IGNORED

Watch the Faire online!

Opry99er

Have fun!! There's even a live chat!

Tried to watch the show but no luck at all :(

There was no moving picture and sound dropped every 3-4 seconds, so I gave up after a while.

I sure hope they recorded the faire on video as they did the last year.

Seem to have been quite an event, with a lot of demos.

Well, something I just thought about is that no one turns the camera around to show the "other half" of the Faire. Next year I might take a camera and do a montage of the Faire, surrounding Evanston (which has a lot of nice ASSets), and the people at the Faire. The presentations are ok, but IMO the fun is going on in the back. I had a good time, but again the "presentations" cut deep into the time people had to talk shop and see what everyone brought, etc. In the middle of the day I counted 30 people in the room... Another 70 would have been nice!

Matthew

• Like 4

Well, something I just thought about is that no one turns the camera around to show the "other half" of the Faire. Next year I might take a camera and do a montage of the Faire, surrounding Evanston (which has a lot of nice ASSets), and the people at the Faire. The presentations are ok, but IMO the fun is going on in the back. I had a good time, but again the "presentations" cut deep into the time people had to talk shop and see what everyone brought, etc. In the middle of the day I counted 30 people in the room... Another 70 would have been nice!

Matthew

You're right. Maybe the Faire should be spread out over 2 days instead of one. Something to think about for next year, given the number of pending projects currently slated to be completed and presented in 2011.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

I may also be living under a rock, and stay within the confinement / luxury of AtariAge. Even only reading topics of interest, to make room for the TI fun that I like, which is mostly programming games. So lots of stuff around here going under the radar.

I do however wonder why the Faire and other activities around the world are not promoted and covered much more and better here. Photos, videos etc. I mean, if you go through the trouble of traveling thousands of miles, why not go to AtariAge and put up a picture or something.

I think we had a pinned Event thread once, but it just got old and out of date, so we unpinned it. Sadly. Thanks for trying @retroclouds. I would really like someone to take some ownership and responsibility for such a thread. In a more outgoing manner. If people won't promote their own events here, then we go seek the info, while trying to lure them, positively.

;)

So why don't I do it ? My TI time is once again rather sporadic. Caught up in other stuff. I know, excuses, excuses ...

• Like 3

Yes, same for the german meeting in Birkening. Informations and reports are late & rare.

(But I really can understand that there is "another" life next to the TI, as I was in Birkenau too, (my first TI-Meeting)

and I on myself did not have any time afterwards to write or publish anything about, tooo :)

I would have loved to see the event in Evanston live on UStream, if I had known.

(And I have an UStream-Account and know about the TI-streams)

I was sitting here this day observing the facebook-group and AA for any informations arising suddenly, and UStream didn´t came on my mind :)

What about a Skype-Multiuser-Session or anything like that, so that people from outside could talk live to the fair for an hour or so ?

Like an "public hour" (sorry I don´t know the right words in english)

The big mitigation is watching UStream now (works good on my site) :)

no complaints, just thoughts :)

thx

• Like 3

You're right. Maybe the Faire should be spread out over 2 days instead of one. Something to think about for next year, given the number of pending projects currently slated to be completed and presented in 2011.

Either that, or, those that are interested in a second day all chip in independantly of the faire organisers, and just book a conference room somewhere for a second day of pure geekery. A lot of hotels have conference rooms at good rates.

I remember the subject of the fiare being extended to two days came up a few years ago. It was also mentioned to Hal about having two rooms at the library, so that people could watch the presentations, or, if not intereted, go to the geek room and geek out. He was quite resitive to the idea, mainly on cost grounds. He also thought that folk might end up making presentations to empty rooms! Could be a point, depending on the topic being presented!

So, my recommendation would be go the faire as normal, and then have a second day (or the day before) in a conference room for a total hack-fest. Depends on costs, obviously, as it would have to be shared among those attending.

It would certainly tempt me back to Chacago - when you have to fly across the Atlantic, a two day trip is actually better value than a one day trip - it's a pain in the ass flying in, say, on a Friday, faire on Saturday, fly back on Sunday - hardly worth the cost of the hotel and flights. A two day event would be more attractive to me.

• Like 4

I may also be living under a rock, and stay within the confinement / luxury of AtariAge. Even only reading topics of interest, to make room for the TI fun that I like, which is mostly programming games. So lots of stuff around here going under the radar.

I do however wonder why the Faire and other activities around the world are not promoted and covered much more and better here. Photos, videos etc. I mean, if you go through the trouble of traveling thousands of miles, why not go to AtariAge and put up a picture or something.

I think we had a pinned Event thread once, but it just got old and out of date, so we unpinned it. Sadly. Thanks for trying @retroclouds. I would really like someone to take some ownership and responsibility for such a thread. In a more outgoing manner. If people won't promote their own events here, then we go seek the info, while trying to lure them, positively.

