IGNORED

Xbox Kinect is spying on You

Rev

Interesting stuff. good thing im not getting Kinect!

My link

Do you ever read the terms of service agreements that come with software, hardware and firmware updates? I know I don’t. I’m all too happy to scroll on to the end and click “yes.” One astute reader, liberty, took the time to read through the updated Xbox Live terms of service included with yesterday’s Xbox system update – and uncovered some pretty scary stuff.

Remember how we, via Microsoft’s Phil Spencer, assured you that Kinect wasn’t spying on you? It seems that might not be entirely factual; According to the terms of service, they can – and will use Kinect to monitor players.

Sections 9 and 12 of the updated terms of service are particularly scary :

If you accept the agreement, you “expressly authorize and consent to us accessing or disclosing information about you, including the content of your communications, in order to: (a) comply with the law or respond to lawful requests or legal process; (b) protect the rights or property of Microsoft, our partners, or our customers, including the enforcement of our agreements or policies governing your use of the Service; or © act on a good faith belief that such access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, customers, or the public.”

Also scary? they reserve the right to monitor your voice and chat sessions using their new camera system. Personal privacy? Not so personal, not so private.

“You should not expect any level of privacy concerning your use of the live communication features (for example, voice chat, video and communications in live-hosted gameplay sessions) offered through the Service.” They obviously won’t – and can’t – monitor every single system at the same time, but they say that they have the right to do so “to the maximum extent permitted by law.”

Microsoft also “reserves the right at all times to disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, or to edit, refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, in Microsoft’s sole discretion.” Break the law in front of your Kinect system? You could be up against the law.

Thinking of disabling or bypassing any of these monitoring systems? Well, that’s illegal. Of course,the TOS has always included sections that one might deem questionable if they favoured privacy – but with the inclusion of camera, it’s edging ever closer to an Orwellian level of surveillance. It seems Big Brother really is watching you

Edited by revolutionika

If I'm not mistaken, as part of the new update, there is a way to opt out of this type of monitoring that actually defaults to off. I'll check it again when I get home, but the only thing I remember being turned on by default is the ability for friends to video chat. Pretty sure this was under the My Xbox tab/blade/whatever they call it now.

"© act on a good faith belief that such access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, customers, or the public.”

What? Good Faith?

LOL...they really have some crafty lawyers in their legal dept.

Threaten Major Nelson and he can find you and your family! :P

I'm interested in the thing but only vaguely just like the Move. I also like some of the engineers that are working on it. But if there is nothing ground breaking out for it then I don't NEED it. I have enough motion controllers and modern day motion sensing dancepads.

Interesting stuff. good thing im not getting Kinect!

My link

Do you ever read the terms of service agreements that come with software, hardware and firmware updates? I know I don’t. I’m all too happy to scroll on to the end and click “yes.” One astute reader, liberty, took the time to read through the updated Xbox Live terms of service included with yesterday’s Xbox system update – and uncovered some pretty scary stuff.

Remember how we, via Microsoft’s Phil Spencer, assured you that Kinect wasn’t spying on you? It seems that might not be entirely factual; According to the terms of service, they can – and will use Kinect to monitor players.

Sections 9 and 12 of the updated terms of service are particularly scary :

If you accept the agreement, you “expressly authorize and consent to us accessing or disclosing information about you, including the content of your communications, in order to: (a) comply with the law or respond to lawful requests or legal process; (b) protect the rights or property of Microsoft, our partners, or our customers, including the enforcement of our agreements or policies governing your use of the Service; or © act on a good faith belief that such access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, customers, or the public.”

Also scary? they reserve the right to monitor your voice and chat sessions using their new camera system. Personal privacy? Not so personal, not so private.

“You should not expect any level of privacy concerning your use of the live communication features (for example, voice chat, video and communications in live-hosted gameplay sessions) offered through the Service.” They obviously won’t – and can’t – monitor every single system at the same time, but they say that they have the right to do so “to the maximum extent permitted by law.”

Microsoft also “reserves the right at all times to disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, or to edit, refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, in Microsoft’s sole discretion.” Break the law in front of your Kinect system? You could be up against the law.

Thinking of disabling or bypassing any of these monitoring systems? Well, that’s illegal. Of course,the TOS has always included sections that one might deem questionable if they favoured privacy – but with the inclusion of camera, it’s edging ever closer to an Orwellian level of surveillance. It seems Big Brother really is watching you

They'll only use this technology to monitor law abiding citizens. It certainly won't be used for sensible things like banning all the guys masturbating in front of their webcams in Uno.

• Like 1

They'll only use this technology to monitor law abiding citizens. It certainly won't be used for sensible things like banning all the guys masturbating in front of their webcams in Uno.

I have seen the opposite sex do that in uno as well as full blown sex sessions. its always shocking to see it when they join. i never thought that it would happen to me but i spoke to soon and had it happen. all you can do is leave the game and report them. i cant remember if you can kick or not because i got tired of seeing guys masturbating and stopped playing. sad that sick people like this are out there that do not care who might see it (aka kids), and ruin the fun of playing the game because you just might get a eye full.

