IGNORED

Best/ worst arcade port to the VCS

Mister VCS

***** perfect (for a VCS-game, of course)

**** good

*** very different from the arcade, but fun to play

** it hurt your eyes, but playable with a few glasses of beer

* dust protection for the 2600 game-slot

LETS GO

Crystal Castles

Ms Pac-Man

Stargate

Dig Dug

Mr. Do!

Missile Command

Space Invaders

Circus Atari

Night Driver

Mario Bros.

Jr. Pac-Man

Moon Patrol

Joust

Solar Fox

Jungle Hunt

Defender

Asteroids

Q*bert

Phoenix

Galaxian

Centipede

Millipede

Wizard of Wor

KungFu Master

Venture

Pole Position

Double Dragon

Zaxxon

Popeye

Tutankham

Rampage

Donkey Kong Jr.

Pac-Man

Frogger

Berzerk

Gorf

Kangaroo

Road Runner

Star Wars: The Arcade Game

Vanguard

Donkey Kong

Congo Bongo

Battlezone

Super Cobra

Mouse Trap

Pooyan

Reactor

Note: I rated only the games I own!

Mister VCS

Reactor gets one star!!???

DK Jr. gets 3!???

Are the German and US DK Jr. different???

DK sucks DK

Zaxxon gets 3!???

Don't get me wrong...Zaxxon in itself is a decent game... But good translation it aint.

I like Mouse Trap and PooYan too.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I completely disagree with the negative assessments of Reactor and Battlezone. First of all, I have to nominate Reactor for best port. The reason for this is that PB took an arcade game with frustrating and lackluster game play and turned it into a great 2600 action game. As far as I'm concerned, 2600 Reactor is better than its arcade progenitor.

I'm surprised someone trashed Battlezone; usually, this game receives praise. It's not like the gameplay deviates much from the arcade. You shoot tanks and dodge shells. Granted, Robot Tank is probably more fun due to its faster gameplay and changing weather, but I still think Atari did a good job with Battlezone.

On the other hand, I do agree with many of Mister VCS's other picks, especially the 5-star ones. I had a lot of fun with Crystal Castles and Mario Bros. back in the day! ;)

HEAVY***6***er

heavy sixer: Battlezone is totally boring for me. Your only job is shooting on

other tanks. No screen-changings, no bonus-items, no weather changing...

only shooting, shooting shooting..........

I rated the PAL-version, which has much less colors than the NTSC-version.

Look at www.atariprotos.com for details.

Mister VCS

I completely disagree with the negative assessments of Reactor and Battlezone. First of all, I have to nominate Reactor for best port. The reason for this is that PB took an arcade game with frustrating and lackluster game play and turned it into a great 2600 action game. As far as I'm concerned, 2600 Reactor is better than its arcade progenitor.  

HEAVY***6***er

I definitely need some help. I got reactor at a thrift store a couple weeks ago, and I have no idea how to play it. I fired it up just to make sure it works, but had no idea what to do. I messed with it for about 20 minutes, and still could not figure out how to play it. Can you help me? :?

How could you give Reactor a * and Space Invaders a *****? If anything Reactor is so much more closer to the arcade than 2600 Space Invaders was. By your definition, SI should get a *** as it's very different from the arcade (i.e NOT a good translation), but still fun to play. Reactor on the other hand, aside from the tracball control and the "energy" bursts, is an excellent translation (as well as fun to play) :)

I know you rated only the games you own, but we should make a comprehensive list of ALL the arcade translations (River Patrol anyone?) and have a be all end all LIST. :)

As the nominated authority on the subject *ahem* :D ;) I volunteer myself to come up with the list. However, I'll have to do it tonight as I'm heading out :D

Mr. Do!

Note: I rated only the games I own!

Mister VCS

:!: :!: :!:

Dude, unless you own a DIFFERENT 2600 Mr. Do! than I do, that is +SO+ not a five-star game. That doesn't even rate a THREE. Out of every single version of Mr. Do! I own and have played, from ColecoVision to Super Nintendo to Gameboy, that one is the BIGGEST abomination of all. To sum up a few of it's MANY failings:

* The wrong number of apples are in each bunch

* There are no "tunnel walls" where you dig (bad guys walk right in)

* I won't even get INTO the fux0ring of the "EXTRA"

There needs to be a score lower than 1 for how awful this version is.

HEAVY***6***er

I definitely need some help. I got reactor at a thrift store a couple weeks ago, and I have no idea how to play it. I fired it up just to make sure it works, but had no idea what to do. I messed with it for about 20 minutes, and still could not figure out how to play it. Can you help me? :?

Bash enemies into the walls; when you knock the predetermined number of enemies into the walls, the reactor cools down and you go to the next screen. If you hit the control rods (two sets of blips) on either side of the reactor that will also cool it down. I think pressing the button creates a decoy and if you put it next to a wall the enemies will plunge into the wall. There's a chamber or two off to the sides that, if any of the electrons bounce around in there (also a good spot for a decoy), they will add up a bonus score.

Hope that helps, I'm doing this mostly from the memory of the arcade game, I only played the 2600 version once and can't recall exactly how it looked.

sku_u:

just read the definition of the stars - three means VERY different, but fun to play!

The Pac-Man graphic and the maze-design is very different from the coin-up,

but back in the days most people loved VCS-Pac-Man, because it was basically Pac-Man.

Look at Pole Position: without the title-screen and the lable - no one would think that this game is the home-version of the arcade-game! Pac-Man is

much closer to the coin-up than PP, but nobody would give this game only

one star!

Mr. Do! is a fun-game, faster than the CV-version. the basic-elements of

the arcade are there. It is not too difficult spelling E-X-T-R-A!

I will protect this game till the end

:wink:

Mister VCS

Great thread. You did a lot of the work with your first post ....

2600 Mr. Do! is garbage, down there with 2600 versions of Donkey Kong, DK Jr., and Venture. Even had the excellent Colecovision versions of these games never existed, they would still suck in their own right. I say * for each, and they're lucky to get that. :wink:

Gravitar is a wonderful translation and deserves *****. Reactor as well, so long as you know how to play it. Both of these are bigtime "cult" favorites, but the 2600 is too, you know?

I would also move Berzerk, Frogger, Wizard of WOR, Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator, and Jungle Hunt up into ***** territory. These carry all the main elements of the original game quite well.

Battlezone doesn't look anything like the arcade game, but that's OK in this case. I say give it **** for the new spin. Ditto GORF and Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom.

I think Mr. Do is very good considering the Atari's limitations.  The biggest problem is the tunnels, but it would be tough to fix that without extra RAM.  I still think it's fun to play.

-Paul

I normally don't disagree with you Paul, but on this one I have to vehemently object. The only and I do mean ONLY way you could call Mr. Do fun on the 2600 would be IF you never played the arcade game and IF you never played it on any other home console. Once you've got the true play mechanics down and you enjoy how much fun this game can truly be, playing the 2600 version will rip your heart out through your throat, STOMP ON IT and shove it all the way back in. I paid $40 for a complete in the box copy and I can still safely say that the one and ONLY time I have or ever WILL take it out of the box was to test it. That's it, that's all, finito, FINISHED. Bleachhhhh.