IGNORED

A Minimal Test Games

Wookie

So I'm nearing completion of my HLAKit compiler and I was wondering if any of you had ideas/code for an extremely minimal test game.

I was thinking of code that shows a single sprite on the screen and then goes into an endless loop that does nothing. I'll use the best idea/code as the example game in the HLAKit source tree.

The HLAKit compiler is a re-implementation of the NESHLA compiler in Python and architected to be easily extended to support multiple CPUs and Platforms. The initial 1.0 release supports just the Lynx. 1.1 will support the NES as well.

I have added the Lynx encryption code into the compiler so that it will automatically encrypt loader code for you. No more reliance on Harry's encrypted loader and file system. The example game I have written so far uses my microloader that initializes a few things then loads and unencrypted secondary loader into RAM and runs it. That gets you past the decryption phase cleanly and in a minimal amount of time.

What I need now is some code that the secondary loader will load to 0x0200 in RAM and execute it by jmp'ing to 0x0200. That code needs to do something to signal that everything worked like show a sprite or play a tone.

If the code needs data, like a sprite, the data needs to be statically defined as a byte array in the code. This is because I want to limit what the code does.

I'll take C code or assembly. With C, I'll translate it into HLA code for the HLAKit compiler.

--Wookie

• 2 weeks later...