IGNORED

Porting GRADIUS from Gameboy

José Pereira

Just better start a new Topic with my working progress.

Start to change the Enemy's Sprite from 4x2Chars into 3x2Chars.

Just look at the colours "beauty" of the Enemy on the top near the Backgr. Gfxs.

And it's just PFs:

post-6517-129061449458_thumb.png

Greets.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

Which Gradius game is this supposed to be anyway? There's like a dozen of them.

And which Gameboy, Advance or Colour?

Hi.

I am turning from Gameboy, normal first one 4colours.

NEMESIS/GRADIUS is the first (have this two Names, for example on C64)

GRADIUS II_Interstellar Assault is only on Gameboy.

I have the complete Map from II but it's not difficult to get also from I.

I get some Chars from the Levels and see that I could have space for SoftSprites in the same way I am doing on another scrolling Game (in progress, I hope...).

It can be done in just 3Charsets for the Playing Area and one more for the Status Area. This is a very good only 4Kb.

It will certainly not be an exact copy/port as probably we cannot have, sometimes, as many Enemys as Gameboy, probably.

What I am/intend to do is having all possible Enemy Sprites I can get from many Gradius (I,II,III,...) and turn them into 2:1 A8 SoftSprites Chars.

For the Game Maps I also intend to get the II 6Levels but also the I.

Get all the Chars into the 3Charsets and that it...

If a coder comes, we would have a Multi-Load or a MegaCartridge.

Then it will be up to the coder to put the Enemys and try to get their movements similar if possible or design new types of Attacking Waves/Number of Enemys on Screen...

By now it's just shapes and Char ripping... let's wait and see :arrow:

Greets.

José Pereira.

i found the gfx stretched... have you looked into C64 stuff or if there is a plus/4 version?

C64 version is out of question, you cannot use anything of it!

It's a totally disaster: Gfxs, Sprites,... all!

The Gfxs. will look good and they are 100% directly ported 1:1 into 2:1.

It will not look good if you get an 8x8 Hi-Resol. Char into ours 4x8 2:1. You would loose all the beauty and details of the Backgr. Gfxs.

The only thing I am still not yet decided in I will turn directly the 16pixels wide Enemy Sprites into ours 4Chars or if it will look better/have more cycles free into 12pixels.

This is possible and 4pixels out will not get many diferences, but a lot of work.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

i found the gfx stretched... have you looked into C64 stuff or if there is a plus/4 version?

You really think so José ? I thought it would have been a good start point..

One thing it does have in favour of what you want to do is that a lot of enemys are drawn in characters anyway.. Look right at the start (about 20seconds on this video) and they're not even software sprites, just character based object moving on character boundaries.. There's not a lot of hardware sprites in use on the 64 version at all..

Personally I think this is one game that would work quite well actually..

edit: And also, even with Salamander it's pretty much the same situation..

These are both games the A8 could pull of pretty succesfully if you ask me, but you didn't, so I'll shut up ;)

Edited by andym00

yeah. I know... that's why I thought the c64 version should be a good start . where are hardware sprites used? Bosses? satelites?

Think it mixes and matches throughout.. Some aliens are chars, the high speed ones, other sprites.. But the players ship and the players multiples are sprites.. All the bullets are chars though..

Though it only ever plots "character sprites" over parts of the background where there's no level characters, so it can change the attributes to give them more colour.. Except in the explosions which it looks a bit dodgy on..

Salamander uses character for bosses, and then uses the sprites on top for things like the arms etc.. Look at 3.20 on the salamander video to see an example.. And other times swaps it around, the boss as sprites, with arms as characters.. See 5.10 for that way round..

You really think so José ? I thought it would have been a good start point..

One thing it does have in favour of what you want to do is that a lot of enemys are drawn in characters anyway.. Look right at the start (about 20seconds on this video) and they're not even software sprites, just character based object moving on character boundaries.. There's not a lot of hardware sprites in use on the 64 version at all..

Personally I think this is one game that would work quite well actually..

These are both games the A8 could pull of pretty succesfully if you ask me, but you didn't, so I'll shut up ;)

O.k. some of the C64 Enemys can be used, but don't say me that you like, or think the Backgr. Gfxs. have anything to do with the Arcade/Gameboy,... Game!...

O.k. I get a little bit backwards and I can use some of the C64 Sprites, but the Backgr. gfs are totaççy ou of question.

Want to ear anyone here saying that would like to get this Gfxs. in the A8 version ;)

And the first Enemys are Chars, yes they are but nostly are Sprites, like on other C64 Games.

Here are the all the Sprites from the C64 Level1 (including our Ship and all it's Weapons "add-ons"):

C64 Level1_All Sprites.zip

And you're saying that there aren't many HardwareSprites...

José Pereira.

Only the Ground/Rocks and shoots, all the other are HardwareSprites:

post-6517-129069233695_thumb.gifpost-6517-129069234958_thumb.gif

I have Years of seeing this Images and still don't see how to get this into A8 without beeing like a 4colour Zybex.

(my PF2&PF3 idea in Gradius and/or others doesn't even be possible here...)

You say I didn't ask, o.k.... now I ask:

"How will you turn this into A8?"

Greets.

José Pereira.

P.s.- Even the Top score are two Hi-Resolution C64 Sprites.

Edited by José Pereira

even the sprites are 12 pixel wide it does not indicate that it is used as hardware sprite...

Karol I don't even need to use the Sprite Ripper here.

It's simple to see:

C64 ColourMap, and it's White colour more the other two Blues.

If the Enemys would be Chars/SoftSprites it were the White that would be changed.

More, the different colour the Enemys have is DarkGray. DarkGray cannot (nor the other two C64 Grays) be used in ColourMap because it isn't from the first eight C64 colour Pallete ones.

And more, if they were Chars/SoftSprites that couldn't be in the same Char cell as the Background.

And even more, this is CharMode, even if it was BitMap Multicolour the C64 fetches into Chars and you would get clashes with the Background.

José Pereira.

Ah! And just this one more:

The Hi-Resolution Score Numbers are Hardware Sprites, just static over the Background Gfxs

If they weren't how would you mix on the same Char Hi and Middle resolutions?

And the Scroll, replace the Background 2:1 Gfxs. constantly to get the Numbers?

José Pereira.

Don't necessarily trust the colours you see.

3 playfield colours are set by register and can be anything, it's only one colour which is restricted to the lower 8.

Yes, but the changed colour on Enemys is Dark Gray and this one isn't for sure in the first eight C64 Pallete colours.

And you still have the clash over the Backgr. gfxs.

But more than "if it is or not C64 Hardware Sprites" is how will you get this into A8...

HOW?

I had some tries about an underlay PM2&3 on Armalyte. It's possible to get something.

Have large PM2&3 (quadruple size) masked behind Black (PF0).

Get all related to our Ship as PM0&1.

Possible? It is... But 8,9,10,...C64 sized SoftSprites and cycles to get this?

In Armalyte I saw that mostly of the Attacking Waves could be achieved using this:

(for all the Game Levels)

PF0-Black

PF1-White

PF2&Backgr.- 2 colours of the Ground (other is White)

SHOOTS: White.

GROUND WEAPONS: PF1, Backgr., PF3

ENEMYS: combination of (without clashes):

1.)-Like Ground Cannons

2.)-PF1,PM2&3,Ored PF2

3.)-PF1,PM2&3,Ored PF3

(possible, just the coder have to know very well where the Attacking Waves move and not to cross some "clash zones")

But the cycles? Oh my, Oh the cycles :sad: ?

José Pereira.