IGNORED

3do or not to 3do?

Flojomojo

The open-sourcing of Star Control 2 has gotten me obsessing about a 3do player again.

I don't really need one, since I have plenty of nice modern consoles to play with ... not to mention the oldies we all love.

Considering the software available is generally equal to that of a fast 386, is it worth the $85 or so it would take to win one on Ebay? I fully intend to demo ISOs from IRC, so I'm not going nuts for lots of software right away. :twisted:

The 3DO is a FANTASTIC machine, and power is closer to a good 486, but considering your dislike of "Primitive 3D graphics," I wouldn't reccomend it for you. Stick to your Gamecube and you'll be happy.

The 3DO is a FANTASTIC machine, and power is closer to a good 486, but considering your dislike of "Primitive 3D graphics," I wouldn't reccomend it for you. Stick to your Gamecube and you'll be happy.
Many of 3DO's best games are in fact 2D. The larger question is: why must Gunstar always be an asshat among otherwise polite company? :ponder:

Thanks to all the kind folks who PM'ed me with suggestions and links for games.

I too have been inspired to acquire a 3DO lately due to the recent alpha release of Star Control 2. Thing is, I generally avoided it beforehand out of ignorance concerning what games were worthwhile for it. Any suggestions about some good library fodder and what brand system was the best/most reliable of the bunch??

I have a Goldstar and love it, that and my 2600 are the 2 systems I play the most. I definitely recommend everybody to get one, they're great! I must thank Lemmi for getting me a 3DO and some games, I really appreciate it. If you need some help, you should talk to Zangardo or Lemmi, they're both very knowledgable!

I too have been inspired to acquire a 3DO lately due to the recent alpha release of Star Control 2. Thing is, I generally avoided it beforehand out of ignorance concerning what games were worthwhile for it. Any suggestions about some good library fodder and what brand system was the best/most reliable of the bunch??

The Panasonic FZ1 deck (drawer loader) is a work horse and built strong and was the first one released

The FZ10 deck (flip top loader) smaller and alittle flimsy

The Goldstar deck (drawer loader) ive heard of problems with this system but i havent experienced any with mine (like drawer wont open, just quits working)

Here is a good thread for games, instead of me listing them all over again :)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...0&highlight=3do

I have a Goldstar and love it, that and my 2600 are the 2 systems I play the most.  I definitely recommend everybody to get one, they're great!  I must thank Lemmi for getting me a 3DO and some games, I really appreciate it.  If you need some help, you should talk to Zangardo or Lemmi, they're both very knowledgable!

Welcome Icecold, and dont forget Gunstar he knows about the 3DO as well :)

Also i have a extra FZ1 deck with 1 controller, it doesnt have the original RF switch but i have a Sega one that works with it, or you could use Svideo or Audio Video cables as well $40 with shipping (US only) if anyones interested i will include a couple games of my choice as well to get you going --- PM me

I have a Goldstar and love it, that and my 2600 are the 2 systems I play the most.  I definitely recommend everybody to get one, they're great!  I must thank Lemmi for getting me a 3DO and some games, I really appreciate it.  If you need some help, you should talk to Zangardo or Lemmi, they're both very knowledgable!

Welcome Icecold, and dont forget Gunstar he knows about the 3DO as well :)

Also i have a extra FZ1 deck with 1 controller, it doesnt have the original RF switch but i have a Sega one that works with it, or you could use Svideo or Audio Video cables as well $40 with shipping (US only) if anyones interested i will include a couple games of my choice as well to get you going --- PM me

Do Goldstars really sometimes just up and die like you said in your previous post? If so, then I may want to purchase your fz1 deck, as a backup(or use the goldstar as backup). Or if you're determined on letting somebody else enjoy the greatness of 3DO(instead of just somebody who already has one) then that's fine too! Let me know! :D

Do Goldstars really sometimes just up and die like you said in your previous post?  If so, then I may want to purchase your fz1 deck, as a backup(or use the goldstar as backup).  Or if you're determined on letting somebody else enjoy the greatness of 3DO(instead of just somebody who already has one) then that's fine too!  Let me know!  :D

