IGNORED

Question regarding screen resolution

Brian O

I am looking to comp up some screens using Photoshop for a game idea I had, and was wondering if there was a standard width and height (in pixels) that should be used. I know there's no accurate translation, since the 2600 leverages scanlines and color clocks, but I have seen 192 x 160 pixels thrown around. If I could use the 192 x 160 resolution, would it be okay to double that while doubling the pixel sizes as well?

Again, these are just for comps, but I want to try and make them as true to life as possible.

Thanks in advance :)

Brian

When I make mockup screens, I normally use 800x576 pixels, and draw each "Atari pixel" using 5x3 paint program pixels. You could also design a screen with 160x192 pixels, then resize it to 500%x300%. This will make the pixels have a pixel aspect ratio that's pretty close to what you see when playing Atari on a TV.

Michael

When I make mockup screens, I normally use 800x576 pixels, and draw each "Atari pixel" using 5x3 paint program pixels. You could also design a screen with 160x192 pixels, then resize it to 500%x300%. This will make the pixels have a pixel aspect ratio that's pretty close to what you see when playing Atari on a TV.

Michael

Thanks, Michael. I've set up a new template that uses your Width, Height, and Pixel sizes. I've attached my template, in case you need it.

-B

post-27802-128927855991_thumb.jpg

Michael

Thanks, Michael. I've set up a new template that uses your Width, Height, and Pixel sizes. I've attached my template, in case you need it.

-B

I also re-created my game screenshot using your measurements. Check it out here.

Thank you! That's actually a better template than the one I've been using. :ponder: My solution was to draw a grid of lines (see attached pic), and then I fill in the cells with the color I want for that pixel-- but then I still have the grid of lines overlaid on the mockup! With your template, you can fill each as desired pixel without having to worry about a grid. (Although sometimes the grid comes in handy, since it makes it easy to identify the individual pixels when there's a bunch of same-colored pixels together in an area.

Michael

post-7456-128935084599_thumb.png

Thank you! That's actually a better template than the one I've been using. :ponder: My solution was to draw a grid of lines (see attached pic), and then I fill in the cells with the color I want for that pixel-- but then I still have the grid of lines overlaid on the mockup! With your template, you can fill each as desired pixel without having to worry about a grid. (Although sometimes the grid comes in handy, since it makes it easy to identify the individual pixels when there's a bunch of same-colored pixels together in an area.

Michael

Anytime! I tried using the grid in Photoshop, but it only allows grid quadrants that are equally sized. So I just created a checkered pattern and applied to the entire screen. The only drawback is that you can snap the pixels to the grid, but I can live without that. Just be careful to fill in big areas. Having too many layers will kill your Photoshop after a while.