IGNORED

need help fixing broke pin on SIO connector

ACML

I have a broken pin 2 (CLK OUT) on an SIO port. If I cut the lead from the back side (mobo) can you pull the remaining piece through the black plastic case or do I have to dremel it out with a small drill bit? I plan to use a paperclip or sewing needle to replace the missing pin. Any tips or tricks?

I have a broken pin 2 (CLK OUT) on an SIO port. If I cut the lead from the back side (mobo) can you pull the remaining piece through the black plastic case or do I have to dremel it out with a small drill bit? I plan to use a paperclip or sewing needle to replace the missing pin. Any tips or tricks?

They just slide out so you could cut the lead and pull it out.

Clock is used by peripheral makers if they "feel the need" to use it.

In the cases of 1050 and SIO2PC/APE at the least, there is no need. So long as a peripheral can keep it's timing within +- 5% or so of what Pokey is using, then you don't get problems.

You could probably work out what peripherals (if any) use the Clock by checking out the schematics.

I have replaced a broken pin with same size copper wire. Will work but copper will tarnish after a while. Try your best to round off the end of the wire.

Pin 2 isn't used by any atari device that I know of. Most if not all 3rd party floppy drives don't make use of clock out either.Some of the newer 3rd party devices may use clock out.

Best to try and see if sio2usb works before trying to fix the sio port.

James

Buy some nasty old broken Atari peripheral (except a 410 and the like) cheap and remove the SIO ports for spares. Then keep the broken ones if you want to try replacing individual pins in the future.

there is no such thing as a nasty atari peripheral ;')

but for this a 1027 printer would be a good choice, as they are dirt cheap (cause they are useless, since all the print heads have turned into something that resembles severely overcooked pasta), have two sio ports, and a host of other cool little parts...

sloopy.

• Like 1

I have pulled out the remnants of the broken pin in a 400 I had. I then cut a paper clip and bent it into shape. I replaced the pin with the cut paperclip and soldered into place. It looks good and tested fine, but I did not keep it long enough to test if it held up or if the connection had any problems.