IGNORED

I didn't know this commercial existed!

DracIsBack

They picked some of the lamest games to show off in that commercial - way too much face time for Hat Trick. I caught a glimpse of Mario Bros. and Pole Position II but I didn't see some of the standouts like Joust, Asteroids, Centipede, Galaga or Robotron.

Yeah - lots of SUPER HUEY as well. If it was a 1990 commercial, I'm surprised they didn't at least show the then current arcade hits they had like Double Dragon, Rampage, Commando, Ikari Warriors and Kung Fu Master. The print ads Atari US was running certainly were. I'm also surprised they didn't show some of the games with better graphics, seeing as how it was a TV commercial.

I still say this is how they should have done it, but I'm obviously biased. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BfU2WDYj6M

• Like 1

Any kid seeing that would have immediately asked their parents for an NES.

Well, when they got to the part where they said "I want the latest games" I figured that would be when they bought an NES since Nintendo had locked up all the good games.

...and then promptly got disappointed again, since Nintendo horribly butchered all the "good games" and made them an awful, flickery, green brown and vomit pink nightmare.

Any kid seeing that would have immediately asked their parents for an NES.

Alls I know is at 0:23 there they have been playing Hat Trick for 11 seconds and Toronto is already behind 1 to nothing. Certainly makes it one of the most realistic commercials ever. For the game to be that close after a full 11 seconds, I assume the red team is the Bulgarian women's team.

Well, when they got to the part where they said "I want the latest games" I figured that would be when they bought an NES since Nintendo had locked up all the good games.

...and then promptly got disappointed again, since Nintendo horribly butchered all the "good games" and made them an awful, flickery, green brown and vomit pink nightmare.

Hahah, yeah. The 7800 flopped because the NES had bad games. Makes sense.

Hahah, yeah. The 7800 flopped because the NES had bad games. Makes sense.

The 7800 flopped because Atari was broke and spent no money on it, and waited to long to launch it.

The NES was a success because they had virtually no competition and locked up all the 3rd party developers. Just becasue something is successful or popular doesn't mean it's "good".

Case(s) in Point:

Britney Spears.

Toyota.

Microsoft Windows.

The 2010 Miami Heat.