixth I use for my 2600 and 7800 homebrew/hack games I've bought from the AA store.... of which I now have one more than I can store in there.

They're not great when you have lots of carts to store (like say 240 2600 carts) but they are good for smaller numbers, and they're in the "nice old stuff to have" category.

And what do you do when you're looking for a particular cart and they're all stored in these things? You have to go through every binder to find the game you want to play and then go through them all over again when you're looking for another game. This seems like an idea that sounded good at the time but wasn't thoroughly thought out to account for every eventuality.

Edited by OldAtarian

I own 3 of these, 2 were used (but one had the full sticker set) and 1 is new. The binders included a list of all the Atari brand games made at the time of printing and along the spine near the top there is a row of 8 lines, so what you would do is peel off the stickers that corresponded with the carts you had stored inside. On the back was a flap to insert your manuals. Although the vast majority of my collection is boxed, there are a few loose games that I have in one. As a piece of Atari memorabilia it is a nice thing to have in your collection. The faux leather really matches the ol' woodgrain.

I have six of them.

And what do you do when you're looking for a particular cart and they're all stored in these things? You have to go through every binder to find the game you want to play and then go through them all over again when you're looking for another game. This seems like an idea that sounded good at the time but wasn't thoroughly thought out to account for every eventuality.

For four of them I just printed out a little label that I taped to the spine of the binder. Works well enough for me.

I think they originally came with some kind of labels/stickers so you'd know what games were in which binder. ... ... or what Zwackery said above.

The 7800 games I play most often are in the one that doesn't have a label. Also didn't bother labeling the one with the AA carts.

Edited by Brian R.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I posted a different thread about this but no one had it... hoping someone will notice in this thread that has them... looking for a picture of the labels that came with these! :)

I have a couple sheets of the labels. They were clear with black text on a white sheet or paper

Edited by Chris Leach