IGNORED

Buying used Indus GT's

Bryan

I've noticed a couple things about the Indus GT.

1. The smoked front cover will twist over time if the drive is stored with the cover closed. This is because there is a fairly strong spring on the right hinge which is always trying to pull that side open. So, always store the drive with the cover open, and if you do end up with a twisted one it can be restored with a gradual process of heating and twisting by hand. I've successfully used a heat gun (on 'low') to heat up the cover until it's quite warm to the touch and then twisting it back into shape and then repeating until it stays. This is much easier to do if the cover has been removed, but minor fixes can be done in place.

A long-term solution would be to put two weaker springs in, one on each side.

2. If an Indus is on ebay and the pictures aren't great, there's some damage being hidden. I've bought a few of these over the past two years and every time I thought I'd gotten a bargain there turned out to be something the seller didn't show. I can't say 100% if it's intentional, but don't expect a blurry picture taken mostly from the side to be of a drive in perfect cosmetic shape.

Lastly, there are a some of these that don't use the Tandon TM-50 drive and don't have the truncated rotating latch. Does anyone know if this the first or 2nd mechanism choice?