IGNORED

Hyper-XF

walter_J64bit

Well, CharlieChaplin knows his Hyper-Xf-OS.

Well,

some addendum or correction to the information posted before. The Hyper-Xf-OS has the following modes:

A, B, C, D = partition mode for partitions A, B, C, D (only partitions A, B with a 5,25" drive)

M = multi partition mode A+B+C+D (only partitions A+B with a 5,25" drive), meaning if you have a DOS or program (let`s say AR The City or AR The Dungeon) that supports more than one drive, partition A will act as D1, partition B as D2, partition C as D3 and partition D as D4 - depending on the dip-switches of your drive of course (if the switches are set to D1, then ABCD will act as D1-D4, if the switches are set to D2 then ABCD will act as D2-D5, etc.)

F = format-check multi partition: same as mode M, but whenever the drive accesses a new/different partition, it will check the density first (useful for mixed-density partitions)...

X = XF standard partition format, meaning now double-sided operation (up to 360k with a 5,25" drive, up to 720k with a 3,5" drive) is also possible; this mode supports the same densities or formats as a standard XF551-OS (for 40 tracks or 80 tracks)

S = ST/PC mode, was originally made to read 360k and/or 720k ST/PC diskettes, but due to lack of software maybe not possible right now... (I guess, since I have not checked the IBMREAD program by Bob Puff nor the RD360k and WR360k programs from poland with the Hyper-Xf-OS; maybe these programs that were written for a XF551 will also work fine with a Hyper-XF - I found these programs just some months after I had already sold my Hyper-XF...)

greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

Well,

it is the same as with all speeders or drive enhancements out there (including Happy, Speedy, US-Doubler, etc.): You will require software that supports the Hyper-XF or has built-in drivers for that speeder/drive enhancement. By the way, the Hyper-Xf uses ultraspeed, a very common mode for floppy drive speeders (including Happy, Speedy, US-Doubler and others; but please note that the Hyper-XF has no track/cache-buffer). My-DOS has absolutely no built-in drivers for any speeder/drive enhancement out there. So with MyDOS the Hyper-XF will be as slow as a normal 1050 or a XF without highspeed.

Hmmm... When I used to use an XF regularly in the 90s, after very heavy use the high-speed sector skew disks started being read slowly (using SpartaDOS X). I took the drive apart, oiled the spindle, cleaned the heads, and greased the metal bars the head slides along. All was well.

I'll give that try, one good cleaning, what did you use for a grease and oil? Thanks!

Edited by walter_J64bit

Oh - I used to have a little tub of sewing machine oil or something: I applied it with a cotton bud. The runners can get clogged up with dust, so they may need a good clean with a small paintbrush first, then you can smear oil on them. I guess vaseline might work, too. It was a long time ago, but I can tell you it did the trick. That drive was working flat out for about twelve years. I even ran it standing on its side for a while to reorient the bearings. I was pretty paranoid about it giving up the ghost, but it's still going strong today. :)