IGNORED

Legends I tips?

Opry99er

Well, you can always do the old trick of adding in some cheats in XB yourself!

Just exit out of the town game and find in the listing where you, for example, rest at the inn. Then have it add a bunch to your party members XP and gold when you rest. That is the easiest way to reclaim some lost gains.

Dude... That is cheating. LOL!!!

If there were some way to legitimately protect and hide the listing of my game, I would do it. LOL!!! Other than just putting out an all-assembly object-code only, I can't do that. Dang XB and all these new tools!

Yea, you can disable BREAK and protect it, but it doesn't matter with TI99Dir these days. :)

Adam is going to beat LoBR in an hour, just watch. :)

Maybe it isn't cheating, I don't know... But it sure seems that way to me. :)

Legends is a good game. I may use max stats MP and do a cheap walkthrough on a video one of these days.

If you guys haven't tried Old Dark Cave, you should give it a go. Another good offering from Don Granros.

• Like 1

I don't consider it cheating in a game that expects me to spend several DOZEN hours fighting random monsters for miniscule gains before I can finish it. In all fairness, I HAVE won Legends legitimately, but it's not easy.

It would be interesting to play the game over and blog it... although the CRPG Addict is going to play it at some point as well. I doubt he will dedicate more than a single blog entry to it, though.

• 1 month later...

After many hours of thrashing my way upwards in Legends back when it was a current offering in the TI catalogs, I tired of idly tapping the 1 key to hit yet another monster and that's when I began hacking the program.

It was all great till I moved it to emulation on my old Macs. MacV9T9 and the DOS version both do not properly handle large Program files that have grown to become Int/Var 254. Large programs like these can't be saved back to disk after editing them in MacV9T9. You can edit and run them in the current session, but that requires breaking into the program while it's running and then continuing. Which really doesn't work when the programs get loaded and reloaded during a gaming session.

Another fatal emulator error was with saving the PDATA file. That would get corrupted because it too was in INT/Var 254 format. It would show in a TI directory as a program file and data would be lost when saving it. I could load an old Pdata file, but couldn't save it after a session without corrupting it. Took a long time (years) to figure that one out!

I just recently worked around the problems and have my old super team back in action. One change was to make the PDATA file into INT/FIX 254 so it did not run into the program-filetype snafu. I used V9T9j on my wife's Mac to edit the various large programs and port them back to my PPC macs for testing.

I think I went way beyond the hacks others have done. For the dungeons, pressing Q to call up the menu then exiting resets most of the screen graphics so you can see where all the traps, monsters, hidden doors and treasures are! I also changed a lot of stuff in the Generate and Island programs. My party's level and HP/MP is so high, there's no room to display the actual number and I had to change the program where it decides how many hits each player gets per turn, since my team is at level 115 or so and the original listing couldn't handle that big a number, heh heh! My team needs no firestorm spells, 6 or 8 of any breed of monster are usually dispatched in a turn or two just using hits. A Firestorm 1 might smite a foe with 100-300 hits!

I streamlined many of the inputs in Generate to run faster or take fewer key clicks and added a variable to Island and the dungeons to control how long text messages are displayed. The Create a new team option has been enhanced as well. In the Island program, where you can choose to save and quit, I added choices to take you back to the Island or head off to the guild. There's other hacks too, but this is a sampling of my "version" of Legends.

If you're tired of swatting flies and Dark Knights and just want to explore uninterrupted, here's an easy hack for the Island program.

-Ed

post-38786-0-82632300-1433049685.jpg

Edited by Ed in SoDak