IGNORED

DEAD DC!!!

Gunstar

I've owned 6 dreamcasts in the past.....   and only 1 of them didn't work right. It wouldn't load the game.... just sit there and or say Please Insert Game Disc... I'm like, WTF?

So... turned off the unit, move the cd mech all the way up , back down all the way, and then back all the way up (click out and back in) and then turn it on with a game... seemed to work fine afterwards...

I'm not sure what the hell the deal behind that was, but it's been working ever since....

I play the hell out of my dreamcast, far from junk hardware and more reliable then you think! I hear a lot of people always say they have had problems with their Jag CD's too, not me! And let me tell you, I put some serious play into that thing! :)  VLM LIVE! :)

Oh, and collecting for a CD based system! That I'm doing now! I assure you my collection is in GREAT condition! (and I still play the games!)

Just a matter of how much you look after your games... if you have kids might as well give it up or lock'em up (the games that is)

and if you collect for the Jag CD it shouldnt' take you too long to complete it haha!

;-)

However the DC may be the only system I ever have a complete CD collection for!  (Most the games are good :)

Clint Thompson

:P

YeP! I have a JagCD and a 3DO and Saturn that I've had for years and they get played HEAVILY, especially my Jagcd with the VLM, the only thing I play my music cd's on, and they have all worked flawlessly since '95. The DC that broke was one I picked up used, and it looked like it wan't cared for too well (spilt soda inside, etc.), so I'm really not suprised that it bit the big one, although I do believe it to be from a power surge anyway...

I'll have working cd systems as long as I have my cartridge based ones...though I will buy back-up units at some point just in case and for parts. The only other machine I've had problems with is my PSX, also given to me WELL used, because it didn't work for the former owner, although they obviously never tried standing it up on end, which I have, and it's worked fine like that for about a year now. I think in it's case it was just a matter of the drive mechanism motor wearing out, and I'll replace it when it finally dies for good. Those are VERY common parts, I could even rig a motor from a remote control car or something to work. I think the newer units will be collected just like the cart based consoles of yesteryear, but maybe only by those who know how to maintain them. They will probably be much more rare due to people not knowing how to maitain and repair just throwing them away. It's a shame too. :sad:

You can add in extrenous data to fill the disk and make it so the DC does not have to search through all the blank space each time.

Yes, that makes a BIG difference.......when you burn really small ISOs like the emulators, all your stuff is on the center of the disc in the "small diameter rings", to read the data, the DC has to spin many many many more times to read the data as opposed to when it is on the "outer diameter" ring of the disc, in one spin on the outer ring it can read ALOT more and the same data may take 4 spins on the inner ring......

not that I would know by any firsthand experience about various ISOs and "padding" the disc :evil:

:)

The Dreamcast was my first CD-based system. And the effect of having my perfectly cared for DC start to malfunction for no apparent reason will be to turn me off from buying another CD based game system - and since all game consoles for the forseeable future are going to be CD-based, that means no more new game consoles for me.

Good thing I have all my Ataris - and to a lesser degree my PC - to keep me occupied.