IGNORED

Digital Joysticks provide better control than Analog Joysticks

atariksi

Digital Joysticks vs. Analog Joysticks  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Digital Joystick or Analog

• I prefer Atari 2600 style Digital Joysticks
    • I prefer Analog Joysticks (Wico/A5200/Gravis PC/etc.)
    • I prefer arrow keys and CTRL key

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

atariksi, so you have permission in writing from your church for the new derivative works you're selling which are based on their copyrighted media? I better contact them to make sure. wouldn't want them to have to shut you down like a few years ago...

As I said, read post #1411. You are showing your envious nature of trying to find fault and speculating without knowing anything. My church (temple actually) doesn't have any rights of the works I'm using. I was never shut down. I have rights for MPDOS as its solely my creation. I have rights to the other works but not from my temple. You are utterly confused and envious. In fact, given your envious mentality, you would have contacted them already if you knew your facts.

If you do contact them and find out that post #1411 is perfectly true, then please admit honestly that you are an envious snake and a troll and leave this place for causing disturbances.

And certain games are written for analog joysticks (i.e., forced to use the in-between states), so that cannot be used in favor of analog joysticks or that both have their uses.

Why is it not OK to use a game written for an analog stick to say an analog stick is better, but it is OK to use games written for digital sticks to say digital sticks are better? I don't understand this. To me, this is the definition of bias, and it shows why your original statement is flawed.

Please explain this type of "science" to me.

They forced the game to use in-between states and no digital joystick version of the game exists so that game cannot be used in favor of analog joystick. We all know Star Wars, Missile Command, Pole Position, Flight Simulator, etc. were analog joystick based but were written for the digital joystick and work great with digital joystick.

• Like 1

So, what about "SSX" and "Tail Gunner?"

They are "forced" to use in-between states, and both would not play well on digital joysticks. Binary control schemes are not adequate to express the number of states needed to deliver a optimal experience for the player. In other words, LESS control, due to insufficient state expressions, which require time be consumed to communicate enough bits of information to the game. That latency inhibits the player, as both games are time critical, and position critical, two cases that require multiple states of input be present, and rapid access to said states be possible, neither of which is possible with the digital joystick, due to the time penalty that input device requires.

Are those some how invalid cases, because they are not optimal with a digital joystick? At some point here, you are going to have to address those use cases, or qualify your initial statement. You gonna go and say those games are flawed, and the programmers somehow nefarious, or dumb for writing them? Are you going to really dig it deeper and say they could be written for digital joysticks in such a way as to capture the experience they do now?

Working hard to demonstrate how other people have issues isn't doing your case any favors Atariksi.

And you are one creative individual, clearly with many LONG years of struggle with self-acceptance of your own errors in reasoning.

That's going to be called the "inverted qualification". What you just attempted to do was avoid qualifying your own, flawed and unresolvable, and extreme proposition, by simply invalidating the use cases that show your proposition to be flawed, unresolvable and extreme.

Nicely done! I think I'm gonna add it to the list, and it pleases me to no end to see a really new one! You did not disappoint. I knew you had some good stuff in you. That's off the table now, just like all the others. Easily identified, and now useless as anyone can just call it for what it is, redirecting the discussion back to the point at hand

; namely,

the idea that digital control is always superior is refuted.

Your turn, thanks for playing!

(and you did ask for it, remember that)

Edited by potatohead
  • Like 3

So atariksi, when the web links to your products went missing suddenly years ago, and you posted a cryptic message about "copyright concerns" what was that all about? and as for the BBTI meeting notes on the web about limiting you to selling out your inventory of 500 copies, what was that about? what was the BBTI's side of the story, and what was yours?

Edited by bmcnett
  • Like 3

That's going to be called the "inverted qualification". What you just attempted to do was avoid qualifying your own, flawed and unresolvable, and extreme proposition, by simply invalidating the use cases that show your proposition to be flawed, unresolvable and extreme.

Nicely done! I think I'm gonna add it to the list, and it pleases me to no end to see a really new one! You did not disappoint. I knew you had some good stuff in you. That's off the table now, just like all the others. Easily identified, and now useless as anyone can just call it for what it is, redirecting the discussion back to the point at hand

; namely,

the idea that digital control is always superior is refuted.

Your turn, thanks for playing!

(and you did ask for it, remember that)

Thanks for nicely quantifying that. He's done it in every one of his arguments. I've been pushing this point for about half this thread and slowly making him refute some stuff, he just won't admit it (did get an admisssion that paddles are best option for breakout, but not that analog is better - LOL)

• Like 2

WOOHOO!!! i got post $0600!!!

probly a sad thing tho this thread getting to $600 posts tho...

sloopy.

+1 ;') -->

It's not a bad thing except the off-topic discussions.

ps: I wrote this at 5:12 pm.

but $0600 is more significant in the A8 then 512, now if this was a Mac forum, 512 would be significant...

sloopy.

Ladies and Gentlemen, In an attempt to bring this thread back on track I have repeated atariksi's controller experiment, and found results contrary to his.

My digital controller test was a complete failure. The fact of the matter is, when playing a modern game like Need For Speed with a digital controller I could barely stay on the road...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vunngNAnF8Y

...so much for that vaunted a priori knowledge!

• Like 5

Ladies and Gentlemen, In an attempt to bring this thread back on track I have repeated atariksi's controller experiment, and found results contrary to his.

My digital controller test was a complete failure. The fact of the matter is, when playing a modern game like Need For Speed with a digital controller I could barely stay on the road...

LMFAO!

I'd like to know where you can purchase that wooden controller. Do you reckon you could convert it for the wooden 2600?

Aaron

This is all well and good but did you use string sourced from a Priory ? :ponder: I believe that string from unapproved sources could have a detrimental impact on the Y axis causing a percentile loss to the second ratio causing a random flux of the inertial matter.

• Like 1

Awesome!

Clearly that game was crippled, forcing the use of in-between states. A well designed game, like Pole Position does not suffer from such bias.

:D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :P

And it's on Hack A Day. You rock!

http://hackaday.com/2011/01/02/hackaday-links-january-2-2011/

(If only they knew the motivation)

Edited by potatohead

And it's on Hack A Day. You rock!

http://hackaday.com/2011/01/02/hackaday-links-january-2-2011/

(If only they knew the motivation)

I actually ran across the video on hackaday, and me being an envious serpent and all, I figured I'd run with the joke. |:)

But I still stand by the thousands of byte of experimental data in the video! :D

Kind of like using an analog joystick for pac man, complete fail.

Kind of like using an analog joystick for pac man, complete fail.

Actually, neither analog nor digital joystick would be used for a steering wheel (a big paddle). You would use a big paddle so you have a better feel for the in-between states. So he's making a straw-man argument. And there's better implementations for steering with digital joysticks as well. Digital always wins for control-- it just so happens that not all types of digital controllers are implemented or common (like a digital steering wheel).

Your illiterate...

No, you're illiterate. (And I'm an envious snake, obviously.)

No wait...I'm a demon. :evil:

Or maybe a bounty hunter. :jango:

I have used both "you're" and "your" with the latter being a typo. I only call people envious snakes if they deserve it truthfully and so far it's only been three people with bmcnett being the top one. I never called you nor RevEng envious snakes. RevEng acted like a skunk though.