IGNORED

Most overrated games in your opinion

Animan

The Super Mario Series.

Super Mario Bros, for NES, eh , it was good.

Super Mario Bros 2 (JP) HOLY MOTHER OF LORD GREATEST GAME EVER,(Exaggeration) PERFECT! I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IT!

Super Mario Bros 2 (US) ... Wow...

Super Marios Bros 3 Eh, fine, not anything new though, minus the new 'suits'

Go ahead, call me a Sega Fanboy, I do enjoy the NES more than any other of my classic systems though.

Believe me, I don't want to like these games or give them any props, simply because I've become so sick of Mario as a character in the years since his NES heyday. But, playing those games now, if I'm completely honest with myself, I must admit they're pretty damn good. In particular in the case of SMB3, the sheer scope of what they crammed into that cartridge is really quite impressive for its time. And not only were the games good, but their lasting influence/impact on the gaming industry at large is indisputable.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that the SMB games are not overrated, IMO. If you happen to not like the games because they're not your type of thing, that's fine. I can't stand Jay-Z because I can't stand listening to hip hop, doesn't mean he's overrated, it simply means he's not my cup of tea and I personally don't listen to him.

I'm not calling you a fanboy, but I will say that I don't understand how you can simultaneously dislike the classic SMB games and like Sonic. Ok, so Mario wears goofy suits whereas Sonic runs quickly. Other than that, if you distill the gameplay down to its core elements, these games are essentially the same.

• Like 1

Ohhh I forgot to say Metroid for NES. A lot of people call it one of their top favorites, but I call it annoying. The game is kind of fun, but what ruins it for me is how when you die or start from your saved password, in order to fill up your health, you have to grind for a long time. Grinding is meant for RPGs... not platform shooters. Couldn't they have easily created health restore areas like the fairy ponds in Zelda? Or why not just start you off with at least some of your new health containers full?

At the beginning of the game its not bad at all but you really start to notice it later in the game when you have like 4 or 5 health containers to fill little by little.

Ohhh I forgot to say Metroid for NES. A lot of people call it one of their top favorites, but I call it annoying. The game is kind of fun, but what ruins it for me is how when you die or start from your saved password, in order to fill up your health, you have to grind for a long time. Grinding is meant for RPGs... not platform shooters. Couldn't they have easily created health restore areas like the fairy ponds in Zelda? Or why not just start you off with at least some of your new health containers full?

At the beginning of the game its not bad at all but you really start to notice it later in the game when you have like 4 or 5 health containers to fill little by little.

If it wasn't for the infamous "bikini code" NOBODY would remember Metroid as anything but a bloated, pixilated mess. The only "exploration" games that have ever worked for me have been Zelda and Link to the Past. This one is what happens when you take Kid Icarus, (a hard but still fun game in spite of it's repetitive music,) and make it so tedious that is is unplayable.

I have to agree with the people who called "Guitar Hero" (in all of its incarnations, and the clone games as well) out, much earlier in the thread. If those games are not at the top of the overrated list, I don't know what is. Millennia from now, paleontologists will be unearthing faux plastic guitars and drum sets from ancient garbage dumps, questioning whether or not there was intelligent life in the current era. Until then, we merely trip over those items (broken, with missing pieces) in thrift stores and pawn shops while looking for worthwhile merchandise.

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 1

I'm probably going to be hated for this, but Yar's Revenge never seemed very fun to me.

I enjoy Yars' Revenge at least in small doses. But I'd agree it is way overrated. To hear some people tell it on the 2600 there is Yar's Revenge and then there is everything else. It is a decent game. But I wouldn't rate it higher than decent.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - The dullest, most plodding RPG experience I've ever been subjected to. I desperately wanted to like this game, but after spending hours and hours trying to find something fun about it, I had to admit bitter defeat. There are aspects of this game I can respect, but that's the nicest thing I can say.

Rygar: The Legendary Adventure - Plenty of potential, but in reality, it's a tedious, confusing, unbalanced mess of a game. Some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard, as well.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Abysmal "tank-style" control, uninteresting plot, mediocre voice acting, and shockingly linear design.

A few more...

Mortal Kombat

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect

Wave Race: Blue Storm

MDK

Halo: Reach

i think those online RPG games are very overrated. like Warcraft or whatever they're called. never was into that but they seem to be some of the most talked about games these days.

makes me wonder what the most underrated game is? :ponder:

Any game that ever got a "perfect" score in a popular game magazine, any game that ever sold over 4 million units. There has never been, and never will be a perfect game. If we could distribute the sales above 4 million for insanely popular games to less popular, but equally well made, games we would have a lot better discussions about games today. Just think about it, how much software that was a market failure would have benefited from people opening their eyes and looking around a bit more.

Take 1 million and sales and divide it by five other games, and you have five more successful games that get sequels or spiritual successors.

Any game that ever got a "perfect" score in a popular game magazine, any game that ever sold over 4 million units. There has never been, and never will be a perfect game. If we could distribute the sales above 4 million for insanely popular games to less popular, but equally well made, games we would have a lot better discussions about games today. Just think about it, how much software that was a market failure would have benefited from people opening their eyes and looking around a bit more.

Take 1 million and sales and divide it by five other games, and you have five more successful games that get sequels or spiritual successors.

I'll take this to another level and say anything that gets a high rating from GameSpy will ALWAYS suck. (They have their noses so far up Sony's ass they can smell their breath.) Which means ANY PS3 or John Carmack creation currently.

• 8 months later...

I know I'll get shot down for these, but I don't care, it's my opinion...

Any of the megaman games, and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Just too damn hard in my opinion.

I'd say pretty much all of the Ghouls 'n Ghosts (I know they didn't all have that exact same title) games for the reason you mentioned.

As for Megaman, I've only played one of those games on a NES emulator, and it just felt really generic.

• Like 1

I'd say whatever new First Person Shooter is hot on the market, as over-rated. This is not to call them "bad." They're just over-rated, not much more fun than the previous iteration (which is good/fun too). New gimmicks on an old formula. Over-rated.

I completely agree with this.

Also, Sonic the Hedgehog is overrated.

And for the people with a hate-on for Super Mario Kart--you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Edited by BillyHW