IGNORED

Disassemble 7800 Joystick?

toymailman

IIRC you have to just pull off the knob (fnar fnar)

Was there supposed to be a Rik Mayall/Ade Edmonson double entendre knob joke in there somewhere?

I need to know this too because recently I somehow managed to break off the post that the bottom screw goes into when I squeezed the controller a little too hard so I need a new top plastic to replace the broken one.

The switches are called "dome" switches. I've seen three types used: 3-legged, 4-legged, and complete circles.

For the CX-40's, I position the cleaned switches (on a cleaned board) with simple scotch tape. Then I seal 'em all in with clear packing tape. Works like new after this! :thumbsup:

I would like to be able to perform this on my 7800 controllers too. I tried pulling the handle off, but it feels like I will break it due to the force that is apparently necessary. Is this really how they come apart?

The switches are called "dome" switches. I've seen three types used: 3-legged, 4-legged, and complete circles.

For the CX-40's, I position the cleaned switches (on a cleaned board) with simple scotch tape. Then I seal 'em all in with clear packing tape. Works like new after this! :thumbsup:

I would like to be able to perform this on my 7800 controllers too. I tried pulling the handle off, but it feels like I will break it due to the force that is apparently necessary. Is this really how they come apart?

There are two screws in the bottom of the stick you remove to gain access to the inside. You shouldn't need to remove the handle from the top portion of the stick to work on the contacts.

Mitch

Thanks for the pics. Do you have any of the tape you used to hold the domes back on? A clear packaging tape? If the domes are rebounding, do you just apply a little pressure on them to bend them back into bouncing status?

I first use a small amount of scotch tape just to hold each of the dome switches in place. Then I cover the whole switch area with clear packing tape. Finally I poke/cut the holes out as needed to reassemble it.

I don't apply any pressure on the dome switches. I just tape them back on.

• 11 years later...

First off I know this thread is 12 yrs old. I have found by far the easiest way to remove the  joystick handle from the 7800 controller so thought I would put it here for future reference for others in the hopes that it will help them out.

1. Get some boiling hot water

2. Put the hot water in a coffee cup about 1.5" - 2" down from the top. Basically so just enough so whole knob is in the water

3. Put the controller handle down in the water the body of controller will span mouth of cup

4. Wait for 2 minutes

5. Put paper towel around handle and wile holding the body of controller pull the handle straight off

The handle should slide off SUPER easily and no damage to the rest of the controller. Handle just pops back on no heating required.