IGNORED

7800 Expansion Module (XM) hardware & game details - 7/8/2016

Lendorien

I've been considering getting a BASIC interpreter up on the 78 myself, though I'll prolly need help with the DOS aspect and some other things.

ETA: I ported a BASIC interpreter to the Apple ][+ because I wanted something better than FPBASIC. I can at least do that.

Edited by The Usotsuki

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ya dont have to pay double. they have enough parts to make lots more. just wait after they are released and get in second batch.

Ah nice, I assumed this was a one time thing and I was kicking myself for not finding out about it sooner. Thats great to know, heh I don't *really* want to pay $300 but if thats what it took to get one I would, I know the homebrew for it is going to be pretty awesome.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the stereo/surround mod for all retro consoles you'll get stereo surround sound without any change on existing software. As it is combined with AV mod (an excellent one near S-Video and RGB in the future) you'll get better sound and video for about $30.

Consoles with that mod are already sold at ebay including all sorts of 2600, 7800, XEGS, coleco and intellivision game systems.

Not sure if it make sense to extend an old system with new functions requiring new software to use it. Specially as the number of developers for the 7800 are limited not expecting too much software and a split in target market. Amiga never survived the hardware fractioning due to system enhancements not compatible with the rest of the fans.

In comparison with the stereo/surround demo video for coleco vision on youtube the above audio output for Donkey Kong sounds not really better. May be I should create an Atari 7800 demo video as well for the stereo/surround sound using Donkey Kong as reference ;-)

Edited by retromod

With the stereo/surround mod for all retro consoles you'll get stereo surround sound without any change on existing software. As it is combined with AV mod (an excellent one near S-Video and RGB in the future) you'll get better sound and video for about $30.

Consoles with that mod are already sold at ebay including all sorts of 2600, 7800, XEGS, coleco and intellivision game systems.

Not sure if it make sense to extend an old system with new functions requiring new software to use it. Specially as the number of developers for the 7800 are limited not expecting too much software and a split in target market. Amiga never survived the hardware fractioning due to system enhancements not compatible with the rest of the fans.

In comparison with the stereo/surround demo video for coleco vision on youtube the above audio output for Donkey Kong sounds not really better. May be I should create an Atari 7800 demo video as well for the stereo/surround sound using Donkey Kong as reference ;-)

Wow, retromod. You have certainly 'covered' many different forums on this site promoting the stereo/surround mod. In such a very short span of time you have a couple in this 7800 forum alone. Some may see such 'coverage' as spam:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220614-atari-7800-real-stereo-surround-mod/?view=findpost&p=2902142

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220616-intellivision-stereosurround-mod/?view=findpost&p=2902185

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220612-real-stereosurround-for-ataricolecointellivision-consoles-on-palntsc/?view=findpost&p=2902118

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220257-help-with-5v-colecovision-mod-rev-c/?view=findpost&p=2902198

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220578-modded-colecovision-with-all-mods/?view=findpost&p=2902177

Negative comments about Yurkie's ColecoVision mod as well...Really? Undoubtedly, you are enthusiastic about your product, to say the least.

It's particularly funny that you have a notion of what a ColecoVision mod "should also include":

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220578-modded-colecovision-with-all-mods/?do=findComment&comment=2902190

"A full modded coleco should also include:

backlight mod

power led mod

internal power supply mod

RGB mod instead of AV

stereo/surround audio mod"

In your excitement of this homebrew hardware, is it really necessary to try and promote the stereo/surround mod product while also tearing down the (homebrew) hardware efforts of others?

As mentioned in other places, developers, for software and hardware, will decide for themselves where they, and for what they wish to, create.

Hi Trebor,

thanks. It was not my intension to trash someone sorry for that or telling mine is better than others. It was only that $249 dollar sounds quite high for limited mods. Specially as there are other mods available which are not included not only offered by me.

