IGNORED

I love H.E.R.O.

Lord-Chaos

Yeah, H.E.R.O is one of several Activision games that were instant classics. The 2600 probably would not have done so well had it not been for Activision.

It's odd, I don't even own the game anymore except on CV, and on a disk for my closeted Atari 8bit computer. Need to get a 2600 and 5200 version someday soon.

To be honest, once it gets to the hard levels, where you must hover carefully as you drop to the next screen with expanding/narrowing red walls, I usually got killed quickly and gave up.

Yeah, this is a great game, and when I got my 7800 out of mothballs (ok, not literally-- :) --I care for my systems a lot better than that) that was one of the first games that I put in. It's amazing how automatic it was for me, I thought I would've forgotten a lot of it, but I ended up remembering a ton! Wow, I can just drop right down, go left, and I know I can drop down again without getting hurt...whups, wrong way, don't remember that lava wall being there, damn it :)

H.E.R.O is to my mind, one of the TOP 5 VCS games ever. It has it all (that random level feature is AMAZING!). Its tough enough for even the seasoned gamer, there is PLENTY of level variety, and the action is non-stop. The game concept is unique, and I just plain LOVE it. Its the best. 8)

If you don't have it, you best snatch one up, they are fetching $12 and up easily these days.

Hello fellow gamers:

A few months back, dor Ron Corcoran's monthly console challenge, I did manage a 699K on the game...just missing 700K, a free man, and a chance at at least 80-100K more points, as I died on my last guy in the stage 20-pattern screen on the very last red radioactive barrier. What a terrible way to go !!

Anyway, this is one of the top 10 Atari 2600 titles for sure. The challenge is superb, and the concept itself is refreshing. Reminds me in some respects of the "Caverns of Mars" Atari 800 title in that you are going into a downward complex in search of some goal. But other than that observation, H.E.R.O. stands apart from most other 2600 titles.

The graphics are creative, colourful and sharp. The gameplay is extremely responsive in MOST (*) cases, and whoever dreamed up the time limit per stage did an excellent job at cutting it close...especially in the stage 20 pattern.

NOTE (*) - to this day I have problems scooting under the red barriers with the necessary maneuver...sometimes I lurch upwards earlier than expected and touch the barrier. Other times I fall on an angle into the lava...either way it's not perfect...but close !!

The repeating stages 13-20 are okay, but really, the only challenge is stages 17-20, and even then it's only stages 19 & 20 that are super hard...stages 17 & 18 are passably hard, but easily do-able once you know how. The challenge is to reach each stage 19-pattern with 6 men in storage, and finish each stage 20-pattern with hopefully 3+ men in storage, as the stages 13-18 that follow you will most likely lose no extra lives and gain 3-4 back.

I think the most fun part is to see how far you can get on a single life, among other chalenges, like how fast you can finish stage 20, or how many points can you acumulate by end of stage 20 on one life...things like that (proficiency, etc).

Until I get 1M, the game will never rest in my house. Just wish there was a sequel...or a REALLY lengthy level which combines all of stages 1-20 in one huge level with an ultra tight time limit. Yeah, that would be awesome !!

Robert

Hey, does anyone know how well H. E. R. O. sold when it came out?  I remember seeing ads galore for it, but have generally heard that it was a bit ignored since it came out during the crash and I was wondering if that was accurate or not.  It seems to me it should've sold a crapload of copies.

Not only did it come out right before the crash, but as I remember it, it was released at the same time as Pitfall II.

I don't know for sure, but it couldn't have sold as many as it should have. It has a 5 rating on the rarity scale. It can be tougher to get a hold of than other 5's just because it's so fun to play.

Montezuma's Revenge is another rare game that is one of the best for the 2600.

Wanna get far in HERO??

Fry the game until you see a trapped miner sitting there... and you can't see yourself. You will be able to hear yourself...just push the button.

Wait for the timer to run out. You will start over but your reserves will be "messed up" You will have 100's and 100's of free lives.... more than enough to get thru every level and beyond.

Try it.

OOOOOOH - Talking about H.E.R.O.? YEA! That reminds me of one of my favorite practical jokes! Click below...http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12796

LOL! Clever.

Kind of like when a buddy of mine down the street called (this was when we were in junior high) one day, all excited, saying he had gotten a new game. Ohhh goody, what? Laser Blast. Feh. Played it, mastered it, beaten it. But no, that's not it! When I got home and opened up the box PITFALL 2 WAS IN IT!! Dude!! Oh, my mom wants to talk to your mom. Oh, ok...hands mom phone...geez, now someone's at the door...it's my friend!! Man, I knew he was on the track team, but I didn't know he was that fast...let's plug it in and let 'er rip!

That was a good day. :D

Wanna get far in HERO??

Fry the game until you see a trapped miner sitting there... and you can't see yourself. You will be able to hear yourself...just push the button.  

Wait for the timer to run out. You will start over but your reserves will be "messed up" You will have 100's and 100's of free lives.... more than enough to get thru every level and beyond.

Try it.

D'ya know, Ive tried this having read it elsewhere (DP I think) and I couldnt get it to work. There have been other 'fries' Ive been unable to take advantage of as well. It leads me to think Frying is harder/not always possible/impossible on a 240v current. :sad:

My favourite ATARI 2600 game.And technical it´s quite good , too.

Too bad they never made a sequel.

Thimo

BTW. I don´t know how rare this game is in North America , but it was re-released by SALU in Europe as "white label".

It was also ported to almost every 8 - Bit system , that means ATARI 800,C64,Coleco etc.

Thimo

Fry? I've heard the term but either I don't get it or my 2600 doesn't.

.....and massive levels.....

Hmmm, Godzilla, While I agree H.E.R.O. is one of the best ever, I would disagree with this point, in fact, I think level size holds this game back. I think so much more could be done with the game on the 2600.

For example, Secret Queest has FAR, FAR, more individual screen's (and I presume - playfields - shoot me down prgrammers if i'm wrong) than H.E.R.O....... if there were as many individual playfields in H.E.R.O as there are in SQ you would need to negotiate a lot more than 16 screens to finish the final level.

If H.E.R.O. was released in 1988ish on a 16K cart rather than in '84 on 8K cart I think it really would have been recognised as a groundbreaker far more than it is.

Fry?  I've heard the term but either I don't get it or my 2600 doesn't.

Rapidly switching the power on and off to create bugs in the game. I believe the term is credited to slapdash himself, Mr. Russell Perry Jr.

OK, that's what I thought and that's what I was trying to do. Nada. I seem to remember being able to do this sort of stuff with my old 4 switcher but the Vader that I've got now seems to be unaffected.