IGNORED

Japanese Vectrex System!

Charlie Cat

Hi guys,

I always was interested in the Vectrex console. But I heard a few talks a long time ago about there is a Japanese version of the Vectrex that was released in Japan. I don't know much information about it, but is it a rare and collectible console? If so, how much to they go for complete and loose. In fact, how did the Vectrex do in Japan?

Anthony....

It was made by Bandai and is the rarest Vectrex. Also, the games were the same but renamed for the Japanese market.

Sounds just like the odyssey2, also released in japan, with rebranded games, that had just a sticker with the japanese name on it.

For the vec, look at these youtube movie

or at this page

http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/classics/vectrex.htm

And this site for various japanese released consoles

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/04/akihabara-2/

It was made by Bandai and is the rarest Vectrex.

Except for the coin-op Color Personality Test thingy. I have yet to hear of a second one of those.

My favorite thing about the Japanese Vectrex is that it was named the "Kousokusen." Sounds like one of those incredible attacks in Dragon Ball Z that takes thirteen episodes to charge!

It literally means "light-speed ship".

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

My favorite thing about the Japanese Vectrex is that it was named the "Kousokusen." Sounds like one of those incredible attacks in Dragon Ball Z that takes thirteen episodes to charge!

I guess I have the name for my next homebrew, then :P .

That's pretty cool too, even if "lightspeed ship" is the last thing I think of when I see a Vectrex. What's the Japanese term for "black Macintosh Classic?"

• 6 years later...

I saw 2 Vectrex units for sale so far. one is boxed for well over $1300 at Super Potato. Another one was loose in Mandrake for over a grand. What's funny about the Wired article's pictures, is that I think it's the same 2 games I saw there.

For other obscure stuff, I saw Astrocade games, CIB for stupid high prices. We're talking $100 for a dang loose GameBoy. Also saw a handful of Cassette Vision games, but good luck getting a dang console for it. Everything retro here is sky high for prices.