Edited by madmax2069

I have seen the opposite sex do that in uno

Opposite sex?

Are you a female? Everyone knows women don't play Xbox 360, and the handful that do don't get naked!!

(BTW can you forward me their gamertag, ummm so I can block them.)

Thanks ahead of time.

• Like 1

I have seen the opposite sex do that in uno

Opposite sex?

Are you a female? Everyone knows women don't play Xbox 360, and the handful that do don't get naked!!

(BTW can you forward me their gamertag, ummm so I can block them.)

Thanks ahead of time.

ah yeah i am talking about the female gender, and i am a 31 year old man. when someone (the person i quoted) is talking about a man normally the oposite sex means female. and yes women do play on the 360. i know quite a few of them. i have quite a few on my friends list as a matter of fact. There are way more then you think. and the funny thing is i met most playing PGR4, Forza 3, and MW2. and no they are not teens ( meaning 18 or 19).

when i use to play UNO i seen many men and women getting nude and masturbating on cam, and getting the job done (aka having sex) . so don't tell me who does and does not play 360.

Its been such a long time ago i could not tell you their gamertag.

Edited by madmax2069

so don't tell me who does and does not play 360.

Actually I wasn't telling you anything, I was making something you might not have ever heard of (which is kind of surprising since you sound like quite the social butterfly)... A JOKE!!

Don't worry, in the future I'll avoid making lame cracks in threads you post in.

How stupid of me to assume you came to a video game forum for a bit of fun. :P

My bad. :cool:

• Like 1

I have a solution: unplug the internet while you play.

That'll suck for multiplayer or offline games that require you to be online to play, and won't stop the console from just potentially saving it's pictures/video/whatever to the harddrive temporarily until it has a connection. ;)

I can't say I was looking forward to playing Kinect stuff anyhow. (Not to mention I have nowhere near the amount of space needed in front of the TV to use it even if I did.)

so don't tell me who does and does not play 360.

Actually I wasn't telling you anything, I was making something you might not have ever heard of (which is kind of surprising since you sound like quiet the social butterfly)... A JOKE!!

Don't worry, in the future I'll avoid making lame cracks in threads you post in.

How stupid of me to assume you came to a video game forum for a bit of fun. :P

My bad. :cool:

I got the wrong impression from your post sorry.

Aww...and I was so looking forward to squeezing a Kinect into my room and doing the windmill with my jimmy to see if the thing thought I had a third leg or something. :P

I like some of the Ideas of the system, but eh, the games mostly look lame (more sports crap and virtual pet things...but Walmart does have a sonic game) But I don't have the room to stand up, much less jump around in my room.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of joining XBOX live soon but if its full of guys masturbating and playing Uno kinda is a turn off... I guess that is something Microsoft does not put in there advertisement.

I've been a Live Gold member since 2006 and I have 100% gamerscore on Uno. (Check my gamertag)

I have yet to see any guys masturbating in the game...or any game, so to say it's full of guys masturbating might be an overstatement.

My advice if you're still worried about it is to keep an updated friends list full of people you know aren't going to masturbate for you.

Easy peasy. :cool:

I was thinking of joining XBOX live soon but if its full of guys masturbating and playing Uno kinda is a turn off... I guess that is something Microsoft does not put in there advertisement.

I've been a Live Gold member since 2006 and I have 100% gamerscore on Uno. (Check my gamertag)

I have yet to see any guys masturbating in the game...or any game, so to say it's full of guys masturbating might be an overstatement.

My advice if you're still worried about it is to keep an updated friends list full of people you know aren't going to masturbate for you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as it's been a while since I played UNO, but I believe you can choose for options to have Video Chat On/Off and Audio Chat On/Off. Thus you can set it as you want. :)

HA HA HA!

This is one of the funniest (in a ridiculous kind of way) posts in a while. Thanks for the chuckle, guys. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know how to make my X-Box 360 go on the internet, but after reading that, I don't think I want to know. Also, Kinect and the PS3 thing are just blatant rip-offs of the Wii. Man, I remember days when I could just SIT DOWN and play a game without having to move. Those were the days...

I don't know how to make my X-Box 360 go on the internet, but after reading that, I don't think I want to know. Also, Kinect and the PS3 thing are just blatant rip-offs of the Wii. Man, I remember days when I could just SIT DOWN and play a game without having to move. Those were the days...

No, the move is the rip-off of the Wii remote, the Kinect is the one that's different (its way better if you ask me). as of right now only the games that require them are rip-offs (aka wii sports and such, a few do stand out from the rest though), that will change in time.

its simple to get the 360 on the net (plug in a Ethernet cable into the back or buy the wifi adapter and configure it to be used).

They wont spy on you, they just look to see what you have transmitted if you give them a reason to (aka if your being constantly reported for that sort of issue).