If no one wants the FZ1 deck i will let you know Icecold :)

EDIT- yeah the goldstar is the one that people have had the most problems with and its the most auctioned system on ebay in a broken form as a fixer upper or parts

Do Goldstars really sometimes just up and die like you said in your previous post?  If so, then I may want to purchase your fz1 deck, as a backup(or use the goldstar as backup).  Or if you're determined on letting somebody else enjoy the greatness of 3DO(instead of just somebody who already has one) then that's fine too!  Let me know!  :D

If no one wants the FZ1 deck i will let you know Icecold :)

Okay, thanks :)

Doh!I just discovered that my favorite little anime/import shop has a new branch about 5 miles from my house! And they had a nice-looking FZ1 3DO box with two shrinkwrapped games .... for the same price as the FZ-10 I got on Ebay! Plus with no shipping charges, and instant gratification! :x :x :x If only I had shopped around a bit earlier. At least I now know they have games there, so I can go back in the future. And that the machine I'm getting is very close to, if not altogether, new.

My instincts need some fine-tuning ... haven't hunted old games in a while. :sad:

Hey,

The 3DO is a good machine, although I never liked much of the software for it. You definitely did the RIGHT thing by getting an FZ-10. I bought one not too long ago and keep it only for two games -- Incredible Machine and Lost Eden. Lost Eden is probably in my top ten games of all time...

A while ago, the GOAT Store picked up a ton of 3DO games. We got:

Fun N Games - Bleech. 'Nuf said.

Guardian War - an RPG like no other RPG I've ever played. Quite enjoyable.

Burning Soldier - a 3D shooter. Not the greatest thing ever (and if I recall, you are sorta on rails) but quite fun.

If you're interested, we're selling all three of them in a package for $5.00 on our Web site. I would also definitely suggest finding and scoring a Lost Eden, as even though they are ultra-rare, the game is one of the most beatifully constructed stories ever.

I would also definitely suggest finding and scoring a Lost Eden, as even though they are ultra-rare, the game is one of the most beatifully constructed stories ever.
Hey Goat -- I bought some NUON stuff from you earlier this year. I didn't know Lost Eden was on the 3DO -- I remember that from when it came out on the PC. It's the original "Dinosaur Planet."

I might get one,but I wouldn't spend over $50 on one.Maybe one day I will get one. :D  :ponder:  :roll:
That's what I said ... and the other day, I ordered one. Perhaps it will arrive someday soon. Until then, I shall feel guilty about the people who actually manufacture the hardware. See http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/mercuryne...nia/4597519.htm

For some reason I see quite alot of 3DO games at the local flea markets round here. They want too much for them tho.

I havent played my 3DO in like 5 years. I remember I got one off ebay with like 30 games with it, can't remember what the cost was.... Seems to me it was like $90.

I do remember I was underwelmed for the most part. I remember them pushing these things at the mall when they first came out, they wanted like $600 for one. I wound up getting a CD-I for like $400 and took it back a couple weeks later.

OK I'm done rambling

I've been considering getting a 3DO for the past 9 months... they had a setup at my local game shop for $50 with like 7 games and 2 controllers (no longer there mind you) but I didn't pick it up.

I would expect a 3DO system to sell for about $40.... at least that seems right to me. I'll just wait till some madman posts their entire collection on eBay for $300 big ones and I'll try to get it, take a lot of the work out of finding games for it (which isn't fun when you live in an area that don't sell 3DO's or games..)

Clint Thompson

:P

I would also definitely suggest finding and scoring a Lost Eden, as even though they are ultra-rare, the game is one of the most beatifully constructed stories ever.
Hey Goat -- I bought some NUON stuff from you earlier this year. I didn't know Lost Eden was on the 3DO -- I remember that from when it came out on the PC. It's the original "Dinosaur Planet."

Lost Eden was one of those games released so late in the lifespan of the system that it hardly got noticed. After playing through it on my 3DO, I bought the PC version (intending than to sell my 3DO, as I have way too many systems) but the PC version... well, stinks compared to the 3DO version.