IGNORED

The POS joysticks

Vectrex-Atari

Ok,

I know that the 5200 controlers have problems with the buttons wearing down and not working.

My question is, What happens when the joystick wont work in a certain direction? My nephew has a 5200 and both of this joysticks wont work in a certain direction. Is there a fix for this or are they paper weights now?

Ok,

I know that the 5200 controlers have problems with the buttons wearing down and not working.

My question is, What happens when the joystick wont work in a certain direction? My nephew has a 5200 and both of this joysticks wont work in a certain direction. Is there a fix for this or are they paper weights now?

Could either be a short in the joystick cable itself (40%), or a bad directional potentiometer (10%) or the joystick handle not making contact properly with the potentiometer (50%). Do you know for sure that the console itself is OK? I want to eliminate the possibility of a bad controller port or broken pin.

You'll have to open the joystick up to really know for sure. While it is open, start up a game of Defender and see if you can move the ship "manually" in all directions. That will tell you for sure what the problem is. Check the FAQ to follow the proper disassembly procedure for the controller.

the joystick handle not making contact properly with the potentiometer (50%)....You'll have to open the joystick up to really know for sure...

Most of the time, this is the issue, unless the joystick is in REALLY bad shape.

- VD

Yeah, probably true, that's why I gave it a 50% probability. Those things get roughed up pretty easily!

Also, after a full rebuild, if I have problems with several of the numeric keypad buttons, or anything else, it's usually a short in the cable. Good thing I have a supply of those handy too. :D