IGNORED

800XL Svideo green tinge and blue shadow

NML32

What would cause green tinge and blue shadows in my NTSC Atari 800XL S-Video? On the right side of the screen I can see a green stripe going from the top to the bottom of the screen not visible in photo.

I bought the S-Video cable on eBay that has the resistor built in, works great on my 65XE.

I started following the Super Video 2.1XL and Jon Halliday's Ultra Video XL 1.0.pdf but had to hold off on completing the mod until I can order some parts that my local Radio Shack doesn't stock.

Just curious what may be causing the green tinge and blue shadows in the video?

post-22122-128907922063_thumb.jpg

post-22122-128907923719_thumb.jpg

post-22122-128907949011_thumb.jpg

Edited by NML32

What would cause green tinge and blue shadows in my NTSC Atari 800XL S-Video? On the right side of the screen I can see a green stripe going from the top to the bottom of the screen not visible in photo.

I bought the S-Video cable on eBay that has the resistor built in, works great on my 65XE.

I started following the Super Video 2.1XL and Jon Halliday's Ultra Video XL 1.0.pdf but had to hold off on completing the mod until I can order some parts that my local Radio Shack doesn't stock.

Just curious what may be causing the green tinge and blue shadows in the video?

post-22122-128907922063_thumb.jpg

post-22122-128907923719_thumb.jpg

post-22122-128907949011_thumb.jpg

Try a different color scheme, and definitely turn the color saturation way down on that screen. It will help quite a bit.

That's an artifacting issue and it means you've got Luminance leaking into your Chroma signal. Disconnect the chroma line and see if the video is perfect black & white.

When disconnected the B&W looks fine to me.

It looks like your chroma signal might actually be composite video or you've got luma leaking in from somewhere. Try putting the chroma signal on the luma pin and see if it generates a picture. If it does, then you've got composite on that pin. If it doesn't, then the chroma is only partially mixed with luma.

It looks like your chroma signal might actually be composite video or you've got luma leaking in from somewhere. Try putting the chroma signal on the luma pin and see if it generates a picture. If it does, then you've got composite on that pin. If it doesn't, then the chroma is only partially mixed with luma.

That's a good possibility. The 800Xl does not have a chroma line on the monitor port by default, so if you are using the composite video line as chroma, that could be the issue. Actually, its kind of hard to know exactly what is happening since it sounds like you are part way through a mod.

What has been done so far:

From the UltraVideo XL 1.0.pdf

disconnected the RF modulator by de-soldering the four wires which connect it to the Atari main board.

removed all components linking the luma and chroma signals. I took no chances and whipped out R56, C54, C55, R67 and R68

Step 3. incomplete I only had one 75 ohm resistor so R53 was replaced R66 still original. R116 not replaced I don't have 2.2 ohm resistor

From Super Video 2.1XL

Only thing I did was step 7

install the chrominance pick-off resistor. Select a 100-ohm resistor (brown-black-brown-gold)

Solder the short end of the prepared resistor to the junction of R67-R68 on the foil side of the board. Solder the other end to pin 5 of the monitor jack

This last step I may have misunderstood, I soldered across both holes for R67-R68.

That's an artifacting issue and it means you've got Luminance leaking into your Chroma signal. Disconnect the chroma line and see if the video is perfect black & white.

When disconnected the B&W looks fine to me.

Ok I if I understood you correctly I took what I think to be my chroma signal and touched it to pin 1 (Composite Luminance) and got a very poor color display. I'm picking up my chroma from R67-R68.

post-22122-128915068012_thumb.jpg

Edited by NML32

This last step I may have misunderstood, I soldered across both holes for R67-R68.

you just want to solder to the juction, where R67 and R68 MEET, you should NOT solder a bridge across the holes vacated by the resistors.

I see thanks for clearing that up. I since moved from R67-R68 to R45 and the video seem much better but not perfect.