IGNORED

Coleco Gemini question.

church

I like the looks of the gemini, to me it looks sleek and stylish. Having the controller ports is a bonus, that extra 30 cm's or so helps to get the controller to my couch. Though after doing some reading the word cheap comes up quite often. Is it that the console was inexpensive to make or is the quality of it cheap? Also are the gemini controllers comfy or do they feel bulky and awkward?

The Coleco Gemini, which I actually owned, was pretty functional when I had it, but unfortunately it didn't last past the few months it was being used as a game system when I was down in Fall River at St. Vincent's back in 1985. The controllers were also just as functional, and were comfortable to use. That's all I can say about it.

To be honest, the Gemini is very sleek looking -- compact like the 2600 Jr, but slightly less wedge-shaped (more blunted edges). It is a bit of a cheap construction, though; it's light, and made out of the same plastic the Jr. was made from, but without the nice aluminum trim (except around the switches).

Ergonomically, the controllers are very comfortable. They fit nicely in the hand, much like the Colecovision controllers, only smaller, and the embedded paddles were a nice touch. Unfortunately there are two things that keep the controllers from being good. First, the joysticks themselves are solid, serrated plastic with absolutely no rubberization or rubber molding for comfort, and while they're responsive, requiring much less pressure than the ubiquitous Atari joysticks did (probably due in part to the lack of a rubber molding allowing more freedom of movement), the serration around the stick will chafe your skin in short order, especially during some heated play. I suppose the serration was intended for grip, but rubberization or some kind of molding would have improved comfort tremendously. Second, the paddles don't seem to last long and wil begin to suffer from jitter much sooner than Atari's paddles.

The Gemini is also known to suffer some compatibility issues with certain games. (Mostly, I think, those games that use oddball bank switching methods)

When I owned one way back when, I slipped 1" electical boots around each stick. They wont slip off, and keeps the chafing to a minimum.

Note about the joysicks....

These use the same type of connection that is inside Atari's paddles, a flat springy metal brush for each direction. Once in a while, these may require cleaning where the brushes touch the board.

The Gemini is also known to suffer some compatibility issues with certain games.  (Mostly, I think, those games that use oddball bank switching methods)

AFAIK the Gemini doesn't like Thrust too. But not because of bankswitching but of TIA timing problems. :idea: