IGNORED

Intellivision ECS module

the-topdog

After locating an OEM power supply, I was toying with my loose ECS and thought it was a passable computer when compared to the low end 8-bit market computers like the Timex Sinclair TS1000. I was sufficiently impressed enough to purchase a CIB one to make it a permanent part of my collection. The keys on the keyboard remind me a lot of the Aquarius keyboard. I do like the complementary design of the unit when hooked up to an Intellivision II.

Has anyone else played around much with an ECS? What are your opinions of the usability?

I put my loose ECS up for sale in the marketplace if anyone wants to experience this little computer converter with their Intellivision.

The Intellivision ECS was my first "computer", before my Apple IIe. Basic language programming was pretty simple on it. The major problem was that it only had 2k of programmable memory, (the ECS memory itself), and you could not use the 8k of the Intellivision unit.

Even the basic commands I remember were shortened. For example PRINT, was PRIN, I believe, haha. On the plus side you could pull sprites out of cartridges and animate them in your own game or program. It was a lot of fun to learn Basic language on the ECS. This prepared me for my Apple IIe.

Assuming you received the manual with your ECS, you should be able to toy around with Basic language a little bit.

My favorite games for the ECS were World Series Baseball, the best baseball game of that time, and Mindstrike, which was maybe my fav Intellivision game of all time.