IGNORED

Help me find a cheap, easy to use Eprom Programmer

Dr Manhattan

Greetings everyone! I am looking to get into the cartridge reproduction hobby. I have always been fascinated by cartridge reproductions, especially for the 2600 and the NES. I also recently learned how to sodder and I would love to have a project that helped me improve my skills. And since I'll never be able to afford all the reproductions I would like to own, I might as well learn how to make them myself. (On a side note, the harmony cart is great but nothing beats having a box full of 2600 carts. :) )

I have been doing a lot of research on the web, and I have been taking notes and saving many bookmarks. But the one thing I can't find is the right eprom writer. Can anyone here recommend one that is both affordable and easy to use?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Could you explain a little more about this? Are you talking about a UV Exposure box? If so, and please forgive me for sounding like a noob, but how would it be used in this process?

OTPs are One Time Programmable devices meaning you can only program them once.

If you are using EPROMs (with a window) you must ensure they are blank before you program them. This is done by exposing the window to UV light for a period of time.

• Like 2

EPROMs are erased by high-intensity UV, which is dangerous to eyes and skin. It can even damage the EPROM chips if they are exposed for too long. Since you want to get into making repro carts on the cheap, it's assumed that you'll very likely be installing used EPROMs, so you'll need to erase them before programming.

• Like 2

Could you explain a little more about this? Are you talking about a UV Exposure box? If so, and please forgive me for sounding like a noob, but how would it be used in this process?

OTPs are One Time Programmable devices meaning you can only program them once.

If you are using EPROMs (with a window) you must ensure they are blank before you program them. This is done by exposing the window to UV light for a period of time.

EPROMs are erased by high-intensity UV, which is dangerous to eyes and skin. It can even damage the EPROM chips if they are exposed for too long. Since you want to get into making repro carts on the cheap, it's assumed that you'll very likely be installing used EPROMs, so you'll need to erase them before programming.

Thank you both very much for this helpful information. After reading your posts I searched the web and found a diagram for building a UV Exposure Box. I should be able to pull it off. Unfortunately, I think I still need to do a little more reasearch and planning before I dive right into my reproduction project.

I didn't want to say anything but part of the reason I'm doing this is so that I can have something to give people at CGE2K11. I have a long history of bringing my own freebies to conventions. (Video Game cons, Sci-Fi cons, and other fun geek gatherings.) I just like to share the love, lol.

Well, back on topic. I still haven't found ther right Eprom Programmer. There are a bunch on ebay but I don't know which one to buy. I guess I might also consider doing Genesis repros down the line. But first I just want to concentrate on 2600 and NES. (Especially 2600) So I would need a programmer/writer that works with the eproms for all these systems. If you have any recommendations please let me know.

Thanks again for all the help. :)

• 4 weeks later...

this is an older thread, but if you still need info...

i have had a Genius G540 for about a year now and have had no problems with it, it does (E)EPROMS, PIC, older ATmega's, PALs, GAL's and some MCU's. i have programmed many eproms, several GAL's and a few atmega8's..

they can be bought from many sellers on ebay, almost all in china, which is where i bought mine (24 days from purchase to receive), but if you look you can find ones that include adaptors for also programming PLCC chips too (mine came with adaptors for 28pin and 44pin PLCC's), and PLCC extractor...

as for UV eraser, I use one of these:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1404788434451?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=140478843445&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

the only cons i have found are:

on the G540, the app for it is written in engrish, and takes a little more then just install to work in vista/7, but is an install and use on XP...

on the UV eraser, the timer indicator isnt correct, its marked as 1-6mins, but in the 4minute range is actually 10mins, and is what is needed for erasing any eprom i have ever used in it...

any other questions, just ask...

sloopy.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have a Genius G540, and the damned thing does jack. It will read a chip, but it refuses to program anything: I select a chip (SST 39VF010), drop it in the adapter, load a file to burn to it (A Pro Action Replay mk3 rom), and press 'program'...and all I get is "ProgramError". There's no help file aside from an Engrish manual that is more about installing the software itself. Would you mind explaining how you got your G540 to do more than blink and waste time?

I have the more expensive genius, it does jack as well. I wound up getting a super dirt cheap willem. The dirt cheap willem is as non-user-friendly as you can possibly get, but it does everything I throw at it. With the right adapters my willem dumps anything I want, and programs anything I want.

I have a Genius G540, and the damned thing does jack. It will read a chip, but it refuses to program anything: I select a chip (SST 39VF010), drop it in the adapter, load a file to burn to it (A Pro Action Replay mk3 rom), and press 'program'...and all I get is "ProgramError". There's no help file aside from an Engrish manual that is more about installing the software itself. Would you mind explaining how you got your G540 to do more than blink and waste time?

• 4 weeks later...