IGNORED

dreaming again of a TRON arcade conversion...

lucifershalo

Indeed, the lack of the spinner is a major issue. The spider and MCP tower sequences wouldn't be too bad -- just fire in the direction you're moving, like Berzerk -- but the tank sequence, which relies on precise bank shots and firing in directions other than where you're going, would need to have its gameplay basically redesigned.

There was a third part controller the Prostick III for the ColecoVision that used a passthrough cable for the controller so you could still access the number buttons. Couldn't a passthrough setup work for a driving controller or set of paddles so that you could have both hooked up at the same time? I don't know how either the paddles or the driving controller work but I assume there would be an issue with them competing for movement...

Taiwan game association

presents

TUWON

including

disc thowing

Aim See Pee

Tenck

Lite Scycle

Es Pyders

LOL

Maybe it could work like 5200 Countermeasure? One button Fires and the other aims the turret (just a suggestion)

*runs and hides*

Perhaps a Bally arcade controller! I have a few of those.

Writing it for the expansion module would really make it good.

I don't want to hate but I could never get into the tron games. The arcade one was cool and I guess the 7800 could pull off that level of gameplay but all the tron games on Atari and mattellivision and all of those things just never really felt right to me. It still had that feel of "hey buy this game cause it says disney tron on it" rather than being a really good game like Yar or Super Breakout. But I'm all for a trong game on 7800 if it would be fun to play! :thumbsup:

Since the XM unit cannot play games by itself, saying that a game made for use on the 7800 with an XM unit is not a 7800 game is not accurate. So, if anyone wants to write a Tron game for the 7800 and they wish to take advantage of the feature of the XM unit, more power to them.

• Like 2

Since the XM unit cannot play games by itself, saying that a game made for use on the 7800 with an XM unit is not a 7800 game is not accurate. So, if anyone wants to write a Tron game for the 7800 and they wish to take advantage of the feature of the XM unit, more power to them.

Well, Sega "32x" games can't be played on a Genesis without a 32x, and they're pretty much called "32x games." But yeah, I applaud those who are/will be making games for the 7800XM. Interesting, to say the least!

Exactly.

Since the XM unit cannot play games by itself, saying that a game made for use on the 7800 with an XM unit is not a 7800 game is not accurate.

Since games made for the XM unit cannot play on a 7800 by itself, saying that a game made for use on the 7800 with an XM unit is not a 7800 game is completely accurate.

I don't understand all the 7800XM killjoys. There is a long history of video game peripherals meant to expand a system that lead to games that are not playable (or playable with all features) w/o the expansion. I presume we all know this. Supercharger, Intellivoice, the Voice, Adam, 32X, Jag CD, and I am sure many, many others I am forgetting about. Not to mention, Curt and team decided to go very conservative and include only features that were possible back in the time after the 7800 was released. I don't know all the details, but from what I have read there was even debate as to whether or not to include the Yamaha sound chip- but since it was around in 80's arcade machines- it got the go ahead. The 7800XM even uses the casing as designed for expanding the 7800 (high scores or keyboard? whatever...) way back then. Seriously. I mean, how much more Atari and period specific can it be?? :roll:

As said already, you don't have to buy it if you really don't want to support it- but let's not discourage game development for it... :D

Edited by Tubular Gearhead
  • Like 1