IGNORED

Curious about the history of an item

JohnBuell

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1304549781031?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130454978103&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I had NEVER seen an Atari-branded CD-ROM until I came across that a couple nights ago. Way too rich for my blood, I didn't bid at all. But I'm just curious if there's anything else known about these drives and why Atari never went the CD-ROM route after promoting it so heavily in the mid-late 1980s.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1304549781031?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130454978103&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I had NEVER seen an Atari-branded CD-ROM until I came across that a couple nights ago. Way too rich for my blood, I didn't bid at all. But I'm just curious if there's anything else known about these drives and why Atari never went the CD-ROM route after promoting it so heavily in the mid-late 1980s.

Just like the listing said. Limited production run for devs to use before regular production started, which it never did. New discoveries of vaporware from Atari don't surprise me in the least anymore. I do remember reading about the CD-ROM drive back when it was originally going to be sold, though.

Just like the listing said. Limited production run for devs to use before regular production started, which it never did. New discoveries of vaporware from Atari don't surprise me in the least anymore. I do remember reading about the CD-ROM drive back when it was originally going to be sold, though.

Ah, but do any still exist in North America? I noticed this one was configured for 240V.

The CDAR-504 was sold in Canada for a little while before 3rd party drives pretty much killed it. The 3rd party drives were faster and cheaper than the Atari drive. In fact, one dealer (Computer Rock in San Francisco) actually advertised it and imported them from Canada. I was lucky to get one myself from someone who was leaving the Atari scene. :)

• Like 1