IGNORED

How to run MAME on original Xbox ?

bacteria

There are various releases. I personally use MAMEox (spelled like something along those lines). Anyways, soft-mod your system (plenty of tutorials online), then find a way to download whatever emulator you please. If I remember correctly (it has been a long time since I've gone through this process), all you have to do is drag the emulator from your PC (while networked with the XBOX) to a specific folder on your console (whatever your modded dashboard specifies).

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=215055

Not saying it is the best but it was 2nd result in google searching: "xbox softmod tutorial"

That kind of stuff really is not hard to find on your own folks. Also try googling "xbox softmod for dummies"

More than enough to get you going. Do you even TRY?

Yeah, just use your buddy Google. Hell, I could probably even spell out the process for you, provided my memory still serves me right. Be forewarned though you will need one of the games to activate the hack (Splinter Cell is what I use), as well as an Action Replay with the memory card so you can transfer the bios upgrade from your PC to your console.

I am curious about this, as well.

However, I certainly do not blame people for asking here, rather than resorting to Google. Just because it comes up on a Google search doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate information. For people such as myself, even "softmodding" an Xbox is dark, unchartered waters. Pitfalls and consequences are unknown to someone who has never done this.

Someone might want to know:

"Can I brick my Xbox?"

"Is this reversible?"

"How easy was it, in actuality?"

"If there is more than one method, which is the preferred one?"

These kinds of questions are much more confidently answered in a nice little community forum like this one, by an actual person who has actually DONE the procedure, and who is willing to share (assuming such a person does indeed exist) their experience with fellow AtariAge users.

If I wanted to know how many kilograms are in a stone, of course I'd use Google.

• Like 3

I am curious about this, as well.

However, I certainly do not blame people for asking here, rather than resorting to Google. Just because it comes up on a Google search doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate information. For people such as myself, even "softmodding" an Xbox is dark, unchartered waters. Pitfalls and consequences are unknown to someone who has never done this.

Someone might want to know:

"Can I brick my Xbox?"

"Is this reversible?"

"How easy was it, in actuality?"

"If there is more than one method, which is the preferred one?"

These kinds of questions are much more confidently answered in a nice little community forum like this one, by an actual person who has actually DONE the procedure, and who is willing to share (assuming such a person does indeed exist) their experience with fellow AtariAge users.

If I wanted to know how many kilograms are in a stone, of course I'd use Google.

Then in a case like that for such specifics a XBOX specific forum community would be better.

• Like 1

Softmod = win. My box is now the all encompassing entertainment center of my living room. I can play Xbox games on it, burned games (though this requires some doing, as you have to sort of play with the files and recompile a burnable ISO), MAME (I use MameOX), and with XBox Media Center on it, it functions as a great internet tv, too. If that weren't enough, since it's on the network, I can play any compatible video or music files (and most are compatible) from my computer (or any on the network) straight on the television. SO cool. It ALSO plays DVDs like a champ, and there are a ton of emulators for other systems like Genny and SNES available for it (the NES emulator is AWESOME). Really, it's the most used system I have, even if I don't play actual XBox games on it very often.

Google "Ndure" if you want to have the best type of softmod. This method however requires 1) a memory card, and 2) one of the 3 games:

MechAssault

Splintercell 1

or 007 Agent Under Fire

Has to be the original games. You can probably find these at a used game store for about a buck 99. Or maybe you can't.

-----------------------------

Can someone provide a link to a good dependable soft-modding process, hopefully spelled out for simpletons like myself?

I myself wrote a small tutorial a while ago with a small IDE swap process. It's an older mod, but essentially the same as ndure. The difference is you need to open up your xbox, and be able to boot up a computer with a linux bootdisk (provided) and have free IDE cable dangling out of it for a swap. Note.. this was just written for myself, so it may or may not be user friendly and I may have left out something here or there. But otherwise, it should be fine enough. :P

http://www.4shared.com/dir/_CSM794E/sharing.html

Edited by NE146

There are two major versions of the Ndure mod. The first (1.0) is a dashboard hack and the second (1.1), along with the minor revision to it (1.1.1), use nkpatcher. The newer one is a superior mod. If you use Ndure, which I do when performing softmods, use the newest one. Also, it will install UnleashedX as the dashboard. UnleashedX is certainly a nice dashboard and was a big upgrade over what was available but XBMC provides the best dashboard today and I recommend switching to it after the mod install is complete. It is still being developed at xbmc4xbox.org.

...as well as an Action Replay with the memory card so you can transfer the bios upgrade from your PC to your console.

I have to have an Action Replay?

It comes with a memory card that can be linked to your computer along with the software drivers. This is the part you will need. You need it to transfer the bios installer (the hack) to your XBOX system, as well as a glitched save file from one of the games as NE146 mentioned above.

You don't have to use an action replay. You can use the hotswap method without buying anything: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496263

Another option is to send me your official MS memory card (these are the only ones you can be assured will work. Other cards are known to corrupt the save games or cause bad mods) and I will be happy to load the saved games onto it for you and send it back. You just have to let me know what exploitable game you plan to use.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

Then in a case like that for such specifics a XBOX specific forum community would be better.

Yeah, I agree. However, the reasons I mentioned it are:

1) Although this is AtariAge, many (most?) users have other types of systems, and it's obvious non-Atari systems are discussed at length here, routinely.

2) This thread is titled "How to run MAME on an original Xbox" so it seemed like an entirely appropriate place to post such questions.

3) I was operating under the assumption (naive assumption??) that there are indeed users of the Xbox here - on this forum which I know and love, and in an appropriate thread on the topic - who are both experienced in running MAME **and** able/willing to share in their knowledge.

Please forgive me if all of that seems asinine to you.

Edited by wood_jl

Quite a load of replies!

I know the skills of many here extend to all types of systems. I always research plenty before starting a project part, however some times it is easier just to ask. For me, the only reason to consider putting Xbox into my system, if at all, is for MAME emulation, i'm not exactly keen on Xbox games. I have one Windows XP computer, the others Ubuntu. I wanted to know if it was an easy process or not to determine if it was worth my bother therefore.

Yeah, I agree. However, the reasons I mentioned it are:

1) Although this is AtariAge, many (most?) users have other types of systems, and it's obvious non-Atari systems are discussed at length here, routinely.

2) This thread is titled "How to run MAME on an original Xbox" so it seemed like an entirely appropriate place to post such questions.

3) I was operating under the assumption (naive assumption??) that there are indeed users of the Xbox here - on this forum which I know and love, and in an appropriate thread on the topic - who are both experienced in running MAME **and** able/willing to share in their knowledge.

Please forgive me if all of that seems asinine to you.

It does not seem asinine at all and there is nothing to "forgive" my suggestion was merely to help provide you with the best (in my opinion) method to get you the information you had asked for, lighten up. :roll: