IGNORED

Video modding service...

the-topdog

I'd like to see some modding service / kit or otherwise to HDMI as composite and s-video will become less common.

How about your buddy work on the HDMI mod for the Atari consoles maybe, ie: 2600, 5200 and 7800 for starters?

It would probably be better to just stick with S-Video from the console, and to use an external Composite/S-Video-to-HDMI converter. Building a mod kit for an Atari that can output directly to HDMI would probably amount to building the equivalent of an external converter inside the console, which would be very expensive and unusable for anything else; with an external unit, you can at least use it with other consoles.

Really? I had no idea how complicated it would be. So which would give you the shapest picture quality? s-video or composite if you were looking at only 1 mod.

S-video would give the better picture of the two.

Honestly, every time I tried s-video I really do not see a difference from composite. Even though it has 4 connectors, it is just composite split between color and brightness right? The result is the same picture.

Honestly, every time I tried s-video I really do not see a difference from composite. Even though it has 4 connectors, it is just composite split between color and brightness right? The result is the same picture.

The result is not the same picture. S-Video is superior.

-edit- In terms of a 2600 mod it may be very difficult to tell the difference, but S-Video overall is a better picture.

Edited by horseboy

The result is not the same picture. S-Video is superior.

-edit- In terms of a 2600 mod it may be very difficult to tell the difference, but S-Video overall is a better picture.

S-Video is definitely an improvement over composite. The 2600 is a fairly low-resolution console, so the difference between the two might not be so visible (especially on an LCD TV, which is stretching the video so much anyway), but it's definitely apparent on machines that provided higher resolution graphics, like the Atari 400/800 computers and the 7800.

S-Video is really the best that the 2600 hardware can do completely on its own. To get anything more modern than that would require extra hardware, and I still maintain that an external converter would be the ideal solution for those situations. I don't know why so many newer televisions don't provide S-Video inputs, but if nothing else, it's still useful to have S-Video outputs from the console to use with the converters.

What I meant by the same picture is that the generated image is the same for s-video and composite. Component video can do higher resolution and progressive...

And I have used s-video and composite for many items, DVD, video capture, and other devices and I honestly cannot see a difference in the image.

Using widescreen Samsung LCD to play 2600 games? You could then be using an emulator playing on your notebook and the picture "degradation" would be the same...

Since 2600 is designed to be played in that beaming phosphor triads world of magic:

http://www.thereeltodd.com/2008/10/yars-revenge-on-a-real-atari-2.html

Edited by maiki