In europe we would sent our laywers to competitors if they tell customers something which is not true ;-)

As each entry is for each system it is far away from spam it is only the problem that I post it at once and not every month one progress. You can not buy anything yet except modded consoles so there is no "business" expectation behind. As others promote their stuff and expect real business (like some coleco offers ;-) ) it is quite fair if I tell people there is something "new" by the above threads. The coleco post btw. was posted in "marketplace" so it is not really homebrew hardware it is more a business offer specially as he offers mods on regular base he acts as a company (if european tax laws are taken). this is the big diffference.

Expect more products as RGB mod is currently in development and I hope the stereo/surround is available by local dealers as it really makes the difference in arcade feeling (oh no more advertising ;-) )

the XM extension is great but from retro point of view it may fail as it requires NEW software. new software and extended functionality is a problem because as seen in history it splits your system into different groups. One the majority who has only the "old" standard system and a few using the "new" one. So guess how attractive it is for developers to develop for one of these groups. In sum the XM extension offers something which has no benefit for old installed base. This is also outlined in several posts and threads. There is a missing "killer feature" so old games benefit from the extension, too. The dual pokey is such an extension with in collector or retro-fan circle is not really loved. Developers can ensure to develop for the whole community and not loosing focus in serving single one. See the Amiga and Atari ST history of extensions - that demonstrates how you can ruin system. An amiga or atari st is sold for about $5 in ebay..... that tells much.

The donkey kong demo sound great for an Atari 7800 but is it worth spending nearly $120 and waiting until your favorite game is modified to benefit from the extension iff you are able to simple install a mod having all your beloved titles in Stereo/Surround even without modification?

I'll guess you think twice about it. And this was my opinion from the beginning years ago I've heared about the XM extension.

Edited by retromod

In europe we would sent our laywers to competitors if they tell customers something which is not true ;-)

In America we have something called defamation of character. ;)

What you are doing, even with your last response, is not good for your reputation or business including promotion of product.

All of this that you edit/added:

the XM extension is great but from retro point of view it may fail as it requires NEW software. new software and extended functionality is a problem because as seen in history it splits your system into different groups. One the majority who has only the "old" standard system and a few using the "new" one. So guess how attractive it is for developers to develop for one of these groups. In sum the XM extension offers something which has no benefit for old installed base. This is also outlined in several posts and threads. There is a missing "killer feature" so old games benefit from the extension, too. The dual pokey is such an extension with in collector or retro-fan circle is not really loved. Developers can ensure to develop for the whole community and not loosing focus in serving single one. See the Amiga and Atari ST history of extensions - that demonstrates how you can ruin system. An amiga or atari st is sold for about $5 in ebay..... that tells much.

The donkey kong demo sound great for an Atari 7800 but is it worth spending nearly $120 and waiting until your favorite game is modified to benefit from the extension iff you are able to simple install a mod having all your beloved titles in Stereo/Surround even without modification?

I'll guess you think twice about it. And this was my opinion from the beginning years ago I've heared about the XM extension.

The real purpose is to make this point:

The donkey kong demo sound great for an Atari 7800 but is it worth spending nearly $120 and waiting until your favorite game is modified to benefit from the extension iff you are able to simple install a [my] mod having all your beloved titles in Stereo/Surround even without modification.

Your point and intension is well understood; logic, not so much. :ponder:

• Like 3

Ok it seems you do not know the technical difference. The xm can not be at any time in stereo as it feeds only mono into the console. The mod i have created modulates the monosignal inside the console and creates real stereo and surround improving the single audio as well by changing and adding tones.

So your interpretion is not true. The only benefit without xm is the better sound so it sounds similar to the xm. The highscore card, pokey, memory etc is not covered. I ve checked the donkey kong demo and it sounds really similar with old sound chip. Sure you have more possibilities with the xm chips but that requires new software as dual pokey for xl requires. I own one and can not use it as all the titles played are unmodified.

Could it be we hit the barrier of non native english speakers? Because your answer regarding blaming indicates some wrong interpretation. I know curt from several mail threads and discussion about projects , sent him some rare stuff for the upcoming book. I wish him all the best, too.

And as told there is no business intension else i would post prices, offering components.