;)

So why don't I do it ? My TI time is once again rather sporadic. Caught up in other stuff. I know, excuses, excuses ...

Yep. When I was at the Faire in (I think) 2011 I took my video camera with me and recorded my presentation and some others and put them on YouTube, because I *knew* the UStream thing would be a load of crap. The Ustream connection is hosted on a laptop and webcam, and is connected to the internet via the library wifi, which is totally maxed out. So, the issue, as I remember it, is not bandwidth on the UStream side, it's getting the video and audio to Ustream in the first place via the library wifi. That's why I recorded the presentations on my video camera and uploaded them to YouTube later. Someone needs to do the same at each faire. The Ustream thing aint really cutting it. Not Hal's fault, or anybody elses, just crap bandwith.

• Like 2

Yep. When I was at the Faire in (I think) 2011 I took my video camera with me and recorded my presentation and some others and put them on YouTube, because I *knew* the UStream thing would be a load of crap. The Ustream connection is hosted on a laptop and webcam, and is connected to the internet via the library wifi, which is totally maxed out. So, the issue, as I remember it, is not bandwidth on the UStream side, it's getting the video and audio to Ustream in the first place via the library wifi. That's why I recorded the presentations on my video camera and uploaded them to YouTube later. Someone needs to do the same at each faire. The Ustream thing aint really cutting it. Not Hal's fault, or anybody elses, just crap bandwith.

Yep. The same with the monthly meetings at the library, which are also UStreamed, loosing connection, lagging, freezing, strutter, sudden low voicing, cracks ... Making it somewhat unpleasant to view. Sadly.

Just some weeks ago, when we were in Spain, the strength of signal at the hotel was a bit week, so we used my phone as 4G hotspot. Technically it could run up to 15 Euro a day. And I put on an upper total limit at 60 Euro. Checked in everyday and it was well below. The English men across the hall were rather furious, trying to watch football on their laptop. Allowed them access to my hotspot, and they then figured out how to do it themselves.

Of course 3G and 4G is not good everywhere.

;)

• Like 2

I have committed to working with John (Hal, Jr.) to beef up the video properties for next year's Faire.

As for the empty presentation rooms, right now we are a rather small gathering with very diverse interests. It is highly likely that none of us will be interested in a presentation, or only marginally with distractions. We are adults, though, and can easily make those determinations for ourselves. As well, to be perfectly, fair, not all of us are meant to be presenters -- thus far I have not watched anyone struggle with presenting, but the reality exists nonetheless.

I would like to see more people attracted to attend. A second day may help with that, but it may also stretch CTIUG's resources thin if it takes the lead. Therefor, having a second group attach to a second day for hardware and software wanks, and additional exhibition may be the way to go.

The danger here, however, is a second day detracting from the primary event. But bigger exhibitors may not want to haul stuff from one location to another between days. This would need to be carefully coordinated and some policies put in place to ensure a second day does not become a splinter group.

• Like 1

we are a rather small gathering with very diverse interests. It is highly likely that none of us will be interested in a presentation, or only marginally with distractions.

I was rather surprised that so many folks seemed attentive during my presentation, :sleep: considering there were only a handful of Forthers there. Of course, I have, on occasion, been accused of waking the dead with my voice, :-o which says nothing about content. One thing is for sure, I most assuredly had a wonderful time! :party: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

...lee

• Like 1

I'd be in favor of the first day being normal, and putting on a semi-related second day in a more free-form random access pattern. I'd happy chip in for the room! I can't say for sure, but Hal might even enjoy being able to just attend some stuff and chat with people without having to be the boss... I'd definitely coordinate it with him. :)

I do want to be there for 2016, I think I've missed two in a row now.

• Like 1

I'd be in favor of the first day being normal, and putting on a semi-related second day in a more free-form random access pattern. I'd happy chip in for the room! I can't say for sure, but Hal might even enjoy being able to just attend some stuff and chat with people without having to be the boss... I'd definitely coordinate it with him. :)

I do want to be there for 2016, I think I've missed two in a row now.

I would second that, possibly Friday evening. The Faire this year started late due to technical difficulties and a lot of the presentations were crammed in the last couple of hours. Everybody was pretty tired by then and I think this took a lot of the fun out of it. Personally, I would much prefer to have only a couple of formal presentations, like Berry updating us on the activities of the European groups and some general info, while the bulk of the Faire being a kind of informal show and tell at individual tables.

Definitely something to discuss as we get closer to the 2016 Faire.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to conflict with the socializing Friday evening, or Saturday night either. But a day on Sunday for random access would be great - like a final chance to see the stuff you missed on the tables, to unload extra stuff, to just chat about projects with the project right there. That's what I miss most. :)

• Like 4