IGNORED

Commodore 1702 ghosting?

Charlie_

I have 2 Commodore 1702 monitors. One has been in my family since it was new in the 80s and was given to me by my cousin. Recently I purchased one from ebay still in the box. It looks to be about brand new. The inside has no dust at all.

I'm using the front composite input on both of them. I notice that on both of these monitors it looks like there is a white line or slight "ghost" to the right of everything. Both do exactly the same thing. The only difference between the "older" one and the boxed one is that the older one takes a little longer to "warm up" and is slightly less sharp than the boxed one.

I never paid this "ghosting" much mind but a few weeks ago I picked up a Hitachi 13" TV/Monitor from the Salvation Army store for $2.99. Three buck! :) I cleaned it up and it works like it is new! The picture on this Hitachi does not have this ghosting thus making it look much better than either of my Commodore monitors.

I will post a picture tonight showing exactly what I'm talking about.

Being that both my 1702s did the same thing I've been thinking that's just how they are. Now I wonder if there is something I can do to adjust this ghosting out of the picture. I have had them both open and adjusted the focus and it didn't seem to do much as far as the ghosting.

Is this a trait of the 1702 or is there something I can do?

Are you using a composite input on the Hitachi? If not, the problem could be your source (unless you've tried multiple sources).

Yes I'm using the composite on the Hitachi. I was looking at it very close last night. When I compared the Hitachi vs the 1702 I saw that they both had a slight shadow offset to the right. Difference is the Hitachi has a darkish gray shadow where the 1702 has a white shadow. So it is much more noticeable on the 1702. Again both 1702 monitors the same. The Hitachi shadow being gray you really don't notice / see it unless you go looking for it.... The white on the 1702 jumps out.

Ever play Hunt the Wumpus on the TI994/A? During the intro when the guy falls in the slime pit. There are green walls on the left and right of the pit... you can see a white stripes clearly along the edges of the green. (to the right).

I started playing with my XEGS last night and didn't take the time to snap a picture. I will tonight.

Maybe I'm just over analyzing the screens. I do that. I've replaced some of my arcade monitors because you could see some burn in when they weren't running.....

If you're seeing the same artifact on 3 different monitors, it's definitely coming from the source, or possibly the cable. There are many reasons why it could be less noticeable on the Hitachi, including brightness, contrast, and gamma differences (regardless of whether or not there are any user or technician adjustments for these properties) or amount of wear on the CRT.

If you're seeing the same artifact on 3 different monitors, it's definitely coming from the source, or possibly the cable. There are many reasons why it could be less noticeable on the Hitachi, including brightness, contrast, and gamma differences (regardless of whether or not there are any user or technician adjustments for these properties) or amount of wear on the CRT.

Its any source, any cable. Here is the Wumpus intro. Not the best picture, but you can see the white lines along the blue very clearly.

post-322-128708986223_thumb.jpg