IGNORED

Wii Homebrew channel gone?

hex65000

So I picked up Haunted House and planned on spending last night digging into the fun until I had to go to sleep. But of course, Nintendo is pushing system updates through their new games. I've got a slightly older rev of the Homebrew channel and after realizing that the update would likely kill my homebrew channel install and plug any chances of it working again, I decided to try and update my HBC install first.

The result is nothing happened. And even the Homebrew updater (which is an awesome idea) was crapping out due to being unable to connect to the site. I tried it again just a little bit ago and the entire group of sites seem to be hosed. Is this Nintendo's lawyer-drones finally beating down the Homebrew channel or is this just simply technical difficulties. Regardless. I would like to reinstall HBC 1.08 before I submit to Nintendo's will.

Any insights here? Or help?

Hex.

[ While I know these guy(s) likely pissed off Nintendo pretty badly, I give them credit for trying to keep their tools from becoming totally being co-opted by the warez circle... ]

Still dead over here and from the looks of it I'm not the only one. If you try to actually dig into the website and the download page you'll get timed out. I wonder if Nintendo is launching a DOS attack on them -- most likely candidate. That does seem to be at least morally questionable if that is true.

Hex.

[ Is willing to wait, but this is rather disturbing to see. ]

I was using the HBC last night...

My HBC is up to date...still on FW 3.2 IIRC though. I wonder if I should update that?

I updated to the current FW which I think is 4.3, it doesnt break the HBC if you updated HBC but it does break USB loaders\Wiiflows etc.

Just use CIOSX v19 and re-load up your IOS and it will fix the loaders again if you use those things. :ponder:

My HBC is up to date...still on FW 3.2 IIRC though. I wonder if I should update that?

I updated to the current FW which I think is 4.3, it doesnt break the HBC if you updated HBC but it does break USB loaders\Wiiflows etc.

Just use CIOSX v19 and re-load up your IOS and it will fix the loaders again if you use those things. :ponder:

Is there any good reason to upgrade the FW?

Is there any good reason to upgrade the FW?

No. There's no reason to do it as far as I have read. I may be wrong but I havent seen anything out there. According to most places it's sole purpose is to remove homebrew.

It appears that they are back up and running again. I didn't see anything that said what was causing the poor response or lack of access to their site(s). Updated HBC and BootMii to the current rev., ran the official Nintendo update and I'm current on 4.3u with homebrew functionality still in place. Now I need to figure out how to install a cIOS so I can use one of the memcard manager apps I found through the homebrew browser...

My impression is that the cIOS installs are typically used for 'backups' I'm a total noob at this and really just want to get the memory manager application working so I can move around my Wii and GCube saves.

Anyway, things look healthy as far as I can tell.. :) Spoiler below contains my current syscheck report.

sysCheck v2.0.1 by Double_A

...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U

System Menu 4.3U (v513)

Hollywood v0x11

Console ID: xx5xxxxx

Boot2 v4

Found 82 titles.

Found 45 IOS on this console. 16 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub

IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches

IOS10 (rev 768): Stub

IOS11 (rev 256): Stub

IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches

IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches

IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches

IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches

IOS16 (rev 512): Stub

IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches

IOS20 (rev 256): Stub

IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches

IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches

IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches

IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub

IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches

IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches

IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches

IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches

IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches

IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches

IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches

IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub

IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches

IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches

IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches

IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches

IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches

IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub

IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub

IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub

IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches

IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches

IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches

IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches

IOS58 (rev 6176): No Patches

IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub

IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches

IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub

IOS80 (rev 6944): No Patches

IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub

IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub

IOS249 (rev 65280): Stub

IOS250 (rev 65280): Stub

IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii

BC v6

MIOS v10

Hex.

[ Is just happy that he can now boot up Haunted House without worrying about screwing up his install... ]

My impression is that the cIOS installs are typically used for 'backups' I'm a total noob at this and really just want to get the memory manager application working so I can move around my Wii and GCube saves.

Anyway, things look healthy as far as I can tell.. :) Spoiler below contains my current syscheck report.

sysCheck v2.0.1 by Double_A

...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

[ Is just happy that he can now boot up Haunted House without worrying about screwing up his install... ]

Right.....you will need waninkoko's CIOS installer which is the best to add those CIO's. The loaders usually come in a packaged automated installer. Forwarders are programs that let you run stuff outside the HBC (for convenience). So if you install Wiiflow (a loader) you can nab a Wiiflow-forwarder with it and install it and it will place a channel for it on the wii main menu. I think there are also forwarders for FCEultra GX (nes) and Visual Boy Advance GX (GBA).

• 1 month later...

Sometimes the Web servers used by HBC and HBB go down--its happened a couple of times recently. Not much you can do about it but try again later. I believe you can set HBC and HBB to manual updates so that network checks are not required, but this can only be done while you have an active network connection :-S

As far as upgrades, the HBB and HBC official stance is that upgrading should be safe if you are running HBC 4.3. Of course, this could change, but I find it unlikely that Nintendo will put much more effort into it this late in the console generation. Hell, they are pulling out of selling/promoting Wii Speak according to news this week, and their lack of Opera Flash support is painful.

There is an open source HBC alternative called Homebrew Filter. Its German, and can be obtained from here:

http://webrewwii.blogspot.com/search/label/Homebrew%20Filter

or here:

http://www.wii-homebrew.com/download/nintendo-wii-downloads/loader/homebrew-filter/

I've never used it, and I am curious as to what benefits it would convey over HBC, but so far I am happy enough with HBC to not want to put forth the effort to switch.