IGNORED

2600 and it's black screen :(

stinky817

ok, my girlfriend just gave me a 2600 DV... it didnt have an AC adapter, or an rf box, so i have an AC adapter that you can change the voltages, and it's set at 9vDC and it's 300mA out, i hooked it up, and then i realized that i didnt have an rf box, so i went online, and found the how-to on how to do the A/V mod, so i think i did it right...

i soldered the center lead's of the RCA's to where it tells me to, the video one to between the top of the 4th and 5th resistors on the bottom row under the cover and the center of the audio one to the bottom of the 3rd and 4th resistors on the 2nd row under the metal cover...

so i hook it up to the TV, plug the bad boy in, and throw a cart in it, and throw the power switch, and the screen just brieflygives me a little flicker, and then there's a black screen, so the flicker is from me turning it on... the TV getting the signal... so it's got power, i replaced the 7805 anyway, just to be safe, and it's still not working, i saw a bunch of other people that had this same kind of problem, and nobody helped em out

oh yeah, btw, i tryed every single cart i have, none of them worked, cleaned them, still didnt work....

anyone have any ideas on what to troubleshoot so i can play with my atari? :)

would the 300mA/500mA change make the diffrence that i dont get any sound or video or anything? and lemme find the link for what i did, i bookmarked it :)

http://www.emucamp.com/vgee/2600/2600faq.htm#composite

ok, and i didnt do the JR. one, cuz i dont have a jr... i did the one under it, and i got a little confused by it, cuz looking at the schematic it tells me to diffrent then the instructions... i know the basics on how to read schematics, and how to solder, and do all that kind of stuff, but i'm not that advanced to figgure it out myself :)

well, any help would be appreciated :)

i'm gunna go get the digital camera and take a pic of it for ya

I have heard of many people that had nothing but trouble with that kind of modification, I made a couple of mod-kits a while ago that use the VCSP method.

Here is what it looks like installed into a Jr. but the install is pretty much the same on a 4switch or a 6switch the solder spots are just in different locations.

Go to this place to check it out:

http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/ Click on Info and then How To's !

JrVideoMod.jpg

videoout.jpg

oh yeah, just a quick question that i remembered, do i need to have the metal sheild that goes over the 3 big IC's? i think it'd be eaiser if i leave them off... and i have another point that i thought of in the shower...

even if i had the wires hooked up incorrectly, the audio is still the same one way or another, so shouldn't i be hearing sound then? i dont know, i haven't owned an atari in prolly about 15 years, so i dont remember how the games start out and what not...

tennis, real sports football, pac-man, breakout, pitfall, mouse trap, oink!, boxing, combat, deadly duck, video pinball, tutenkham, river raid, and those are all the loose ones, all the others i have in books and haven't tried them.... i'll see what i get... i'll try them again :)

HELL YEAH!!! it took me about 40 minutes, to solder all the wires, run new cables, put the breadboard in the atari, and all that fun jazz, but it works, i ended up using a 5k and a 10k pot, cuz that's all i had, the smallest i had, and i wasn't too sure that it was gunna work at all, but i got lucky, all the colors are correct, never touched the pots once :) thank you so much cpuwiz for the site that helped me, and i guess that's about it, time for me to go play :) yay

CPUWIZ - if I sent you my Jr., would you be willing to do the composite mod and if so, how much would you charge for it?

I really don't know if I want to get myself into a situation where a bunch of people send me their machines and have to wait to get them back, likely to get pissed off at me because I work and have other things to attend to. I really don't know what you would charge for such a service, I guess it is worth something to some people and less to others.

I might start doing a swap deal, where people can swap their machine for an equal + A/V mod for a little cash like MrRetroGamer does with the 5200 sticks.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

HELL YEAH!!! it took me about 40 minutes, to solder all the wires, run new cables, put the breadboard in the atari, and all that fun jazz, but it works, i ended up using a 5k and a 10k pot, cuz that's all i had, the smallest i had, and i wasn't too sure that it was gunna work at all, but i got lucky, all the colors are correct, never touched the pots once :) thank you so much cpuwiz for the site that helped me, and i guess that's about it, time for me to go play :) yay

Most excellent, I am surprised it worked with that much resistance but hell, who cares, as long as it works. Enjoy !

CPUWIZ - if I sent you my Jr., would you be willing to do the composite mod and if so, how much would you charge for it?

I really don't know if I want to get myself into a situation where a bunch of people send me their machines and have to wait to get them back, likely to get pissed off at me because I work and have other things to attend to. I really don't know what you would charge for such a service, I guess it is worth something to some people and less to others.

I might start doing a swap deal, where people can swap their machine for an equal + A/V mod for a little cash like MrRetroGamer does with the 5200 sticks.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

I wouldn't get pissed, since I have 2 machines it's not like I wouldn't be able to play my games.

The swap deal sounds like a good idea also. I'm sure there would be plenty of people who would want that. Is it difficult to do the mod? My father is an electrician, so I could just have him do it, or I could attempt it myself if you do not think it's very difficult. The only machines I have are jr.'s, if that makes a difference. Thank you! :)

the mod i did on my DV wasn't all that hard, it just took a little bit of time, and i had to go hunting for parts for the mod :) and i was talking on the phone all at the same time, so that prolly didnt help any either, it's a relatively easy thing to do, all you need is the parts, and some basic skills with a soldering iron :)

I wouldn't get pissed, since I have 2 machines it's not like I wouldn't be able to play my games.  

The swap deal sounds like a good idea also.  I'm sure there would be plenty of people who would want that.  Is it difficult to do the mod?  My father is an electrician, so I could just have him do it, or I could attempt it myself if you do not think it's very difficult.  The only machines I have are jr.'s, if that makes a difference.  Thank you! :)

If your dad is an electrician, it's going to be dead easy for him to do, have him look at the instructions on the VCSP site and he'll be able to tell right away. The Atari 2600 Jr. is the easiest to modify in my opinion.