IGNORED

7800 LED mod

CPUWIZ

CPUWIZ...been there done that.

I changed out the red LED on my 7800 well over a year ago. I also changed out the LED on my 5200 as well. I would love to get a Purple LED and stick that in the 7800..and then add a red LED to my 2600 so that I have each one color coded correctly.

hehe...Very easy mod to do...but man..the 7800s do look sweet with BLUE leds!!!

:D

Sarcasm noted Brian...

But the different LEDs wasn't to tell them apart..it is because LEDs aren't very expensive and it takes like 5min to change them out. The main reason is to be different and look really cool. The Blue LED is almost too much as it casts a little blue ring on the ceiling from my 7800 when it is on. The 5200 looks better as the LED is behind that tinted plastic so it actually casts a ghostly blue ring on the top of the plastic. Simply pleasures.

And yes...I bought both of my BLUE LEDs at Radio shack for like I think $5 bucks a piece over a year ago. Anybody know if purple LEDs are avail over the counter yet? I know they have developed them as I read about it about a month after I installed the BLUE LEDs into my 7800 and 5200 units.

The 5200 was a bit trickier as I had to get all the shielding off to get to it..and remove the main board was a bit more interesting. Everything with a 5200 is more interesting.

;)

I figured some of you have done that, the blue LED (if you get it from RS) is around $4.00,- all you need to do is remove the resistor to the left of the LED and bridge the connection. This gives the blue LED is full brightness because most blue LED's are rated at 5V and with the resistor you are only getting about 2.4V !

I don't think you can get purple LED's over the counter but digikey.com stocks what they call "violet-clear" LED's.

I actually found several venders online who have super viloet LEDs in both 3.4 and 5volt types...and ranging from 340-750mn. But they all make you order like 20+ at once at about a 1.50+ each! So I don't feel like paying 50 bucks when I only need like 3 LEDs you know? Still...a Purple LED must be installed in my 7800...it is its destiny!!!

:D

Once I get an Eprom burner...I will then have a need to actually order all that stuff. I actually found all the chips and srams locally on spare dead boards around the office and at home to mod my 7800. I sent the eprom off to a buddy in Ohio to have the Dev OS put onto it. Now if I only had an eprom burner...I would be in business. I could start making carts up for friends etc...