IGNORED

Another Century's Episode R (import)

Gabriel

Has anyone played any of the ACE games?

I was shopping for the Macross Frontier movie Blu Ray and discovered there was a Hybrid Pack which contained both the movie and a new game called Macross Trial Frontier which is something akin to a PS3 version of the PSP Macross Ultimate Frontier game. As I'm adding it to my cart, the store recommended ACE R to me.

I've been aware of the ACE games for some time, but since I don't have an import capable PS2, I filed them away for future reference. This latest (?) PS3 installment has mecha from Gundam Z, Gundam Seed, and Macross Frontier, which is more than what is necessary to get me obscenely interested. Apparrently the series is pretty popular, but watching videos only tells me so much.

For those who don't know, the ACE series is like the action game counterpart of the Super Robot Wars series. Each game features a selection of machines and characters from various mecha anime and tosses them all together into a shared universe storyline.

I don't have any experience with any of the ACE games, but I felt compelled to reply because it's so rare to see discussion of current-gen imports at AtariAge. The Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime Blu-Ray hybrid pack, though, I do have that. In fact, I have a first edition copy. :) Unfortunately, neither game nor movie will play in my PS3, because their firmware requirement wants me to give up my goal of tinkering with Cell programming on my machine.

For what it's worth, 400+ Amazon.co.jp user reviews don't seem to like Another Century's Episode R. Conditions for the title seem bad enough that Amazon.co.jp's price for the game is a 70% discount off retail (FYI, they won't ship video games to the US).

Incidentally, I also have the PSP game Macross Ace Frontier, though not its sequel.

onmode-ky

For what it's worth, 400+ Amazon.co.jp user reviews don't seem to like Another Century's Episode R. Conditions for the title seem bad enough that Amazon.co.jp's price for the game is a 70% discount off retail (FYI, they won't ship video games to the US).

Well, that makes me sad... But I think I'll take those peoples' advice even though I can't read their opinion. At the very worst, I figure it means I'll be putting off acquring it for a while. It's kind of pricey and it will drop in the interrim. I'd hate to pay big money and feel that it kinda sucks.

I'll probably go ahead and order the Macross Frontier movie as I was going to do that anyway. The game is just a pleasant bonus.

I'm just kind of dipping my toes into importing, and it's mostly because the PSP and PS3 so far don't put up any roadblocks to doing so other than the language barrier.