IGNORED

TE2 Speech (Classic99)

unhuman

Trying to use speech ... I do

10 OPEN #1:"SPEECH",OUTPUT

20 PRINT #1:"THIS DOES NOT WORK"

And I hear nothing.

Something I'm missing? Thanks!

Err - Guess I'm an idiot, but with Classic99, it's pretty unusable... My issue was I started Classic99 directly (w/o it knowing where it's installed) so that it just ignored speech. Using it with XB is fine, but TE 2 is not really understandable. Gotta try MESS.

-H

Err - Guess I'm an idiot, but with Classic99, it's pretty unusable... My issue was I started Classic99 directly (w/o it knowing where it's installed) so that it just ignored speech. Using it with XB is fine, but TE 2 is not really understandable. Gotta try MESS.

I think I tested this in MESS once, and it's a little garbled there too... the problem being that none of the current emulators have the EXACT speech core that is in the TI speech synthesizer.

I thought about using the cartridge for Aperture, so I could have the main computer taunt you after each level, but I'd have to go back to original iron for testing, and all those speech lines would eat up memory I could use for interesting test chambers.

TI-Trek has TE2 speech, and you usually just ended up going without after the novelty wore off.

Adamantyr

TE2 speech is listed on the Classic99 download page as not working. The issue is that it floods the synth with speech data and expects the CPU to be halted when the FIFOs are full, which Classic99 doesn't do correctly. XB works because it's a speak internal command and the speech ROMs don't rely on timing issues against the CPU. Parsec works because it honors the FIFO status bits in the synth and doesn't overload it. :)

That issue I will eventually solve when I have time to redo the timing system (as part of the VDP update). The incorrect speech core though I probably won't ever solve.

I think I already brought up this topic some months ago, in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/155206-emulation-problems/page__fromsearch__1

Thanks for pointing this out. I'd like to try your 5200 coding table with QBOX.

Is the one attached to the above thread the most recent one you worked on?

I think I already brought up this topic some months ago, in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/155206-emulation-problems/page__fromsearch__1

Thanks for pointing this out. I'd like to try your 5200 coding table with QBOX.

Is the one attached to the above thread the most recent one you worked on?

Yes, the one I attached to my last post in the thread referenced above is the most recent one.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a little update here... just got word from Jonathan Gevaryahu that M.E.S.S. is now using the correct coding table for the TMS5200 (not mine, it has been dumped from the chip itself). TE2 output may still be garbled (didn't try that one yet), but for instance Parsec now sounds much closer to the original. It's still not perfect, however, since M.E.S.S. has the chip running at 680 kHz instead of the correct 640 kHz, and also introduces a lot of sampling noise which the original TI-99 doesn't have.