IGNORED

Wii Super Mario All Stars coming to USA Dec. 12

Rev

As tempting as it is I just can't pull the trigger on this one. If I still didn't have my NES, SuperNES, and GBA that would be one thing but I already own these games two or three times over. I'm glad Nintendo is keeping the series alive (and in a tangible format) and I hope it introduces a new generation to these classics.

It's lame they used the SNES graphics for the original SMB. It hardly seems it's celbrating 25 years when the star of the hour is a remade version with "improved" graphics. That is, if the screenshots on the link are accurate.

Still, at least it's only $30 which means it'll be less than that soon.

They must be saving SM World and Yoshi's Island for the sequel release, eh? And when will they release the original Donkey Kong on one of their consoles (since NES)?

edit: I'll never chastise any console makers for actually putting a game on a disc, so you can truly OWN it. That will end soon enough, and you'll be able to rent via download until the net goes down.

Edited by wood_jl

If Nintendo had included a few more Mario games this would be a no brainer. Why no Super Mario World? Super Mario RPG? Yoshi's Island? Mario 64? The Genesis collection released a year or so ago and contained over 30 games upgraded to HD graphics for the same price. Granted, none of them are the quality of Super Mario 3, but still.

I am going to get this anyway, mostly for Super Mario 2 and 3 which still hold up very well today. Hopefully there is classic controller support for this. Holding the Wii controller sideways is not nearly as nice as the classic controller.

Aren't all of these games available in their original NES form on the VC?

Anyone know if this is EXACTLY the same as the SNES SMBAllStars?

If so I may cancel my order.

Sounds like it. On the web page linked in the first post it says "Originally released on the SuperNES in 1993"

The enhancements are nice to have but I also like the original NES downloadable versions too, too bad you don't automatically get to download Super Mario All Stars for free when you buy all the games that are on it through the virtual console (NES Lost Levels, SMB, SMB2, SMB3) :(

Edited by Willard

Anyone know if this is EXACTLY the same as the SNES SMBAllStars?

If so I may cancel my order.

Yep, it's exactly the same, unless there are some hidden easter eggs in there that are new to this version (doubtful).

There are a few YouTube videos of the Japanese version online. Check them out.

If these games were completely remade using the NSMB engine and packaged into a full-fledged $50 NEW Mario All-Stars bundle, I think Nintendo would have another million-seller on their hands, easy. I will be curious to know how quickly this repackaged original Mario All-Stars sells out, and if Nintendo decides to make more after the "limited" run is over.

Speaking only for myself, I look at it this way:

1) I don't think All Star's would ever have been released on the VC because they have each of the individual games available for download at $5 each.

2) I don't buy from the VC because of Nintendo's archaic policy regarding transferring your purchases to a new system (i.e. its not allowed), so I wouldn't have bought All Star's even if was made available for download.

3) Having a physical copy is always more preferable than a digital copy to me.

4) I have the SNES cart but being able to play the game without digging out and hooking up another system is worth a certain amount of money in convenience to me.

5) $30 for the games, book, soundtrack, and packaging is a good price point for me.

6) I'll get as much... probably much more..... game time out of it at half the price than I do/did of the many $60 games I've bought.

To me its a great deal and a must buy. If its not the same to someone else, that's cool.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

I'll scoop this up when the local store gets it. Hey, yeah, I have all the original NES games, but that didn't stop me from getting SMAS for the SNES when it came out....twice (there is a version with Super Mario World built in)

Hey, it's my favorite series of games from yesteryear, so if you don't like it, that's cool, but I'm getting mine anyways :P

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I shouldnt have cancelled....

hmmm....

I don't think it's really going to matter--there will probably be plenty to go around on launch day if you change your mind.. And of course, through GameStop, you can pre-order it again right up to the very last minute anyway.

• 2 weeks later...